25 yard strong and weak hand skill using flash sight picture

This is a discussion on 25 yard strong and weak hand skill using flash sight picture within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I was visiting my friend at the store today, I went ahead and used the range. I just so happened to have a bag ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: 25 yard strong and weak hand skill using flash sight picture

25 yard strong and weak hand skill using flash sight picture

While I was visiting my friend at the store today, I went ahead and used the range. I just so happened to have a bag of fresh handloads on me, so, I felt like I needed a little practice.

I remembered the hot debate about the need for 25 yard shooting, and I decided to start out at that range which is as far as it goes. Using my G27 all factory equipment, I drew and starting with my right hand, began firing as soon as it felt " right". I was not taking my time to aim in the proper way of alignment, but firing using a technique called flash sight picture.
    During the left hand drill, I took this pic to give an idea of what I saw in reference to the target. Keep in mind, this target is a 1/2 sized to a full size standard humanoid to begin with.
    image.jpg

I don't know how many rounds I fired, but I fired quickly, as soon as the pistol came down from recoil. I estimate about a second a shot, or even quicker. ( a few times I fired again before I wanted too).

Concentrating on the white bullseye, and using only the front sight as reference, I think this clearly illustrates the possibilities of shooting at distance, quickly and accurately regardless of two handed,strong side only, or weak side only. It was actually very easy to make these hits to the point that anything much closer was actually too easy to be useful.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Give this a try during your next range session. Even simple things like this done on a square range can improve your overall ability.
    Regardless of your training background, or philosophy, you never know what skill you may need. A man with a gun is just as dangerous to you at 25 yards as he is at 7,10, or whatever. But distance, can be your friend if you know how to use it.

But you can't hurt'em if you can't hit'em!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

glockman10mm wrote:
    Regardless of your training background, or philosophy, you never know what skill you may need. A man with a gun is just as dangerous to you at 25 yards as he is at 7,10, or whatever. But distance, can be your friend if you know how to use it.
    Exactly. You never know when a skill may be needed.....

BTW, nice shooting.....
    Ghost1958, 357and40 and Aceoky like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Exactly. You never know when a skill may be needed.....

BTW, nice shooting.....
    Thanks Harry. I haven't shot in about a month or so, since I've been working on my bow shooting. But I try to make my time as productive as possible and work on the more elusive skills.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Mighty fine shooting especially at that distance with that technique !!!
    Ghost1958 and 357and40 like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    Mighty fine shooting especially at that distance with that technique !!!
    Thanks. The Colt 1911 makes this type of shooting so much easier than with the short G27 and stock configuration, at that distance. But I carry the G27 almost exclusively in the warmer season, and it need to get some trigger time also.
    It regardless of the gun, I strongly believe a decent level of competence needs to be developed with anything you carry and use. But the baby Glocks are certainly no pushover.
    Eric357, Aceoky, molleur and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Thanks Harry. I haven't shot in about a month or so, since I've been working on my bow shooting. But I try to make my time as productive as possible and work on the more elusive skills.
    Getting out of the comfort zone is hard for a lot of folks.

You probably lost half of our members by using the term " flash sight picture "
    OD*, 357and40, RickyD and 6 others like this.

Mighty nice shooting
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Have been really working my weak hand shooting, after 4 operations on elbow an shoulder I gave my 1911's to my sons when I cleaned out safe before retiring. I had limp wristed several times at the range because of how weak my arm had become. After 6 months of really working at it my weak side has really improved. I have been shooting much better with it, to the point I picked up a compact 1911 an really love shooting an carrying it. Now ready for full size again not sure what I will get kinda like the looks of the sig nightmare no experience with them but it looks really nice.
    Aceoky and molleur like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Getting out of the comfort zone is hard for a lot of folks.

You probably lost half of our members by using the term " flash sight picture "
    You know what?; I never even thought about that when I said it. I suppose I took it for granted that all would know the term. Hey, if not, that can be a good thing if anyone can learn something new.

Up closer, from say contact to about 10-15 yards, I don't even reference the sight at all. The funny thing is, I never started out to be a point shooter at those ranges. I guess with so much time behind the trigger we just sort of evolve.
    Aceoky, Pinot, Eric357 and 5 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    There's a number of top trainers that place value on the 25 yard line. Part of Defoor's Pistol Standards involve the 25 yard line (a full sprint up to it, plus drawing from concealment, IIRC), and Vickers' "Humbler" is another one that comes to-mind (albeit aimed more at precision, IIRC, most of "Humbler" is far from fast shooting, but it is *EXTREMELY* demanding). Heck, I know a lot of people poo-poo Costa's seemingly glam-rock training without having attended, but take even his basic class, and you'll see that students push out to the 25 at least a quarter of the time to work on the finer aspects of the fundamentals.

I like to work the 25, too. Most RSOs say that they almost never see clients push it that far out with pistols, and I am still surprised by that, even today.

Thanks. The Colt 1911 makes this type of shooting so much easier than with the short G27 and stock configuration, at that distance. But I carry the G27 almost exclusively in the warmer season, and it need to get some trigger time also.
    It regardless of the gun, I strongly believe a decent level of competence needs to be developed with anything you carry and use. But the baby Glocks are certainly no pushover.
    ^ I think this is huge.

Train with what you carry. Even if it doesn't make for the prettiest targets at the end of the day.
    OD*, molleur, miller_man and 3 others like this.

You know what?; I never even thought about that when I said it. I suppose I took it for granted that all would know the term. Hey, if not, that can be a good thing if anyone can learn something new.

Up closer, from say contact to about 10-15 yards, I don't even reference the sight at all. The funny thing is, I never started out to be a point shooter at those ranges. I guess with so much time behind the trigger we just sort of evolve.
    When I have mentioned it around others at the range and have had people ask what I am talking about..

Up closer for me is a little different. I am point shooting out to about 15 feet, then I am on the front sight. I my arms are extended I am running the sights. Time and repetition behind a weapon IMO is best.....

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball
    Up closer for me is a little different. I am point shooting out to about 15 feet, then I am on the front sight. I my arms are extended I am running the sights. Time and repetition behind a weapon IMO is best.....
    No substitute for practice.
    My local range is only 15 yards, but I do the same.
    Glockman, good shooting pal!
    Did I mention practice...
    Last edited by OD*; April 14th, 2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Repair quote
    Eric357, 357and40 and Ghost1958 like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    When a man shoots like that one handed at 25 yards, imagine his confidence inside 10 yards. All of those fundamentals apply at most any range.

Most BG's wouldn't want to be on the dangerous end of that muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    When a man shoots like that one handed at 25 yards, imagine his confidence inside 10 yards. All of those fundamentals apply at most any range.

Most BG's wouldn't want to be on the dangerous end of that muzzle.
    That's the idea. Distance can be used to your advantage. It's all in being able to exploit the cards you are dealt. Who ever can do that, will probably prevail.

Distinguished Member
    Another good thread about some real practice/training. I now always shoot a mag or two out at the furthest distance at my range (15 yards). Not gonna say I do it one handed or to warm up with lol, not yet anyways - but working on this has made shooting all around easier and I'm more confident at longer distances.
    357and40 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links