Hyponatremia

Hyponatremia

This is a discussion on Hyponatremia within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just spent about 36 hours in one of the local hospitals for this. Probably some dehydration as well (some vein collapse, I still don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Hyponatremia

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar

Hyponatremia

I just spent about 36 hours in one of the local hospitals for this. Probably some dehydration as well (some vein collapse, I still don't know if hyponatremia alone will cause that. Mainly, though, I flushed too much sodium and maybe potassium out of the system. It's happened before, but it 's been awhile. I recognized the onset but could not replace fluid or electrolytes fast enough, mainly due to nausea. It was a catch-22--I could reduce the nausea by drinking something, but it was hard to get myself to drink enough because of the nausea. If I could have tamped the nausea down I probably could have avoided the hospital visit.

Biggest problem was they didn't start to work on me for 3.5 hours after I got to ER. By the time they were sticking me for the IV, I was unable to control muscle twitching and painless cramping.

Ladies and gentlemen, do learn from my experience--make sure you not only drink a lot, but pay attention to electrolyte (mainly sodium and potassium, but there are others as well) replacement. People have died despite what you would think of as sufficient hydration because they flushed themselves out too much. Make sure when you are working in hot weather that you get some of everything in on a steady and consistent basis, and do not wait to be thirsty to take it in. By the time you're feeling like you should, you're past the point where you can catch up.

To be able to train, you need to stay healthy. Paying attention to things like this is as important as making sure you have enough ammo and magazines for the class. Don't stint on any of it.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

It seems counterintuitive, but a salty snack is your best bet. I run long distances (13-18 miles) and have discovered that even electrolyte drinks do not contain enough sodium on a hot day. Pickles, pretzels, potato chips... Although I prefer pickles, as they are not dry.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
    and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    if you work in hot conditions a lot you should keep spme salt tabs handy... then you can just hydrate with clear water...
    being a full-leathers-wearing in hot summer heat welding on pipeline in the blazing sun in the open prairie, i know this problem too.

hope you bounce back, man.

EDIT- google "thermo-tabs" or salt stick - for those who don't know what they are
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

I found out the hard way. Keep the hospital out of the loop if you're smart. Once they're involved if you haven't got top notch Blue Shield or the equivalent use someone else's or an enemies name.
    welder516 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    It is a well known fact that pickle juice used in the NFL and in college football will relieve cramps and provide the necessary electrolytes for the bodies needs under stress.
    CLASS3NH and Recon1342 like this.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

VIP Member
    OP,
    Thank you for the informative and warning post. A lot of us "know things" but tend to forget the details as we live our lives. Thanks for reminding us how to pay attention to what seems like the little things so we can live our lives in a more healthy manner!
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    sorry you had to sit in the ER. It is too bad the people use the er as a clinic and people like you who need care have to sit.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Thanks for the info! I drink a lot of water but don't use any 'sports' type drinks. Living in Florida dehydration from daily activities is a concern. I remember back in the 60s in basic tng etc they used to have salt tablet stations set up. Of course, as we're told over and over by our physicians salt is bad........ maybe not so.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    We got an inch of snow yesterday, but when it warms up enough to sweat, I'll keep that in mind.

But, this is a serious condition. It hit big in the military in the 90's when some drill sergeants made a recruit over hydrate without any electrolytes. They've gotten much better at pushing powder drinks and including diet with hydration.

Gotta keep health in mind with each changing season!

VIP Member
    I just went through a bout of “stomach flu” and the amount of fluid loss can be just as bad or worse, anytime anyone has a similar problem it is important to maintain hydration.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    It is a well known fact that pickle juice used in the NFL and in college football will relieve cramps and provide the necessary electrolytes for the bodies needs under stress.

If you say so...

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Glad you're okay!

It's a damn good thing I'm only 5 sheets to the wind otherwise I'd be standing a Captain's Mast. I am damn lucky I never joined the US Navy.

HUA
    kaikane0812 likes this.

Ive done the same thing twice. When its hot drinking to much water and not replacing sodium and potassium can be very dangerous. Both times EMTs were working the same event I was doing security on and when I refused to go to the hospital they mixed some plain table salt into water and had me sip on that for a few hours in a cool place.

The worst part is once you have it happen for a good many weeks afterwards you are more susceptible to it happening again if your not careful.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

C'mon CR You know better than using yourself to make a point. We appreciate the effort but we need you here. Tell us what you think we need to know, don't show us!
    Heal fast and take care.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links