shooting the Shield .40

shooting the Shield .40

This is a discussion on shooting the Shield .40 within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; finaly got a chance to shoot a few rounds, other than a mag full when i bought it i haven't shot this one. I laid ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By subhuman
  • 1 Post By subhuman
  • 2 Post By subhuman
  • 1 Post By subhuman
  • 1 Post By smolck

Thread: shooting the Shield .40

shooting the Shield .40

finaly got a chance to shoot a few rounds, other than a mag full when i bought it i haven't shot this one. I laid out a few 3 round groups of rounds and fired 3 at each distance from a cold start.
    7yards;

10 yards

15 yards

20 yards

25 yards fired 5 missed target low with the first shot

poked my sharpie through the 15 yrd group not a bullet hole
    bmcgilvray likes this.

But how did you like it? I noticed with mine and the short mag I tend to shoot left, looks like the slim grip is rotating in my mug. I am going to try one of the grip sleeves on mine.....Someday.....
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I moved back up to 10 yards and did a few medium sped 3 round groups;

the last 3 was 5 yrd as fast as i could shoot
    bmcgilvray likes this.

her she is
    techieccw and Taurahe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    But how did you like it? I noticed with mine and the short mag I tend to shoot left, looks like the slim grip is rotating in my mug. I am going to try one of the grip sleeves on mine.....Someday.....
    Im shooting left and a little low but this is a learning outing i think i will get it dialed in pretty soon. I like it a lot and it hides a lot better than the G23 did when I want it to hide.
    techieccw likes this.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subhuman View Post
    Im shooting left and a little low but this is a learning outing i think i will get it dialed in pretty soon. I like it a lot and it hides a lot better than the G23 did when I want it to hide.
    Hmm..."left and little low". I've been waiting to hear from someone else the who has same grouping/pattern as what I (initially) during my first rounds. I bought a set of (self-adhesive) Talon grips which helped a bit. Now, it'll be just more practice and dialing in. BTW, I'm spot on with my CTC equipped 40c.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

target_shooting_diagnosis.jpg

This might help out
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Wrong thread

I stippled my shield .40 when I had it and it made a world of difference. Why pay $17 for a talon grip you have to replace anyways. The stippling really lets the gun lock into your hand.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Thanks for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I stippled my shield .40 when I had it and it made a world of difference. Why pay $17 for a talon grip you have to replace anyways. The stippling really lets the gun lock into your hand.
    Why?......
    Talon grips or my preference, traction grips, or grip sleeves, or skate board tape..etc etc, do not permanently alter the gun in any way. stippling however does. The shield, as it does not have interchangeable backstraps and such, is permanently affected by stippling, requiring a frame replacement to remove it. Stippling, like many things, is a end user choice but not everyone likes it or wants it. In the end, stippling, while reasonably beneficial, is a turn off to many esopecially in regards to sales of stippled guns. I personally would not buy a gun that has been stippled, unless it was something on which the part could be easily replaced, such as a backstrap. Yes, a good stipple job is visually appealing but in the long run it does more harm than good IMO. YMMV
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Why?......
    Talon grips or my preference, traction grips, or grip sleeves, or skate board tape..etc etc, do not permanently alter the gun in any way. stippling however does. The shield, as it does not have interchangeable backstraps and such, is permanently affected by stippling, requiring a frame replacement to remove it. Stippling, like many things, is a end user choice but not everyone likes it or wants it. In the end, stippling, while reasonably beneficial, is a turn off to many esopecially in regards to sales of stippled guns. I personally would not buy a gun that has been stippled, unless it was something on which the part could be easily replaced, such as a backstrap. Yes, a good stipple job is visually appealing but in the long run it does more harm than good IMO. YMMV
    I don't see guns as an investment nor do I care about retail value. There are enough people selling "like new" or "low round count" guns out there, they don't need mine. All that means is those people didn't use the gun long enough to become proficient with it.

Besides, a Shield is sub $400, not a big loss. Talon grips, when wet and greasy (like from blood) still get slippery. They have to be replaced and are a pain. Stippling locks the gun in the hand, tested my stippling with dish soap, does pretty good.

As for why not everyone wants stippling, I don't care what others want. Just sharing my experiences.

After doing it on many of my guns, I see why. Shoot a normal G27 and then shoot my stippled one. $100 says you have better groups and more control with mine. Even over a talon grip. A lot of folks don't like XS big dots, I do. But I don't plan to sell those either
    Pistology likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    Skate board tape on a handle? Doesn't that cling to (cover) garments?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Skate board tape on a handle? Doesn't that cling to (cover) garments?
    Depends, you can sand it down some and it isn't terrible. But it still grabs certain fabrics more than others. Try wearing a Nike Dry Fit golf shirt, that fabric clings to them like static cling.

VIP Member
    No, smolck, not going for cling. But I like your stippling tip.
    I can see skate board tape on the top of the slide for one-hand racking. But not anywhere on the handle - not even the part between the guard and the handle since it might jam the index finger. Maybe I'm wrong but don't want to find out the hard way.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Sponsored Links