"25 Yard Club"

"25 Yard Club"

This is a discussion on "25 Yard Club" within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So....after reading these threads: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...long-shot.html http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-your-edc.html I figured I would see what I can do at 25 yards with one of my EDC's. The photo ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree357Likes

Thread: "25 Yard Club"

VIP Member

"25 Yard Club"

So....after reading these threads:

If you need that long shot
    How important is 25 yard accuracy with your edc?

I figured I would see what I can do at 25 yards with one of my EDC's. The photo below is a five shot "grouping" (as loosely as the term can be used) with my XDS at 25 yards. Two handed shooting, no rest. This was not rapid fire, either - probably about 5 - 10 seconds between shots. Here I had three in the orange right away, but then #4 was low left and #5 was at the mid-section 9. I tried this after shooting 50 rounds with a Glock 30S and 50 rounds through the XDS, mostly rapid fire point shooting. So I was "warmed up."

This landing pattern was typical - I'd usually get a couple in the orange or very close, but always the last one or two were extreme flyers.

As for the XDS, it's a post recall 3.3" .45ACP, and the trigger is rather heavy - it ain't no target pistol. Usually when I had a flyer I knew it.

This was a very humbling experience. On the positive side it is good to know that I have no trouble placing rounds on target at 25 yards. On the negative side it's disheartening that my accuracy falls off starting at shots three or four.

I've never taken the XDS out to 25 yards before - it was quite a challenging experience!

I thought it might be interesting to see other photos of 25 yard attempts, so please post some photos along with a description of the gun.

Edit: Here's the bad guy at 25 yards.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Yeah!!
    Way to go man! That's pretty darn good. Now you know you can do it and where your gun hits.

I did some 50 yard work with my EDC firing my carry loads and practice loads. I have to aim about 15 inches under the area I want to impact. No pics from today, but overall not bad.
    I think I could ring that 80 yard gong that Hickock 45 uses a few times with my G27.
    zonker1986 and voodoo304 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

At 25 yards with a compact I'd be okay with that. I don't watch Hickok45 videos and go shoot just like I don't watch LeBron and then go shoot hoops.
    nortelrye and Phaedrus like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yeah!!
    Way to go man! That's pretty darn good. Now you know you can do it and where your gun hits.

I did some 50 yard work with my EDC firing my carry loads and practice loads. I have to aim about 15 inches under the area I want to impact. No pics from today, but overall not bad.
    I think I could ring that 80 yard gong that Hickock 45 uses a few times with my G27.
    Glockman10mm, I appeciate your humble encouragement to a fellow shooter, but you know damn good and well that you can ring that 80 yard gong with a G27 !!!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    Glockman10mm, I appeciate your humble encouragement to a fellow shooter, but you know damn good and well that you can ring that 80 yard gong with a G27 !!!
    I have my days:) some are better than others.

But I seriously believe that practicing distance really makes you learn your EDC and become a much better shot.
    PEF is on his way.

Next?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Pretty darn good from 25 yards with a subcompact!!!
    mano3 and RichB70 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Great shooting, there!!
    I did the same with my XDs .45 and was quite proud of the fact I hit the paper with every round at 25 yards... most all in your 7 ring N-E-S & W.
    Did about as bad with my G27, S&W 340 snub, Shield .40 & some other EDCs... but I generally practice at 15 yards on a standard "Q" target w draw & double tap.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Wow! That's some fancy shootin'!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Well thank you all for the kind words. I'm going to incorporate 25 yard practice in my range time. I can tell you that if I attempted rapid fire defensive shooting I would have been lucky to land one in the green. Hopefully some others post some pics!
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

this is a 25 yard mag dump with my G23 with an extra 5 round dump cleaning out my pocket, about a second between shots using 165grn wwb

not great but i killed that BG
    the mini dots are covering old holes

I tried 3 rounds at 100 yard yesterday hit my stopping bank didnt even scare the target

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    So....after reading these threads:

If you need that long shot
    How important is 25 yard accuracy with your edc?

I figured I would see what I can do at 25 yards with one of my EDC's. The photo below is a five shot "grouping" (as loosely as the term can be used) with my XDS at 25 yards. Two handed shooting, no rest. This was not rapid fire, either - probably about 5 - 10 seconds between shots. Here I had three in the orange right away, but then #4 was low left and #5 was at the mid-section 9. I tried this after shooting 50 rounds with a Glock 30S and 50 rounds through the XDS, mostly rapid fire point shooting. So I was "warmed up."

This landing pattern was typical - I'd usually get a couple in the orange or very close, but always the last one or two were extreme flyers.

As for the XDS, it's a post recall 3.3" .45ACP, and the trigger is rather heavy - it ain't no target pistol. Usually when I had a flyer I knew it.

This was a very humbling experience. On the positive side it is good to know that I have no trouble placing rounds on target at 25 yards. On the negative side it's disheartening that my accuracy falls off starting at shots three or four.

I've never taken the XDS out to 25 yards before - it was quite a challenging experience!

I thought it might be interesting to see other photos of 25 yard attempts, so please post some photos along with a description of the gun.

Edit: Here's the bad guy at 25 yards.
    Good shooting PEF! The sub-compacts are not the easiest things to shoot at this distance.

I think I recognize the range - Sharpshooters in Roswell?

VIP Member
    Looks good to me!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Nice shooting. Glad to see more people taking up the challenge. Just remember switching focus between the front sight and a distant target can be very tiring on your eyes and holding a 2# gun at arms' length for a minute (5 shots x 10 sec) is also tiring - both reasons for your last shots to be off. Try spending more time focusing on the top edge of the front sight and send 'em downrange a little quicker. 90% of shooters are doing good to keep a group like that at 7 yds. Keep up the great work.

Ok, I went to the truck and got my target from this afternoon. Disregard the small holes, they are from my 03a3 from 150 yards. All holes made by G27 are circled. Not the best shooting I've done, but I'm still learning this gun that I've only had for about 2 months. ( also my eyes are still blurry from allergies, and I didn't wear my prescription glasses. All true , but makes me feel better to say it:)
    All shots off hand, 50 yards, 18 shots fired. 9 Hydra Shok, 9 handloads, 7 on the paper:(
    Glock 27image.jpg
    PEF, CWOUSCG, subhuman and 7 others like this.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links