Different techniques for shooting semi/J frame snub

This is a discussion on Different techniques for shooting semi/J frame snub within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my first semiauto yesterday--Glock 19! Can't wait to take it to the range. I hope to get some one on one training soon, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By LimaCharlie

Thread: Different techniques for shooting semi/J frame snub

Different techniques for shooting semi/J frame snub

I got my first semiauto yesterday--Glock 19! Can't wait to take it to the range.

I hope to get some one on one training soon, and the instructors I've seen nearby lean heavily towards semiautos rather than revolvers. I'm not sure if I'll get any snub time (but I'll bring it anyway). As I'm working on my technique with the Glock, is there anything I should be doing differently with my arms or wrist angle when I switch to practice on my LCR? I've tried the Miculek grip, but my hands aren't big enough to do that comfortably.

2. Remove Ads

Keep your fingers and the web of your shooting hand out of reach of the slide.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

A glock 19 pistol, and a snub nosed revolver are two different tools made for two different set of tactics. I agree that most modern instructors tend towards auto-pistols. Fighting with service sized revolvers is kinda sorta similar to fighting with a service sized autoloader. Fighting with a snub nosed revolver is different than fighting with a full sized auto, revolver, and a compact auto as well.

AS you examine your lifestyle and reasons for carrying in the first place you can decide for yourself what individual weapon is best for you in any given situation. My opinion is anyone with a fairly active life, and can afford it should own a service sized autoloader and a small snub nosed revolver. All bases will be coverd.

I've been carrying revolvers and auto's for more years than I care to admit. I really thought I was the cat's meow when it came to revolvers. I recently purchased a book on snubby revolvers. (I have CRS and cant remember the name right now). I learned a whole bunch, and remembered a lot of what I forgot. The Snubby Revolver by Ed Lovette.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    A glock 19 pistol, and a snub nosed revolver are two different tools made for two different set of tactics. I agree that most modern instructors tend towards auto-pistols. Fighting with service sized revolvers is kinda sorta similar to fighting with a service sized autoloader. Fighting with a snub nosed revolver is different than fighting with a full sized auto, revolver, and a compact auto as well.

AS you examine your lifestyle and reasons for carrying in the first place you can decide for yourself what individual weapon is best for you in any given situation. My opinion is anyone with a fairly active life, and can afford it should own a service sized autoloader and a small snub nosed revolver. All bases will be coverd.

I've been carrying revolvers and auto's for more years than I care to admit. I really thought I was the cat's meow when it came to revolvers. I recently purchased a book on snubby revolvers. (I have CRS and cant remember the name right now). I learned a whole bunch, and remembered a lot of what I forgot. The Snubby Revolver by Ed Lovette.
    Congrats on a great purchase. The G19 is by far my favorite pistol. I did this video awhile back that might help you,
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Interesting. My g19 it's my least favorite. I find it neither fish nor fowl. Too big for easy concealed carry at nearly 30 ounces loaded, and too long for easy appendix carry if one must sit for significant periods. I find it best for OWB but I do ask myself why not the 17 then?

It's badly beaten by the shield, xds and pm 9 for citizen concealed carry as well. They are thinner, lighter as shorter.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." -G.S. Patton

I assume you know this already, but just in case: be careful of the trigger. A Glock trigger is a whole different animal from an LCR trigger, and poor trigger discipline will be punished much more easily. Not that I'm saying you HAVE poor trigger discipline. Just that not long ago I watched a revolver guy ND at the range with his first auto for this reason. Fortunately it was pointed downrange, but at about a 45 degree angle upwards. Doubtless it went over the berm.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    Congrats on a great purchase. The G19 is by far my favorite pistol. I did this video awhile back that might help you...
    Great video on how you should be gripping your automatic. When going to the small frame LCR, you may not have room to keep thumbs clear of the cylinder gap. Also, thumbs forward could drag on the cylinder. Go to a grip with the strong hand thumb tucked behind the cylinder, and the weak hand thumb crossed across the blackstrap of the LCR.

Yes, thank you. My video is for semi autos only.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    Interesting. My g19 it's my least favorite.
    It's badly beaten by the shield, xds and pm 9 for citizen concealed carry as well. They are thinner, lighter as shorter.
    ...and they only have slightly more than 1/2 the capacity of a G19. With the right holster, belt and clothing, I've had no problem driving 5-7 hours while carrying my G19 AIWB.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

Getting back to the O/P's origonal question. There is always more than one way to skin a cat. My advice is to spend some time with the Glock at the range. Heed the advice of those who seem to make some sense to you. As you practice, you may develop your own personal grip. If it's safe, and it works for you... Practice, practice, practice until it becomes second nature. I gues what I'm saying is to pay as much attention to what works for you as what the "experts" tell you.

At the same time I strongly recomend that you shoot the "J" as much as the Glock. The grip and trigger pull for that gun should be reinforced as much as possible.

I know it's unpopular but I'd also recomend installing the NY trigger in the Glock pistol.

Links