Pistol instruction in Eastern KY?

This is a discussion on Pistol instruction in Eastern KY? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know of an intermediate level pistol class or instructors on here who want to teach a guy to shoot better? My shooting is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Pistol instruction in Eastern KY?

Does anyone know of an intermediate level pistol class or instructors on here who want to teach a guy to shoot better? My shooting is decent I guess, or at least decent for only shooting a Shield. I know it could be better though. I'm willing to pay the going rate. I'm in the Huntington/Ashland area.
    RichardA76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR202 View Post
    Does anyone know of an intermediate level pistol class or instructors on here who want to teach a guy to shoot better? My shooting is decent I guess, or at least decent for only shooting a Shield. I know it could be better though. I'm willing to pay the going rate. I'm in the Huntington/Ashland area.
    When would you like to do it ? And, what are your concerns and objectives?
    Aceoky likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'm free most days, so I could schedule something whenever.

I'd like to be assessed firstly. I've only been shooting since January and I've put 800-900 rounds through the gun. I took an NRA pistol class but it was geared toward getting a WV cc permit and I hit my required 11 rounds on the bad guy on my first try and I wasnt going for the wv permit so they moved on. It was my first time shooting a pistol so i only got about 10 min of instruction. It was the same way in my KY ccw class, plus it was dump g down the snow so we didn't stick around.

I'm pretty consistently shooting decent groupd a few inches left and very slightly high when I shoot my normal way. When I try to work on my trigger pull and grip and stance, I do get some bullseyes (7yds) but the rest are scattered somewhat evenly around center. Im really not sure if i'm doing anything correctly though. I'd also like to learn a bit about shooting instinctively at short range, work on recoil control for quick shots in succession, and learn a bit about proper draw from concealed.

I try to go once a week if possible. I've got a membership at NEKFGA. I have a friend who may be interested too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is one of my better groups when I'm really trying to be smooth on the trigger. uploadfromtaptalk1401127180817.jpg

This is one of my better groups when I'm really trying to be smooth on the trigger. uploadfromtaptalk1401127180817.jpg

Not bad PJR. Looks like they were all a hand spread in center mass. Glad you're interested in more training. The CCW classes here really only teach the laws covering handguns and don't spend enough time on the fundamentals itself. I'm sure glockmann will get back to you. Stay safe.

IF you can get any instruction from Glockman10mm - I would suggest you jump at the chance
    Navydude and miller_man like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

I'm free most days, so I could schedule something whenever.

I'd like to be assessed firstly. I've only been shooting since January and I've put 800-900 rounds through the gun. I took an NRA pistol class but it was geared toward getting a WV cc permit and I hit my required 11 rounds on the bad guy on my first try and I wasnt going for the wv permit so they moved on. It was my first time shooting a pistol so i only got about 10 min of instruction. It was the same way in my KY ccw class, plus it was dump g down the snow so we didn't stick around.

I'm pretty consistently shooting decent groupd a few inches left and very slightly high when I shoot my normal way. When I try to work on my trigger pull and grip and stance, I do get some bullseyes (7yds) but the rest are scattered somewhat evenly around center. Im really not sure if i'm doing anything correctly though. I'd also like to learn a bit about shooting instinctively at short range, work on recoil control for quick shots in succession, and learn a bit about proper draw from concealed.

I try to go once a week if possible. I've got a membership at NEKFGA. I have a friend who may be interested too.

I'm gonna send you a PM .
    Aceoky likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Excellent. Thanks!

Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Try to remember when you think your not where you want to be with your shooting, neither are you where you used to be.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Good point..lol

Man that place looks serious. $200 + 800rds of ammo? Wow.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ The tuition isn't that outrageous for a "nationally known" place/instructor/school. Look around a bit at the big names (Alias Training provides a good cross-section, and then there's always Magpul Dynamic to benchmark, too), and you'll see that it's fair.

As for ammo count, there's something to be said - positive, that is -for *BOTH* high as well as low count classes. Each has its goal and benefits.

Distinguished Member
    Man that place looks serious. $200 + 800rds of ammo? Wow.

If that's a one day course, that's pretty standard for the money, and I always think a higher round count is a positive - more shooting in front of/with trainers watching/helping you is one of the best ways to get better. Training is kinda expensive just about any way you look at it, but it's worth it.

Trust me, you'll shoot those rounds either way - over the course of a few weeks/months by yourself or in a class or 2 training. You'd rather shoot all those rounds in front of instructors, doing drills and learning tons of stuff, rather than by yourself, on a square range, just about wasting the ammo.

Congrats on getting serious and seeking more training, btw
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Thanks!

The cost of the class isn't a big deal, but I would have another 240 in ammo. You're correct t I'd be shooting it anyway, but that's still a hard price to swallow..lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links