Self-Defense with what you have with you everyday and at all times

This is a discussion on Self-Defense with what you have with you everyday and at all times within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this and have to say I'm impressed. It's not a style of fighting that takes years to learn because it's not really fighting, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Self-Defense with what you have with you everyday and at all times

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

I found this and have to say I'm impressed.

It's not a style of fighting that takes years to learn because it's not really fighting, it's targeting and destroying of body targets. It's not about technique and how you look but just getting the target and destroying it and then moving on to the next one until the other guy can not move or dead. Lots of what done here is and will kill the opponent. So IT'S not something one would use for what I'd call your everyday fight of showing someone who's top dog at the local bar but could every will save ones life.

Enough so I spent the 27 dollars for what's shown at the bottom of the long write up after hitting "I'm ready to get started-What should I do" button on the link shown here.

https://www.targetfocustraining.com/

What say you?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Here's what I say; what they say, is nothing new, or shouldn't be new info for anyone who has heard me say the fighting is a " thinking mans game" over the years here on this forum.

You can learn all the gunfoo crap you want, but if your head is not screwed on straight, and you don't free up your brain to allow survival instinct to filter thru, then you cannot fight to your full capacity.

A little simple example is that one time as a young 5 or six year old, I was left on this farm to be babysitted while my folks went out of town. It was an absolutely torturous event for me. They had two older kids that tormented and picked on me, and made my life a living hell.
    One day I was running from them, up a hlll, and into an area with high grass. I found what looked like a water trough and hid inside( it had long dried up).
    Before I got in, I picked up a big dirt clod. As I heard them approach with my heart about to beat out of my chest, I waited. I waited until the very moment they got to the edge of the trough, sprang up and busted one full force in the face with the clod of dirt, at contact distance. It exploded sending dirt into his eyes and busting his nose and lips wide open.

The other ran off. Sure, my mom and dad beat my butt, but it was worth every lick.

But what made me think of that in the first place? It had to be total instinct.i had no other training at 6 years old or nothing else to draw from.
    You have to calm your fear, and let your instincts run the show.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Thing I am seeing here is not that the fight is mindset, which it is, but rather that there are spots on the body that once hit and truly damaged your body reacts from that hit and you lose all thought to what you were going to do but rather you want to protect that spot. Myself I don't know those spots, learning them in my eyes would be good thing to know. I known one should hit beyond the spot you are hitting but this has shown to use your body weight in the hitting and punching through the target. They talk about going through the body with the hit. You should be standing where they were standing or beyond that spot when the hit is done.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Here's what I say; what they say, is nothing new, or shouldn't be new info for anyone who has heard me say the fighting is a " thinking mans game" over the years here on this forum.

You can learn all the gunfoo crap you want, but if your head is not screwed on straight, and you don't free up your brain to allow survival instinct to filter thru, then you cannot fight to your full capacity.

A little simple example is that one time as a young 5 or six year old, I was left on this farm to be babysitted while my folks went out of town. It was an absolutely torturous event for me. They had two older kids that tormented and picked on me, and made my life a living hell.
    One day I was running from them, up a hlll, and into an area with high grass. I found what looked like a water trough and hid inside( it had long dried up).
    Before I got in, I picked up a big dirt clod. As I heard them approach with my heart about to beat out of my chest, I waited. I waited until the very moment they got to the edge of the trough, sprang up and busted one full force in the face with the clod of dirt, at contact distance. It exploded sending dirt into his eyes and busting his nose and lips wide open.

The other ran off. Sure, my mom and dad beat my butt, but it was worth every lick.

But what made me think of that in the first place? It had to be total instinct.i had no other training at 6 years old or nothing else to draw from.
    You have to calm your fear, and let your instincts run the show.
    Wow! We're twins!

I found out early the best way to deal with bullies is to engage with absolute fury. Win or lose, they seldom wanted seconds. Nowadays it seems suicide is the politically correct response, a sure-fire lose-lose reaction. Kids, put down your cells and smack your bullies in the snout. It will be worth it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Unless you are in a padded cell you are never truly disarmed. Just a quick look around where you are will revel many weapons to be used for striking or thrusting; you merely have to have the resolve to use them to protect yourself from an attack.
    tdave and glockman10mm like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've heard of Tim Larkin, but know very little about him.

I won't say yes or no.

Take from this what you will.

TIM LARKIN TFT - SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Wow! We're twins!

I found out early the best way to deal with bullies is to engage with absolute fury. Win or lose, they seldom wanted seconds. Nowadays it seems suicide is the politically correct response, a sure-fire lose-lose reaction. Kids, put down your cells and smack your bullies in the snout. It will be worth it.
    Oh Emm Gee! That's so politically incorrect! How dare you ask that our little precious darlings actually learn to deal with, and cope with, the realities of the real world. Isn't it much more forward thinking to ignore the simple answers??? How else could we find reason to use all the great buzzwords and create generations of entitled mindsets where coping skills are replaced with the celebration of the victim mentality?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Thing I am seeing here is not that the fight is mindset, which it is, but rather that there are spots on the body that once hit and truly damaged your body reacts from that hit and you lose all thought to what you were going to do but rather you want to protect that spot. Myself I don't know those spots, learning them in my eyes would be good thing to know. I known one should hit beyond the spot you are hitting but this has shown to use your body weight in the hitting and punching through the target. They talk about going through the body with the hit. You should be standing where they were standing or beyond that spot when the hit is done.
    Sorry, I misunderstood the original post; well my opinion in that light is strike soft tissue. Eyes, throat, groin.
    True martial arts are " war arts". And that is what you are talking about, regardless of style or orgin.
    And that means staying on your feet. It does no good to be working a disabling joint lock on the enemy on the battle field I'd someone can come up and skewer you with a spear, bayonet, or whatever.
    Bad Bob and gatorbait51 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

When I was in Junior High School in the 1950s it was seventh, eighth, and ninth grades. I was in the seventh grade and played football. A ninth grade kid loved to pick on me. We were setting on our helmets while the coach talked. Every time the coach wasn't looking, the kid would pick up a rock and hit me with it. I had enough and exploded. I knocked the bigger kid off of his helmet and onto his back. I was on top of him with one hand on his throat and swinging my helmet by the face shield towards his face. The coach caught my arm before I could hit the kid with my helmet. There were 1"X12" boards on the ground that we practiced running with our feet on the outside. One had broken off on one end that made a handle. The Coach had both of us bend over. I can still hear the swishing noise of that huge paddle before it hit. The kid never picked on me again. Today, the coach would go to prison for the same thing and I would be expelled and have to go through anger management and therapy.
    Last edited by LimaCharlie; April 6th, 2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
    tdave, Butterdog, JDE101 and 3 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    From his site:
    For nearly 20 years TFT founder and creator, Tim Larkin, has been well known in the self defense & close-combat training world but ‘under-the-radar’ to ordinary folks like you. He’s the guy operations like the US Navy SEALs, Army Special Forces and the US Border Patrol call in behind-the-scenes to teach them when it’s “kill-or-be-killed.”
    That is complete and utter BS. So because of that, would I buy anything from this guy? Not a chance.
    gatorbait51 and Bad Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    When I was in Junior High School in the 1950s it was seventh, eighth, and ninth grades. I was in the seventh grade and played football. A ninth grade kid loved to pick on me. We were setting on our helmets while the coach talked. Every time the coach wasn't looking, the kid would pick up a rock and hit me with it. I had enough and exploded. I knocked the bigger kid off of his helmet and onto his back. I was on top of him with one hand on his throat and swinging my helmet by the face shield towards his face. The coach caught my arm before I could hit the kid with my helmet. There were 1"X12" boards on the ground that we practiced running with our feet on the outside. One had broken off on one end that made a handle. The Coach had both of us bend over. I can still hear the swishing noise of that huge paddle before it hit. The kid never picked on me again. Today, the coach would go to prison for the same thing and I would be expelled and have to go through anger management and therapy.
    Sounds like you have a " anger management" issues. Don't you know there is help for that now? :))
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I had bright red hair growing up (still do, but not so bright) and I can't count the trips to the principal's office I made for fighting. Red hair is a target for bullies (particularly the dumber ones). I had a limit on how far I could be pushed before exploding, and a trip to the office was no big deal after my own personal justice was served. I wasn't known as "Wildman" for no reason. [Probably shouldn't have said that.]

Not intending to disparage anyone, but I am astounded by the number of suicides by service members and kids alike. To me it's a tale-tale sign of the changes in society since my generation. Somewhere along the road, the younger generations forgot or never learned how to suck it up, make things right, and move on.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

I have an especially fond memory similar to yours Glockman.

Something somewhat similar had happened to me earlier that day. I went home to an empty house and changed my clothes.
    My fear from earlier turned to rage. I decided to watch the kid's house. I saw him get his brand new 3 speed bike and put some money in his pocket. He was heading for the store for some candy. The stupid goof always went the same way there and back.

I chose the perfect spot to ambush the . At the exact right moment I ran out grabbed the handlebars of his bike and shook them like a madman. He and his bike were wobbling like Jello in a windstorm. He fell off and crumbled to the ground. I flung his bike down to the ground and it skittered along the pavement scratching it all up. Then I began to whale on him like nobodies business. I punched him like 30 times in the gut till he went down like a busted sack of spuds in the middle of the street.

Later I caught Hell for it cuz the puke lied to his folks about the events earlier in the day that led up to my actions. I got bawled out but no spanking.

He missed 3 days of school. The doctor made a house call and that cost them a few bucks. Me and my Sister were never allowed in their yard again. His mom and my Mom were never friends again. His mom always gave me dirty looks after that but I didn't care. I'd beat the ever loving snot out of Vern and he KNEW IT.

The puke never so much as looked at me sideways after that.

That afternoon was one of the best days of my life.
    gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I had bright red hair growing up (still do, but not so bright) and I can't count the trips to the principal's office I made for fighting. Red hair is a target for bullies (particularly the dumber ones). I had a limit on how far I could be pushed before exploding, and a trip to the office was no big deal after my own personal justice was served. I wasn't known as "Wildman" for no reason. [Probably shouldn't have said that.]

Not intending to disparage anyone, but I am astounded by the number of suicides by service members and kids alike. To me it's a tale-tale sign of the changes in society since my generation. Somewhere along the road, the younger generations forgot or never learned how to suck it up, make things right, and move on.
    Exactly. How weak and stupid is our society today when kids decide that, " well, I'm being picked on, and it really upsets me, so I'll just kill myself".
    Twisted thinking.
    JDE101, gatorbait51 and OldVet like this.

Another thought on what you carry with you everyday is that you are standing on two "ax handles ".
    Your shin bones.
    Drive them hard and deep into an attackers side of the leg, about 4 inches above the knee, and compress the peroneal nerve, and they will go down in extreme pain. And most will think you broke their leg. It works.
    And the effects are temporary, but they won't be walking for a while.
    OldVet and gatorbait51 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links