SIRT Training

SIRT Training

This is a discussion on SIRT Training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering ordering a SIRT to use in firearms training for basic students. Any of you guys use the SIRT for your courses and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SIRT Training

SIRT Training

I am considering ordering a SIRT to use in firearms training for basic students. Any of you guys use the SIRT for your courses and if so, what do you think?
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

You spelt it rong, it's Cert's, and I'm not sure they make those anymore. But if you're getting up close and personal with your students, I can certainly understand the need.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Distinguished Member
    My kids got me a SIRT gun for Christmas. Red laser for targeting and green when you hit trigger break. I turned off the red so I can practice no sight shooting at closer ranges. No bad guy on tv is safe from me and I have "destroyed everything in the house multiple times. Sometimes I turn off the lights at night and wander around familiarizing myself with where likely threats might come from and hitting them quickly.

Frankly I love it. It is based upon the glock 17 platform and my carry weapons are the 19 and 26. Close enough. I get tons of practice drawing and firing and I know where the shot went. The more you practice correctly the better you get. Just get the practice right and away you go.

I find it translates quite nicely to my other weapons. For Easter we were visiting the grandkids down in Southern Utah and their Church group had a shooting activity. About 30 guys showed up along with me the old father in law figure. I suffer from a condition known as familial trembling so I'm no threat at distance but these folks set up with 4 shots from 7 yards, 4 from 5 yards with each hand (8 shots total) and 4 shots from 3 yards in under 8 seconds (both hands). Surprisingly I won easily. I credit it to lots of shooting with both my regular weapons and my SIRT .

The SIRT simply allows you to practice things indoors that involve more risk. Safely. And as I said, the more you pull the trigger correctly the better you get, even if it only goes flash.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by herpjunkie View Post
    You spelt it rong, it's Cert's, and I'm not sure they make those anymore. But if you're getting up close and personal with your students, I can certainly understand the need.
    NextLevel Training
    farsidefan1 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Get a plane ticket to Boise!

Idaho Shoot/don't Shoot courses
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I could only afford to buy a hat... but I'm feeling better about my skills already!
    B_2keys and Secret Spuk like this.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

VIP Member
    Secret Santa sent me a SIRT and I use it for dry-fire practice indoors when I can't go to the range. I have also started to use with my four-year-old son for firearms safety. I do enjoy it; it kept my trigger finger happy over the winter and is great for navigating through the house with and "shooting" from unusual positions. I like aiming at the TV when I'm in bed.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I am considering ordering a SIRT to use in firearms training for basic students. Any of you guys use the SIRT for your courses and if so, what do you think?
    I've used a SIRT gun (full-size Glock, double red lasers) for about a year now, and like it a lot. It allows me to check them on things like sight alignment, propper trrigger press, etc. before we get out to the range.

As others have mentioned, it also allows me to do some excellent dry-fire work on my own.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I've used a SIRT gun (full-size Glock, double red lasers) for about a year now, and like it a lot. It allows me to check them on things like sight alignment, propper trrigger press, etc. before we get out to the range.

As others have mentioned, it also allows me to do some excellent dry-fire work on my own.
    Ditto--great tool.

I think for classes they can be great training aids.

For personal practice I think you are better off just getting a laser grip. I don't own one, but I've used them and I'd think once you have an understanding of trigger control you are kind of done with it. The benefit is showing you how much your movement translates into where the bullet hits. With experience that settles down to a minimum and the SIRT isn't going to be much help.

Quote Originally Posted by herpjunkie View Post
    You spelt it rong, it's CERT, and I'm not sure they make those anymore. But if you're getting up close and personal with your students, I can certainly understand the need.
    He might have spelt it wrong but you spelled the word WRONG WRONG is how it is spelled not RONG. Not to worry mate. We return you now to your regular broadcast but first a musical number brought to you by Crafty Devils. They're rude and crude and ever so delightful.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunTeacher View Post
    I think for classes they can be great training aids.

For personal practice I think you are better off just getting a laser grip. I don't own one, but I've used them and I'd think once you have an understanding of trigger control you are kind of done with it. The benefit is showing you how much your movement translates into where the bullet hits. With experience that settles down to a minimum and the SIRT isn't going to be much help.
    For me the benefit of the SIRT over the laser grip is that the SIRT can be set to only indicate where the shot would have hit when you pulled the trigger. The laser grips come on when you get a good grip on the gun and that can lead to a subconcious adjustment of the presentation, sort of walking the shot to the target. Plus the auto-reset trigger allows double taps and multiple target use, again with the actual shot break itself isolated.

Well I have ordered one up and i will let you all know what I think about it after it arrives and i have had some time to play with it.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I think they are great for point and shoot practice.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Id never seen or heard of a CERT, or a SIRT but I have installed a lot of SERT targets! [ Self Erecting Rifle Target ]. They are usually pneumatic targets that pop up, spring out, or turn on command. DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links