Idaho Shoot/don't Shoot courses

This is a discussion on Idaho Shoot/don't Shoot courses within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forward Movement Training Center has Shoot/Don't shoot training course available for civilian in a format exactly like what POST police academies offer. This is great ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Idaho Shoot/don't Shoot courses

VIP Member

Forward Movement Training Center has Shoot/Don't shoot training course available for civilian in a format exactly like what POST police academies offer. This is great training for the serious Concealed Carry individual that will prove invaluable to you if you are ever involved in a shooting.

See below:

FMT Shooting Simulator – The VirTra 100LE Judgment Simulator

Few people who own firearms for personal protection have the skills and decision making ability to deal appropriately with a threat under real-life stress situations. So, when a critical situation arises they either fail to respond, or they respond in ways that put themselves or others at even higher risk. Don’t let that person be you. Shooting practice alone will not solve this problem. That is why law enforcement and military special operations personnel all use shooting simulators as a critical part of their training. Until now, these simulators have not been available for use by civilians in our region.

FMT owns a state-of-the-art shooting simulator, and has made it available for use by civilians. Our simulator is one of only three such training tools available for use by civilians in the Western United States, and it is the only one available to civilians in Idaho.

Our simulator is the closest thing you can get to honing your skills in real life experiences. In a single 45-minute training session, our instructors will coach you through several of the hundreds of scenarios available, providing valuable guidance on how to improve your performance and decision making under stress conditions.

If you currently have a concealed weapons permit, or are contemplating getting a concealed weapons permit, or you keep a gun for home protection, we highly recommend that you spend time practicing life and death decision making on our simulator, while at the same time receiving guidance from our highly qualified instructors.

When training in our simulator room, you will be given a Glock 22 training weapon. Our training weapons are designed to have a recoil that is nearly identically to a .9mm hand gun. Each weapon is outfitted with a laser tracking device so that both you and the instructor can replay your scenarios and see where your shots landed.

Our simulator is not a video game. It is a high quality training tool. The simulator screen is 14 feet wide and 10 feet tall, offering life sized, HD quality simulations. The simulations are filmed using professional actors with special effects that create heightened realism. You will even have the option of wearing a device that provides a mild electric shock to signal you when you have been shot by a simulated bad guy.

Each scenario includes a number of branching options. These branching options enable the instructor to control how each scenario will play out. You will be the one who decides whether or not to use force, to give verbal commands, or to use other options to mitigate the risk, while your instructor controls whether the actors cooperate, fight, shoot, or become verbally aggressive. Your own decision making skills determine the outcome of each scenario, and the instructor de-briefs you on each completed scenario, making recommendations on how to improve your performance, your response time, you’re your decision making.

Keeping a gun for safety in the home, or carrying a concealed weapon can be a huge liability unless you are trained in the decision making processes that help ensure that you will use your weapon properly under high stress situations. Being properly prepared means more than simply owning a weapon and getting a permit. It requires that you receive the proper instruction in simulated shoot scenarios, ranging from home invasions, street robberies, and hostage situations. FMT is your best choice to receive the highest quality simulated training of real-life shoot situations.

For scheduling and availability contact mitch@forwardmovementtraining.com
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Sounds like fun. I haven't been through shoot/don't shoot in years, I'm definitely more confident because I went through it.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

I'll say it for about the 1000th time. Whether someone reacts well.... is more of a mindset ..... then training. A fighter, will fight and use their training. I've seen folks who you would never suspect, cut and run the minute a shot was fired.... and they were some of the best trained individuals you could find (in a Police Dept). I'm not saying "training" won't help someone ... it will, what I'm saying is.... if they don't have the "mindset" , all the training in the world will make little diference.
    ntkb and Secret Spuk like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I think... aww heck who care what I think...lol

Eagleks kind of nailed it in my opinon. His experience is similar to mine. The O/P is an advertizement more than a post for discussion. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I applaud the forward movement organization for including the non sworn civilian in it's available training including the shoot/dont shoot show.

The idea that most non sworn civilians dont have the capacity to make proper decicions is, cant be true. I'm not saying that this training isnt needed, I suggest that we all are born with a firm sense of right and wrong. I believe that essentially we mostly make good decisions. Those who do make poor decisions will probably continue to do so after training on this tool.

I have used a similar system during my time as a cop. They are better than anyone could imagine. They definately make you adjust the way you may see things. They are worth the cost. But... They dont turn an idiot into Einstein. The problem in my opinion is these tools will become equated with a better skill set. At the end of the day it's still a game.

If we think about training and mindset as an either-or equation, we've lost. It's both-and. Training can adapt and enhance (or degrade) mindset and vice versa. Same for Nurture vs Nature.

I've seen highly-trained, uber-experienced, ultra-respected people go screwy at the first shot, and quiet rookies who had to claw their way through training to qualification turn into modern versions of Leonidas. I was somewhere in between, I think. But even those demure rookies had a strong foundation of training under their belts.
    TVJ likes this.

VIP Member
    I posted the info because it was easier to cut and paste than type it myself.

The discussion is taking two seperate paths here, which is not uncommon for this forum where somebody starts talking one thing and folks wander off into the woods on another.

The discussion is about shoot/don't shoot threat scenarios, it isn't about mindset training, which is a whole different subject. Both are valid things to train to and worry about, but if you want to exercise your mind and reactions, the shoot/don't shoot offered is worthwhile training. As stated by NH_Esua it is a continuum of training where one compliments the other.

As for defense after a shoot, good solid training will help you defend yourself and show that not only were you serious about training and the responsibilities of firearm carrying, but that you had practiced exercising your judgement in stress situations.

Or I guess the lawyer could just explain how the level of training was posting opinions in a forum.....
    N.M. Edmands likes this.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I'll say it for about the 1000th time. Whether someone reacts well.... is more of a mindset ..... then training. A fighter, will fight and use their training. I've seen folks who you would never suspect, cut and run the minute a shot was fired.... and they were some of the best trained individuals you could find (in a Police Dept). I'm not saying "training" won't help someone ... it will, what I'm saying is.... if they don't have the "mindset" , all the training in the world will make little diference.
    OK, other than training how do you get "the mindset"......climb a mountain and hum/chant with a guru?

You develop your mindset with training and working through scenarios and exercising your skills. Read "On Killing" by LtCol Grossman....practice makes perfect.
    farsidefan1 likes this.

I dont think were wandering off the path by bringing up mindset. A good mindset without realistic training puts the defender in poor position.
    Good training without the proper mindset is just as bad if not worse. I dont think one could choose one over the other. One is about as useless without the other. You can learn fast draw, deadeye accuracy, proper gun handling and let three guys walk up and put a gun to your head. Or you can see it coming three guys stalking you and closing is. Then panic because you have inferior training and skill set.

Mindset and training go hand in hand. One is deminished without the other. My point is that shoot/dont shoot is training that tends to compliment the proper mindset. At the end of the day though... it's a game.
    Chorizo likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I dont think were wandering off the path by bringing up mindset. A good mindset without realistic training puts the defender in poor position.
    Good training without the proper mindset is just as bad if not worse. I dont think one could choose one over the other. One is about as useless without the other. You can learn fast draw, deadeye accuracy, proper gun handling and let three guys walk up and put a gun to your head. Or you can see it coming three guys stalking you and closing is. Then panic because you have inferior training and skill set.

Mindset and training go hand in hand. One is diminished without the other. My point is that shoot/dont shoot is training that tends to compliment the proper mindset. At the end of the day though... it's a game.
    Agreed...the two go hand in hand, but to be dismissive of training and say, " Whether someone reacts well.... is more of a mindset ..... then training." fails to recognize the interdependence of the two. As I said before, you can't go sit with a guru on a mountaintop and chant and magically get mindset.
    CWOUSCG likes this.

My luck I would climb to the top of the mountain and the guru would be out to lunch.
    IMO training helps set the mind and mindset helps set the training. It not about shooting but fighting with a gun. Dry firing, practice drawing, range shooting, etc, etc, etc.....

I use the reaction trainer from laserlyte once a week and go to the range for live fire once a quarter.
    In my opinion learning from this forum and training videos is a great way to get your mind prepared.

VIP Member
    Can we just agree that one must be rough & tough and experience being shot at and shooting at someone before knowing how we will react? I think that it is pretty self evident. Good, now we are past the machismo we can acknowledge that some will react positively to the pressure, some will freeze and some will panic. Those are the facts. Just because some have already "been there done that and got the T shirt" that doesn't mean that those who haven't been there etc. won't respond just as well when they are faced with the challenge. And additional training will help immensely, just as it helped those who served in Vietnam or whatever other heckhole (again Sixto, note my restraint :) so rather than pouncing on every training opportunity as hollow unless one (choose your experience choice) has "done it" can't we just graciously realize that there was a time when we were "green" and maybe many of those without that experience might actually perform greatly when called upon. Mind set is not only granted to those with experience. It can be developed. Check out the marines, rookie cops. They all started somewhere and got trained or "coached up". On some it takes and some it doesn't but the training doesn't hurt anyone.

Whew had to get that off my chest.
    RebelSoul likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Hey Farside....

I get your point... Kind of. Having been there and done that does absoloutly make a difference. How can it not? There is nothing macho about it. I'm of the opinion that most people will react in a positive way and act to defend themself. I dont see any member of this forum panicking or freezing. While I have seen it happen, it was always a particular kind of personality. One that I've never on D/C.

I think most of the people who've been there and done that are more trying to correct some wrong assumptions, and to share their experiences and observations. Nothing macho about it. I for one want everyone to understand how to defend themself.

Training is good, the proper mindset is good, a proper firearm is good. My opinion is that all three are needed. We all understand that training makes a difference. It's the mindset that comes from listening to the voice of experience. I do have issue with some who reference a book, or a guru, or regurgetated opinions of armchair commando's. Why get information from the horses a$$ when you access to the horses mouth?

VIP Member
    Sorry, you missed my point. I was targeting those who discount the value of training and then rant about how when the chips are down and the shooting starts the training won't help. Of course experience helps. Nothing like taking fire to evaluate your responses. My irritation is at those who disparage others who are advocating further training as wasting their time and money because it is useless once the adrenalin kicks in.

PS, what the heck are you doing up at 5:41 am? Thought you were retired. When I retire I will only get up that early to fish.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

"At the end of the day though... it's a game."

Only if the "trainee" makes it a game and the "trainer" allows it.
    Chorizo and Secret Spuk like this.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links