Tactical vigilance from the Book of Nehemiah!

This is a discussion on Tactical vigilance from the Book of Nehemiah! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, please do not turn this into a religious discussion on the right to bear arms. This thread will disappear faster than you can say, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Tactical vigilance from the Book of Nehemiah!

Distinguished Member

First, please do not turn this into a religious discussion on the right to bear arms. This thread will disappear faster than you can say, "born again".

I was reading the Book of Nehemiah this morning and really got into chapter five. The Jews, who were kicked out of their homeland for 70 years, returned as a small remnant of those who had been deported. Their sworn enemies, the Samaritans, were enraged that not only had they returned, but were rebuilding their defensive perimeter wall that had been destroyed by the Babylonians. This was no easy task as the wall and its gates were torn down with very little but scattered stones, burned out gates, and a circumference of 4.5 miles. Their enemies plotted in secret how they would attack the Israelites and stop any more attempts to rebuild the defensive wall.

Nehemiah got wind of this and the people, as well. The Israelites were terrified. Showing insightful and courageous leadership, Nehemiah did six tactical maneuvers:

1. He exhorted them to "keep on keeping on".
    2. He made them literally stay in their same clothes the whole time. No changing into pj's at night so to be fully ready for combat.
    3. He immediately dispatched companies of fully armed men and stationed them at the lowest and weakest parts of the unfinished wall.
    4. He made every man carry a sword at his side. In fact, the workers literally worked with one hand, while holding a sword in the other.
    5. He stationed guards around the walls at night, ready to sound the alarm if an attack was coming.
    6. He broke the men into two teams: Those who did the work, and those who stood nearby, fully armed, ready for combat. Then they would switch roles the next day.

When the Samaritans found this out they gave up the surprise attack. However, Nehemiah did not let down his defense for one moment, keeping the men on full alert until the wall was finished.

Pretty cool, IMHO.
    zacii, mkh, Ghost1958 and 19 others like this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Cool enuf for a Like from me Bubba.

One other little thing there I believe the phrase is Born Again. For a Redneck I'm a bit of a stickler for capitalizing certain words at certain times.
    aznav and Remy like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    In fact, the workers literally worked with one hand, while holding a sword in the other.
    6. He broke the men into two teams: Those who did the work, and those who stood nearby, fully armed, ready for combat. Then they would switch roles the next day.
    Good thoughts except for these two. Working with only one hand would more than double the time to construct the wall and cutting your labor in half would more than double it again. This is what guards/watch towers are for - give enough notice/slow the attack for everyone else to get ready.

VIP Member
    My son and I are watching "The Bible" series on Netflix this week (a bunch of one-hour episodes). It's impressing me with how much swordplay was a critical skill in those days. I'm reminded that even Abraham, who was just a regular guy with no military training, was no slouch with a sword and was able to throw-down even when outnumbered, in order to rescue Lot. Peter had a sword on him in the Garden of Gethsemane and didn't hesitate to swing and cut off a soldier's ear.

In a day and age when we so depend on firearms for tactical warfare, I'm reminded of the value of good hand-to-hand and sword skills. Swords were a key tactical advantage when David entered the walls of Jerusalem through the aqua duct. It allowed him and a small team to quietly slay the gate guards and open the gates to his invading army before the city could react.

I'm really enjoying the series, as it allows me to see the Bible through the eyes of the people, with aspects that were likely there but not elaborated upon in scripture.
    aznav, NONAME762 and BenGoodLuck like this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Sun Tzu would have attacked the Samaritans and ended the threat once and for all.
    Badey, BenGoodLuck, mkh and 1 others like this.
    Firearm Training at its best. www.ocats.com

From Chapter 3 it appears that at least several of the builders were working on sections near their own homes. People protecting their own just might have an incentive to be more diligent than hired help who have no personal stake in whatever they are "protecting".

John W in SC
    aznav likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Another cool part is that it started out slow and small, because of secrecy and peoples doubts. But, as the people started to join in, they eventually came to be a sizeable group (over 42,000 chapter 7:66).

In whatever you face, it is best to have some friends around to help in the protection. (neighborhood watch, etc)

Good post aznav
    aznav likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    He did not allow the enemy gossip and slander to interfere with his mental game.
    aznav likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    My son and I are watching "The Bible" series on Netflix this week (a bunch of one-hour episodes). It's impressing me with how much swordplay was a critical skill in those days. I'm reminded that even Abraham, who was just a regular guy with no military training, was no slouch with a sword and was able to throw-down even when outnumbered, in order to rescue Lot. Peter had a sword on him in the Garden of Gethsemane and didn't hesitate to swing and cut off a soldier's ear.
    Agreed. A very unknown guy I like to read about is Shamgar. He killed 2000 philistines with an Ox Goad. Tell me that didn't have some serious skill!
    WHEC724 and aznav like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    The book of Judges also mentions of some of the warring tactics used by the Israelites. BTW, in biblical times Judges were actually military leaders not judges as we think of them today.
    aznav and WHEC724 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    The book of Judges also mentions of some of the warring tactics used by the Israelites. BTW, in biblical times Judges were actually military leaders not judges as we think of them today.
    Yup. Back then 'Judges' were more like Judge Dredd.
    aznav and 5lima30ret like this.

This is also Rick's tactical plan on "Walking Dead"!
    aznav likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member
    BTW, you do know who the shortest man in the Bible was?

Knee-high Miah.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I took note last time I read that passage too. I think you could do away with the sword in the hand and leave it in the sheath, but it definitly gets the point across.
    Walk softly ...

Senior Moderator
    Peter had a sword on him in the Garden of Gethsemane and didn't hesitate to swing and cut off a soldier's ear.
    Peter never meant to cut off the soldier's ear.
    He meant to cut off his head and he simply bounced it off the soldiers helmet, instead cutting that ear off.
    He missed.

It tickles me to think that many think that Peter intended to cut his ear off.
    If you understood Peter, you would understand that Peter wasn't timid. Killing a Roman soldier wouldn't have bothered him a bit.
    aznav, Badey and zacii like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links