Hierarchy of Needs in Skillset

This is a discussion on Hierarchy of Needs in Skillset within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may have been covered sometime before but I'm curious as to others views on what they consider a Hierarchy of needs in specific skillset ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By AOK
  • 1 Post By Fizban
  • 1 Post By AOK
  • 3 Post By TSiWRX
  • 1 Post By AOK
  • 2 Post By QKShooter
  • 2 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By AOK

Thread: Hierarchy of Needs in Skillset

This may have been covered sometime before but I'm curious as to others views on what they consider a Hierarchy of needs in specific skillset in a life/death/great bodily harm whether that situation is already happening or avoiding it all together if we are caught off guard. I'm sure lists will vary to some extent. Your hierarchy of needs can be based on your real world experiences, your training background, wisdom past on from others or all of the above.

For example, the order in my mind includes:

1. Managing Unknown Contacts (coined by Craig Douglas) - Learning how to stay out of trouble rather than getting OUT of trouble. Understand how criminals work and think. Develop a set of skills and tactics including verbiage and proper movement which are easily repeatable in stressful situations.
    2. H2H - Learning basic strikes both verticle and horizontal including: palm heal strikes, elbows, hammer fist, and knees. Develop good footwork and body control. Understand how to avoid getting knocked out and/or down and getting back to your feet as quickly as possible should you get down. Empty hand weapon defense. All these skills should be able to bridge/integrate into bringing a tool into the fight if necessary.
    3. Medical - I can easily see this at the top of the list as we will likely need to use specific knowledge to assist or save someones life through basic medical treatment such as first aid and cpr.
    4. Firearms - specifically handguns. Understand how to run your gun safely and efficiently. Getting your gun out into the fight in an acceptable time frame however you carry on a daily basis. Develop a realistic understanding of what a handgun can and can't do. Learn how truly FIGHT with a handgun in areas such as contact distances, dynamic movement, use of cover, learning when to bring your gun into the fight, etc.
    5. Impact tools/Sharp weapons/Woo's - I like using some basic techniques that can integrate well into edged weapons. Understand basic points of attack and realistic effects of tools if applied properly. Learn how to fight with everyday items in our lives.
    6. Edged Weapons - There are times many people will say an edge weapon is better than a firearm in certain situations. True enough. I placed this behind Impact Tools because there are places we not only can't go with a gun but we also can carry a quality knife to fight with. Again, I think it's important to learn about areas to attack and what to expect when fighting with a knife.
    7. Firearms - Long guns. This may rub a few people the wrong way but this is my personal list. Not someone elses. I have this on the bottom of my list as I don't even plan to use a long gun for home defense. I don't drive around with a long gun in my vehicles and I don't have it with me all day-everyday. In all honesty, while I own long guns and shoot them on occasion, I have never trained how to fight with them as I never can honestly visualize myself in todays society. I feel my money is better spent elsewhere.

There are certainly some areas I am missing in this list such as non-lethal weapons (I didn't include mindset or physical training as I am more interested in others opinions on fighting with their hands and tools). There are also areas I'm missing in this short list when I add a few sentences to each listing. This is just some very basic thoughts based on training I have received over the last several years (not including long guns) as well being open minded and learning from others who have training and/or real world experience in fighting. Again, I'd like to see how others view the the hierarchy of needs to survive a fight or potential fight for that matter.
    TSiWRX and gatorbait51 like this.

If you are asking about subset skills within the principals self defense?.. I think that is over intellectualizing it a bit. Hierarchy of needs is a term that is typically associated with physiological / sociological considerations.
    Last edited by Fizban; May 3rd, 2014 at 09:49 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Correct, I couldn't think of what to call it or title it. With that said, hierarchy has to do with an arrangement of importance. My goal is not to "over intellectualize" anything. I'm just curious what others think is the levels of importance based on others experiences. Sometimes I'm not as great with words as others to get my questions or thoughts out there....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I'm going to bring Mr. Defoor's Blog entries in to DC.com yet again.

Kyle Defoor: Training Balance and How Good is Good Enough? (Part 1)
    Kyle Defoor: Training Balance and How Good is Good Enough (Part 2)

^ Which sparked a short yet sweet discussion on M4C.net's Training sub-Forum: Training Balance and How Good is Good Enough? By Kyle Defoor

For me, fitness/conditioning is the least fun - but it's definitely what I need most, and I'm proud to say that as of the past 5 months or so, I'm starting to align my "needs" list with my "get it done" list (i.e. Part 2 of Defoor's Blog entry, where he detailed matching your strength/weakness list versus your priorities list).

I exist in the real world, so yes, this reallocation of my resources has displaced my firearms training. But in the overall analysis, not only do I think that Mr. Defoor's prioritization makes sense, I also think it's more important for me, an average citizen, as a first-line survival/winning tool.

Now to get in on some of Southnarc's offerings.....
    dondavis3, AOK and gatorbait51 like this.

Good read, thanks TSi!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Administrator
    "Medical" while (no doubt) important seems quite out of place as #3 on this particular list of hierarchy VIA importance.
    It should possibly be of primary importance on a different list.
    gatorbait51 and AOK like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Good list AOK...

You should get a lot of different answers based on what others think their needs are. All of what you have listed pertains IMO to all of us. For me I do not have a specific list. Each situation is different. My aim is to take that type of list and remain fluid in what I need. Seeking an opportunity to win the fight, rather than use a specific tool in my skill set. Hope that makes sense....
    AOK and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

It does indeed!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sponsored Links