AAR – Defensive Carbine & Pistol

This is a discussion on AAR – Defensive Carbine & Pistol within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; AAR – Defensive Carbine & Pistol May 31 & June 1, 2014 Instructors: tacman605, Harryball, Greg Equipment used: AK (iron sights) and GLOCK 19 Expectations: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: AAR – Defensive Carbine & Pistol

VIP Member

May 31 & June 1, 2014

Instructors:

tacman605, Harryball, Greg

Equipment used:

AK (iron sights) and GLOCK 19

Expectations:

This was my first carbine class so I did not really know what to expect. What I did know was that this class was FAR outside my comfort zone. I had hoped for a better understanding of how the carbine could be added in to my personal defensive toolbox.

Day 1:

The day started with the usual meet and greet. There were about a dozen of us and it was great to finally meet a couple of members from DC at last. We went straight in to the safety brief and then spent a couple of hours discussing the use of defensive firearms, the equipment involved and the mindset necessary to use them effectively.

After lunch the fun really began. We started by confirming our zero. This is when I knew I was in trouble. Prior to the class I had attempted to zero my rifle. To my embarrassment, I discovered that not only wasn’t I zeroed, there wasn’t much I could do about it then and there. I just noted how off I was and for the rest of the weekend I attempted to compensate.

Once the zero was confirmed we actually put the long guns aside and worked on pistols for awhile. Happily, I was a bit better prepared for this portion and was able to avoid additional embarrassment. Tacman got everyone squared away pretty quickly and moved us in to movement drills. He emphasized that everything we were doing with pistols would translate over to the carbines later. And it did.

Once we went back to the carbines I was underwater again – but in a good way. The less said about my actual performance, the better. I was at least able to be safe with the weapon and I don’t think I held the class back too badly. Tacman and Harryball gave excellent demonstrations and explanations for each exercise. I discovered that movement with a rifle up and ready is nowhere near as easy as a pistol. Again, the less said about my actual performance the better. I will say that some of the other guys were truly impressive. They could shoot and really knew how to run their guns.

We did have a little excitement at the end of the first day when one of the neighbors dropped by for a visit. We were shooting on private property out in the country on a private range. Apparently, this neighbor was offended by the noise we were making and wanted to make some trouble. Harryball quickly and professionally got the guy settled down and mollified. De-escalation works, people.

Day 2:

Day 2 had us right back moving and shooting, rifle to pistol transitions and shooting from various positions. We shot from cover, we shot on the move, we shoot close, and we shot far. We did a lot of shooting and a good time was had by all!

We finished by shooting our final exam that incorporated much of what we had learned and tested our problem solving skills with induced malfunctions and barricade/position choices. Once again I was very impressed with some of my fellow classmates. Most of who were able to turn in very high scores. I won’t say how I did as my ego won’t admit that there actually is a number that small. Let’s just say that in any class, someone always has to come in at the bottom.

Conclusion:

It was a well instructed class and I learned a great deal. Unfortunately, I had to leave a good bit of the knowledge on the table simply because I was starting out from such a remedial position but at least I know it is there for later use. I learned long ago that we train to see how BAD we are not how GOOD we are. Now I have a baseline for future practice and training. In my near future will be time spent zeroing my sights properly and then LOTS of work on basic marksmanship skills.

I want to thank tacman605 and Harryball for putting on a great class and putting up with a rifle-rookie all weekend. These guys are both class acts and I’d be happy to train under either of them anytime.
    darbo, TSiWRX, Harryball and 10 others like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    Glad you had a god time and enjoyed the day. Thanks for posting the aar.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Good AAR. Any idea what your round count was? Just curious.
    What were some of the other weapons in attendance?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Good AAR. Any idea what your round count was? Just curious.
    What were some of the other weapons in attendance?
    We kept the round count low so that people would not go broke attending the class was 400 and the pistol was 200. Outside of the hammer drills its was one to two shots on target. The final test was 15 rounds with 5 mag changes. The weapons we had in class were ARs, AKs, and a lone SKS....

Roadrunner, thanks for the kinds words..Your attitude made teaching easy. I would love to have you in another class someday...

Edit to add: RR, had some issues with accuracy with his AK, that being said, he never made any excuses and ran the drills all out. Chris you did a hell of a job for what you had to work with..Hats off...

Pic of RR, running the AK....

DSC_2575.JPG
    StormRhydr and 40Bob like this.

So, the "Carbine" part of the course translates to mainly ARs, and AKs?

VIP Member
    I'm sorry I missed that. 'Dang business has me too tied down to get up there.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    So, the "Carbine" part of the course translates to mainly ARs, and AKs?
    Not really, it was what most had. The carbine portion of the class, meant any carbine....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Not really, it was what most had. The carbine portion of the class, meant any carbine....
    Lol, Harry. I wouldnt have asked if I wasnt curious as to what folks used. Share on.

Id have to bet some hi points showed up. I actually want one of those in 9mm

Lol, Harry. I wouldnt have asked if I wasnt curious as to what folks used. Share on.

Id have to be some hi points showed up.
    LOL no hi points, but if they did, they would have run the same as everyone. We had mostly AR platform, with 2 AKs and just the one SKS. The student with the SKS did have some trouble when it came to reloading his weapon...

LOL no hi points, but if they did, they would have run the same as everyone. We had mostly AR platform, with 2 AKs and just the one SKS. The student with the SKS did have some trouble when it came to reloading his weapon...
    Other than the 10 round mags, the hi points seem like they would be pretty good for a course like that. Certainly cheaper to run in 9mm, than 5.56.

You can tell, Im wanting one of those things, lol. They look fun as can be, and by all accounts actually work.

Here is a pic of RR and I running the barricade drill...

DSC_2744.JPG
    StormRhydr likes this.

Here is a pic of RR and I running the barricade drill...

DSC_2744.JPG
    Harry, those pics get me in mind of how I need to hit Camden, soon, lol. Looks like a great time, and great training set up.

Harry, those pics get me in mind of how I need to hit Camden, soon, lol. Looks like a great time, and great training set up.
    You should of come to our class....Just saying....

You should of come to our class....Just saying....
    Harry, Id sure consider it, if you werent so far off...not to mention having to become proficient in "Yankee", before I got there.

Then again, I can see it happening. One day, lol.

Nice AAR!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links