One thing I LOVE (ok sometimes hate) about training

This is a discussion on One thing I LOVE (ok sometimes hate) about training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So went and did a little more training this past weekend. We shot the "index and standards" test and the "Federal air marshal tactical pistol ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By miller_man
  • 1 Post By PhoenixTS
  • 1 Post By miller_man

Thread: One thing I LOVE (ok sometimes hate) about training

Distinguished Member

So went and did a little more training this past weekend. We shot the "index and standards" test and the "Federal air marshal tactical pistol course". Both were great "tests" or "courses". Learned a good bit about some of my capabilities and a good few things I need to REALLY work on.

One thing I have found that I love about training -at least with a group, set drills and a timer - there is no hiding! No excuses, no "kinda", "think I did well/good enough". You've got your target, # of rounds on target and some time in between beeps to make it happen. No internet BS talk, No "15 yrds" that is really 7, no "I'm sure I could/can".

You shoot your drill, then there is holes in a target and an achieved or failed time limit - and it's all out there for everyone to see. It's kind of nice to have something so clear cut, cut and dry, pass or fail.

At the same time - its so easy to hate as well. Failed the drill? No hiding it. Couldn't reach the time goal, couldn't make the shots in the target - it's all there - cut and dry, lol. This really shows your weaknesses clear as day.

I just about surprised myself with some drills and then just embarrassed myself with others. But I love it, even when I find out I suck at something.

Found out my draw times are not horrible, and I can keep my rounds on target for the most part - especially when I don't slam myself through it - smooth is good, real good, but the clock adds a tough element to keeping it smooth. A few times - pushing myself way past my envelope/skill level - some shots didn't even hit the silhouette!! That's an eye opener - personally I'll strive to never let this happen anymore.

Found out my reloads SUCK!! Proactive, emergency, malf clear - didn't matter, they all were pretty sad + slow. Don't usually practice those too much, it's in my weekly routine now . For some reason I don't do great shooting drills from low ready - will work on including more drills from low ready.

It was another great experience, and valuable things were gained. I ended up passing the standards test by 1 point, lol, and failed the Fed air marshal test by a fair amount. Looking forward to doing these again in the future and seeing how I've progressed.
    molleur likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Yes! Instant and unbiased feedback.
    miller_man likes this.

Glad to hear it. I am hoping that once I get a bit more consistent at hitting a target to try some of these kind of tests. I know we are states away, but where did you hear about the tests?
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Distinguished Member
    Smooooove it the key. Use factory ammo.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    Glad to hear it. I am hoping that once I get a bit more consistent at hitting a target to try some of these kind of tests. I know we are states away, but where did you hear about the tests?
    Never seen/heard of them before - went to my first training weekend a few weeks ago, Suarez Intl., and got invited to come back to a "regional training day", this time they happened to be working on pistol skills and I guess our instructor picked these tests, as they do cover a lot of over all pistol skills.

You know, I waited to take some training until I felt "good enough" - really wish I would have jumped right in, I would encourage you to not wait as I did. Trust me some people that were in our class were pretty novice, but by the end of the weekend they were WAY improved and capable of doing the drills just like everyone else. But most of all they had a way better idea of the more important things (at least for SD) to focus on/ work on.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Links