Where to find quality training?

This is a discussion on Where to find quality training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have spent a lot of time with hunting rifles and shotguns, so I know how to use them correctly. To me that transfers to ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By techieccw
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr
  • 1 Post By Wunderneun
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Exacto

Thread: Where to find quality training?

I have spent a lot of time with hunting rifles and shotguns, so I know how to use them correctly. To me that transfers to the basic safety of a handgun, but I know there is so much more involved (e.g. retention, moving with a firearm, etc) . My questions is where do I find quality training? I live in a rural area and don't want to get training from some guy who thinks he knows how to use a gun. Are there any credentials or certifications I should look for?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by techieccw View Post
    I have spent a lot of time with hunting rifles and shotguns, so I know how to use them correctly. To me that transfers to the basic safety of a handgun, but I know there is so much more involved (e.g. retention, moving with a firearm, etc) . My questions is where do I find quality training? I live in a rural area and don't want to get training from some guy who thinks he knows how to use a gun. Are there any credentials or certifications I should look for?
    Tactical Response. Link below. Fighting Pistol would be the course you would probably want to take. Im one of their Alum, and highly recommend their training.

Tactical Response
    First Sgt likes this.

I appreciate the response but i cannot afford to travel. Mainly wanting to know what to look for in a local training course.

IN your area... surely you would be willing to use half a tank of gas to get some decent training.

Red Mist TActical
    Double Tap
    Thunderbird
    KC tactical defense
    Spartan Tactical
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

check NRAinstructors.org you can search for NRA courses in your area. Best foundational classes in most areas.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    See if your Sheriff's Department or local PD has a reserve officer program. If you think you might like to work for the local authorities for little to no pay, they will oft times pay for your mandatory state firearms certification training that is the equivalent of what every sworn officer in the state receives.

It will (or should) cover drawing the firearm, drawing from a position of retention and firing, weapons retention (this was thoroughly gone over in my classes), OC training, baton training, basic physical self defense and subduing a subject, traffic law, criminal law, and many other subjects including CPR classes. All in all, a very good training program and a good experience if you have the time to devote.

You will of course have to give them some of your time, but the free training you receive is worth every minute.
    techieccw likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

What part of the state are you in? Close to Kc? I've been training with Covert Dynamics. They're great. Also check into Extreme Defensive Options, south of Ottawa.
    Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of ones youth, blessed is he who has a quiver full of them.They will not be ashamed, they will speak with thier enemies at the gate.

Psalm 127:4-5

Quote Originally Posted by Plumberguy View Post
    What part of the state are you in? Close to Kc? I've been training with Covert Dynamics. They're great. Also check into Extreme Defensive Options, south of Ottawa.
    I'm 2 1/2 hours from KCK.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    That's what we in Southern Illinois call 'flyover country'. Nothing for miles.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    For me, personally, and of little relevance to anyone else: for serious training I want someone who has been trained by some of the better trainers out there. Someplace in their resume I want to see they have taken courses at API/Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, DTI, LFI and so on. I want them to have a good record among former students and more importantly I don't want to find repeated complaints or comments from folks saying they suggest not going there. Some record of success in shooting sports such as IDPA, IPSC, etc. Doesn't have to be at the national level but they should have some record of successful competition. I look for membership in the NRA and I want to know where they got their instructor training. Lots of folks have been to school and can shoot but they have no idea how to train others.

Here are a couple prior discussions that might help provide a starting point, among other sources ...

Training School List

Who Are Your Favorite Trainers and Why?
    techieccw likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    A good NRA pistol instructor can help you reach a certain level. My advice is to build a good solid foundation with proper training in safety and the shooting fundamentals. After a point, you will need to seek out more Tactically minded instructors, I know, there's that word again, but at least it is used in the correct context. No matter how solid a house you build on a weak foundation, you will always have a weak house. There are quite a few good schools nationwide, you might have to invest significant time and money if you live far from these, but in the long run it will pay off. If you know some police or military who will help you in your area, that's can be helpful. As an example, there is a group who train across the road from me, one an Army ranger and his buds are all Navy seals. They are discreet about what they do, but if you know someone like that it can be a big help.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    If you know some police or military who will help you in your area, that's can be helpful. As an example, there is a group who train across the road from me, one an Army ranger and his buds are all Navy seals. They are discreet about what they do, but if you know someone like that it can be a big help.
    I live 30 miles from a military installation, and know several LEOs. I will try to think of some guys that I could ask.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

There are several good outfits in KY... and there is nothing wrong with "asking around" but I would stay clear of those guys who's experience is highlights by a 2 day seminar, reading some manuals and taking a quiz.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunTeacher View Post
    check NRAinstructors.org you can search for NRA courses in your area. Best foundational classes in most areas.
    Agree. Take the NRA Personal Protection Inside (and Outside) the Home classes. They are the foundation to further training (see below).

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    A good NRA pistol instructor can help you reach a certain level. My advice is to build a good solid foundation with proper training in safety and the shooting fundamentals. After a point, you will need to seek out more Tactically minded instructors, I know, there's that word again, but at least it is used in the correct context. No matter how solid a house you build on a weak foundation, you will always have a weak house. There are quite a few good schools nationwide, you might have to invest significant time and money if you live far from these, but in the long run it will pay off. If you know some police or military who will help you in your area, that's can be helpful. As an example, there is a group who train across the road from me, one an Army ranger and his buds are all Navy seals. They are discreet about what they do, but if you know someone like that it can be a big help.
    After the NRA classes, look for defensive handgun training from some known, credentialed instructors. Some travel so you might score a big name near you without having the expense/hassle of hotels/airfare/etc.
    NRA Instructor

Sponsored Links