Another Great Weekend At Tactical Defense Institute

This is a discussion on Another Great Weekend At Tactical Defense Institute within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a do-over of Handgun II and III this past weekend after having gone through it for the first time a few years ago. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Another Great Weekend At Tactical Defense Institute

VIP Member

I did a do-over of Handgun II and III this past weekend after having gone through it for the first time a few years ago. Without going into detail about material covered, suffice to say everything made much more sense and was much easier to digest after having done it before. I was surprised to see how much I had retained, applied and improved, but was also able to rectify a few things which didn't soak in the first time through. My biggest takeaway was my need to spend more time with weak-handed shooting. It became abundantly clear in the live-fire house.

I got to spend some time training with instructors I haven't seen in subsequent classes I have taken there. I was able to convey a couple real-life experiences to one instructor, Bill Posey, whose furtive movement block of instruction my first time through helped me render positive outcomes from not one, but potentially two subsequent lethal force encounters.

I'll be returning to TDI later this year for Handgun VI and F.I.S.T. Based on this weekend's experiences, I have now decided to re-take Handgun IV-V and Active Shooter/Terrorist next year. I am anxious to learn what I missed first time through.
    DRM and Pistology like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Sounds like a fun time! Truth be told Mike, we all need more weak hand practice.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Sounds like a fun time! Truth be told Mike, we all need more weak hand practice.
    Yup. No matter how many times I slapped that trigger, the rounds just kept hitting to the right of where I wanted them.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member
    It does sound like it was a good weekend at the range. We could probably all learn something, that's why I try to take classes when I can. As you said it's amazing how much more you can retain after you've had a couple of classes.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

I have to get down there one of these days. Sounds like you had a good time, and got outside of your comfort zone. Thanks for sharing...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Returning to TDI is on my to-do list. Great instructors in a relaxed learning environment. And 3-4 of the instructors are avid cigar smokers so they get an additional thumbs up in my book! How's Jack the Wonder Dog?

Sponsored Links