The Dynamic Movement Progression from a Students Point of View

This is a discussion on The Dynamic Movement Progression from a Students Point of View within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hopefully someone will find some helpful info in this read. Myself being a student who has trained with Roger Phillips find it to be a ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: The Dynamic Movement Progression from a Students Point of View

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

Hopefully someone will find some helpful info in this read. Myself being a student who has trained with Roger Phillips find it to be a good read. Tells where and what he teaches and how it came to be.

The Dynamic Movement Progression from a Students Point of View (without any revision and as posted in May 2007) | Fight Focused Concepts
    TSiWRX and rockinglock32 like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

What is "Dynamic Movement Progression" ? in words i can understand please...

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    What is "Dynamic Movement Progression" ? in words i can understand please...
    Getting the hell out of the way of incoming bad guys....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Dynamic Movement is movement being more than just taking a step or two and being faster than a walk. In your mind you are thinking about movement and "not getting shot" more than making the hit but at the same time you want to be able to make the hits you need to stop the fight.

Being able to make the disabling hits while running. Unless you know what you can do or can be done by other you'll most likely say it can't be done, without and open mind. So the question is do you have an open mind or do you know what can be done by you or others?
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. In this case it's about Roger's progression from what he got in Modern Technique training to what he's doing and teaching now, and some of the thought processes he went through at each step. A short history of his own development of the practice and theory behind getting the hell out of the way of incoming bad guys, in other words.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. In this case it's about Roger's progression from what he got in Modern Technique training to what he's doing and teaching now, and some of the thought processes he went through at each step. A short history of his own development of the practice and theory behind getting the hell out of the way of incoming bad guys, in other words.
    Gotcha, roger is teaching us all how to walk and run, I see. I have been doing that for 40 years, no need re-invent the wheel...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post

Thanks harry... Now I understand. A lot of tacical technique, and methods are called different names by different instructors. I know it as "FEETS DONT FAILS ME NOW!"

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Thanks harry... Now I understand. A lot of tacical technique, and methods are called different names by different instructors. I know it as "FEETS DONT FAILS ME NOW!"
    More like "feet don't fail me now" as we fill them full of holes at a sprint.

Gotcha, roger is teaching us all how to walk and run, I see. I have been doing that for 40 years, no need re-invent the wheel...
    In 53 years I have never seen anyone make the hits at the speed my student base is moving........heck I have never seen anyone even try to get the hits at the speed that they are moving.

At some point the wooden spoke wagon wheels were replaced by alloy wheels that can handle up to 760 MPH........so while the wheel does not need to be reinvented, it can definitely be improved and has been improved consistently throughout history.

Lot of catchy terminology and dance steps worked into shooting a firearm now a days. An old goat can hardly keep up. Heck I never learned to do the Hustle or the Electric slide.

Reckon Im dead meat
    Secret Spuk, OD* and Bad Bob like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Lot of catchy terminology and dance steps worked into shooting a firearm now a days. An old goat can hardly keep up. Heck I never learned to do the Hustle or the Electric slide.

Reckon Im dead meat
    Not necessarily what is being implied.

The Balance: “To Hit and To Not Be Hit!"

Since 2001, there has been some very nice work done in the arena of the “reactive” gunfight. This had largely been a forgotten/missing piece of the puzzle. As we have worked on bringing this piece of the puzzle back to the forefront, many exciting, effective, and efficient methods have been discovered, or more aptly rediscovered. These less well know methods have caught many peoples attention and the study of the reactive gunfight has taken on a growth at an exponential rate. The excitement at this growth and the wealth of knowledge that has come out of it has lead to some of the very best training courses that the private sector has ever offered. These courses have raised the reactive gun fighting skill sets to a status that will never allow for them to be forgotten again. With such great success and focus, the reactive gunfight skill sets have taken a very predominant role inside of the training industry. The amount of change that I have witnessed since 2001 is simply astounding.

As soon as we became comfortable with our new found training philosophy, Murphy reared his ugly head. With the recent cases of mall shooting and church shooting, along with the threat to see even more of this type of attacks, it has become very clear that there needs to be a seamless integration between the proactive gunfight and the reactive gunfight. The focus can not just be on typical combat distance. They must include all distances, with priorities made to “the most likely.” Now, great strides are being made to seamlessly integrate the proactive gun fight with the reactive gun fight.

"Gun fighting is a thinking man's game." Responses to specific situations have to be firmly grounded in common sense and logic. This is what strategy, tactics, and mindset is all about.

As we look at the fight continuum, we need to understand that the "fight or flight" response is a continuum also. It is not "either/or," it is about varying degrees of the combination of "fight or flight" to come up with the best solution to the problem. This is all about offense and defense and the varying degrees of the usage of offense and defense.

There is no doubt, that in the right place the old saying "the best defense is a good offense" is the very best solution for the problem. This is usually from an extreme dominant position or one where extreme domination of the action is the best solution, tactically and mindset wise, physically and psychologically.

The ultimate goal is to win. If winning is best achieved by taking the adversary out of the fight as quickly and ruthlessly as possible…..then just do it. This is where “The Balance” swings to the offensive minded “to hit” response as the priority response that will end the fight, with you as the victor.

There are also times where the offensive minded “to hit” takes on an equal importance to the defensive minded “to not be hit.” Once again, this is probably from a dominant position or one where dominating the action is the best solution tactically or mindset wise, physically or psychologically. The biggest difference comes down to the extent of initiative that the confrontation started out with and the distances involved. Since it is not an “extremely dominant” situation “to not be hit” has to enter into the equation.

Unfortunately, there are times where we must think defensive first. “Too not be hit” takes on the predominant role, due to the fact that you must survive the initial contact before you can even get into the fight. This is where all of the recent hard work has paid off. Without nailing down the reactive gunfight there simply could not be a seamless integration of the proactive - equal initiative – reactive continuum.

We now have everything in place. We just need to put it in its proper place. There is a definite balance between the “To hit and not be hit” concept that allows for us to have the very best solution to every situation possible.

The Fight Continuum: “The fight will be what the fight will be”

“Situations dictate strategy, strategies dictate tactics, and tactics dictate techniques.”

We must have the techniques down to cover all of the possibilities. These techniques become fluid concepts inside of the continuum's. We must be able to access these fluid concepts, within the correct context of the fight, at the subconscious level. We must be able to apply the concepts, within the balance “to hit and to not be hit” to solve the problem by the most effective and efficient means as possible. From one inch to two hundred yards, from a dominant position, to being way behind in the reactionary curve, and everything in between. We must understand and train with visualization in “The Balance”.

Agree with the fight will be what the fight will be. I guess be able to do what needs to be done to get it done and live through it kinda sums it up for me. Wont know what that might be until the actual fight starts and the bullets are real, losing is dieing, and there aint no do overs.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Wont know what that might be until the actual fight starts and the bullets are real, losing is dieing, and there aint no do overs.
    Ain't that the truth.
    All else is conjecture.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Take an old idea, put a new name on it and people will jump to it. Personally, I dont buy "Croissants" as crescent rolls, are the same and much less expensive.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by Sweatnbullets View Post
    More like "feet don't fail me now" as we fill them full of holes at a sprint.

In 53 years I have never seen anyone make the hits at the speed my student base is moving........heck I have never seen anyone even try to get the hits at the speed that they are moving.

The language I used was intentional. No corrections needed. This whole subject IMO is much ado about nothing. If your getting shot at you move out of the way. Shooting while moving is an iffey situation. Sometimes you can, sometimes you cant. This seems to be a new marketing tool for some instructors. It's human nature that when shot at you try to get real small, behind something real hard real fast. Most people may not know how they will react, but they will react.

This imaginary gunfight everyone plans for is just not how things happen. People seem to think they will have a face to face stand-off fast draw high noon shootout at 21 paces. I suggest everyone see the movie high noon. The actual shootout in that movie is more realistic. My opinion is it will either be from some sort of ambush, or someting your S/A picks up on and your ready for.
    Last edited by OD*; May 20th, 2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Repair quote
    Ghost1958, OD* and Bad Bob like this.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    This says it all.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links