Writing lessons plans for defensive handgun class

This is a discussion on Writing lessons plans for defensive handgun class within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking for some advise on writing lesson plans on a defensive handgun class I am trying to put together for the range. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Writing lessons plans for defensive handgun class

Writing lessons plans for defensive handgun class

I was looking for some advise on writing lesson plans on a defensive handgun class I am trying to put together for the range. I know the material but have trouble put in a form to teach to students. Any advise or links to help would be appreciated.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Do you need a reference for the entire lesson, or an outline of a handgun 1 class...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    What level class.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk249 View Post
    I was looking for some advise on writing lesson plans on a defensive handgun class I am trying to put together for the range. I know the material but have trouble put in a form to teach to students. Any advise or links to help would be appreciated.
    What are you trying to impart?
    glockman10mm and gatorbait51 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

That should be easy if you have ever done a High School term paper or College term.
    If you know what you are talking about it should flow rather easily.

Keep it simple, straight forward, and on line with the level of the class base experience.
    It's a basic narrative.
    It's easier to give advice, if we had more information on your target group, and what you are trying to impart.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

PM with lesson outline sent....
    mano3 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Good question but a little more info would help. Basic outlines on what should be covered will depend on time and shooter experience.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Some sources for ideas of how to divide up the various info that's useful to SD:

gatorbait51 and Navydude like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

\
    sorry but if you are having trouble putting in a form for people to understand you have no business trying to teach a handgun class.
    Fizban likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My dad was a great shooter but a poor teacher. He had no time for thos that didn't understand, and assumed that others already knew the subject. But what he was good at was demonstrating the basics, and insisting you did it right the first time. I taught skiing and snowboarding using a progressive method of teaching small lessons that like building blocks build skill as they are stacked on each other. Every few minutes Id give them a new skill to work on. By the end of the day the students had enough experience to safely get on and off a lift, and safely down the hill. And they could answer questions about why we did things that way. The more advanced students did not get bored, and the less advanced did not get left behind. This method works well for all skill levels but has to be based on the average skill set of the students. Good luck DR

Quote Originally Posted by photoman6 View Post
    \
    sorry but if you are having trouble putting in a form for people to understand you have no business trying to teach a handgun class.
    Dear Sir
    I am in fact an NRA instructor for 6 years and have been teaching my state permit class for the same amount of time. I have also taught several individual students.I have also taken other training classes by other instructors. I have plenty of material and EXPERIENCE, and trying to expand on this. So if you have nothing positive to contribute please refrain from saying anything.

VIP Member
    Dear Sir
    I am in fact an NRA instructor for 6 years and have been teaching my state permit class for the same amount of time. I have also taught several individual students.I have also taken other training classes by other instructors. I have plenty of material and EXPERIENCE, and trying to expand on this. So if you have nothing positive to contribute please refrain from saying anything.
    Great, but again, what are you hoping to impart in the class for which you wish to formulate a lesson plan?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Unless I'm teaching an NRA course, in which case I stick pretty close to the required curriculum and I don't add stuff, otherwise the class runs way too far over. But when I'm teaching advanced pistol or CCW legal courses I work from an outline, or off a powerpoint.

I have my outline with my personal reminder notes in the margins to jog my memory so I don't forget pertinent items. Even when you teach the same class over and over you (well "I" anyway) can get off on a tangent and forget vital info if you don't have an outline.

As for developing course flow, the NRA instructor notebooks generally offer good instruction flows. You can modify the process to fit your specific class. For example I teach a non-NRA basic pistol/CCW class. I start with the safety rules, then gun operation, ammunition, malfunctions, etc. Then on to grip, stance, etc., with dry practice. Later we talk defensive tactics, attitude, laws, etc., then on the range briefing a replay of safety and operations, then firing activities, testing, certificates.

The above sentence takes about 6 hours in class and 2 on the range to accomplish BTW.
    Secret Spuk and Navydude like this.

While I dont teach anything related to firearms, and self defense...

The first thing I do is set my time constraints. Including time for breaks, introductions, and Q&A periods. I also plan to run over time. I find this important as a class or an indiviual student may require more time, or the class may become involved in an unplanned important discussion.

Second is I lay out the material I need to impart to the students in a linier logical manner, breaking the material into three or four blocks to be seperated by bathroom breaks. Important note is the older your students the more important are the bathroom breaks...

While power-point and computer graphics my impress the class, not everyone reads or comprehends at the same speed. I always include hand-outs. Some subject matter is covered exclusively in these hand-outs. This will allow the student to follow closer to their own speed, and have reference material to review in their own time.

While the subject I teach is not firearms, there is enormous and varied kinds and level of energy. So I begin each class with a safety review. During each block and on every sub-subject I include safety considerations. I always end with a safety discussion. My personal style is that I allow questions at any time during any lecture. I NEVER ridicule or denigrate a student for a question. Questions asked can be a usefull tool to the instructor to understand the individual student and what material is actualy getting through.

There is a bit more I do, but this is the basic technique I use. I've found another thing that works is to have someone else go over the outline, soI can correct or make changes on something I may have missed.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GunTeacher View Post
    Unless I'm teaching an NRA course, in which case I stick pretty close to the required curriculum and I don't add stuff, otherwise the class runs way too far over. But when I'm teaching advanced pistol or CCW legal courses I work from an outline, or off a powerpoint.

I have my outline with my personal reminder notes in the margins to jog my memory so I don't forget pertinent items. Even when you teach the same class over and over you (well "I" anyway) can get off on a tangent and forget vital info if you don't have an outline.

As for developing course flow, the NRA instructor notebooks generally offer good instruction flows. You can modify the process to fit your specific class. For example I teach a non-NRA basic pistol/CCW class. I start with the safety rules, then gun operation, ammunition, malfunctions, etc. Then on to grip, stance, etc., with dry practice. Later we talk defensive tactics, attitude, laws, etc., then on the range briefing a replay of safety and operations, then firing activities, testing, certificates.

The above sentence takes about 6 hours in class and 2 on the range to accomplish BTW.
    Sounds to me like you pretty much have it together. The idea that you spend so much time in the classroom is what most impress me. My opinion is that many instructors dont spend enough time in the classroom in favor of burning up a bunch of ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links