Aim for the belly button to stop an aggressor?

This is a discussion on Aim for the belly button to stop an aggressor? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading an article on point shooting and the man writing it said one should aim for the belly button to stop a threat.he ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree375Likes

Thread: Aim for the belly button to stop an aggressor?

I was reading an article on point shooting and the man writing it said one should aim for the belly button to stop a threat.he didn't explain why but listed a book and page reference as to why you should do this.

Since I don't have the book I was interested to see if anyone had any insight on this.
    If you shouldn't aim there where should you and why?

I've always trained to shoot around the chest area,so I'm curious as to what I should/shouldn't be training to hit should the situation occur.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You can do what you like, but thats not advice Im taking. I do wonder if he didnt mean in a crowded situation. To angle the bullet downwards.

Belly button huh? Maybe they just want us to tickle the agressor? I was always trained........2 to the center mass.(chest/heart/spinal cord area) ..third to the head if I can get that shot.
    besdies that, who knows what's lurking inside that belly button...(lint, cheerios, fruit loops, pizza)
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Belly button huh? Maybe they just want us to tickle the agressor? I was always trained........2 to the center mass.(chest/heart/spinal cord area) ..third to the head if I can get that shot.
    besdies that, who knows what's lurking inside that belly button...(link, cheerios, fruit loops, pizza)
    This is how I was trained to,that's why I'm curious

Quote Originally Posted by whinebag View Post
    I was reading an article on point shooting and the man writing it said one should aim for the belly button to stop a threat.he didn't explain why but listed a book and page reference as to why you should do this.
    The way I was trained, COM was due to the heart and lungs being in that area. Take out an assailant's ability to breath and/or pump blood, and you have a fair chance at halting the carnage. Whereas, in the guts are other things that might hurt and ultimately stop someone but which won't be as likely to quickly incapacitate a person. I'm all for interrupting the CNS/brain, though that stuff's fairly well protected. Nicely, too, COM is the largest target zone. Easier to avoid misses.

Perhaps some of the physicians/surgeons in the crowd can weigh in, based on their experiences treating GSW's.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yeah my ccw instructor said to aim for the pelvis Lmao! I'd always go for center mass. Hitting a vital organ is way more likely to stop someone. Belly shot would make em bleed to death and would take awhile too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_guy View Post
    Yeah my ccw instructor said to aim for the pelvis ...
    I've heard Ayoob and others remark on the pelvic area being a potentially effective way to halt an assailant's means of standing up. Of course, I'd hate to rely on that with a clear COM alternative, and without a deep-penetrating caliber/cartridge. Nice little femoral arteries in the area, too, besides the structural gear that allows one to be upright and mobile.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I was also taught to aim for center mass because that is where the vital organs are and provides the largest target.
    CLASS3NH and gatorbait51 like this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Some advocate shooting the brain to quickly incapacitate a threat. Some advocate shooting center mass to take out the heart or lungs. Some advocate shooting the pelvis to quickly incapacitate a threat. I advocate hitting them several times wherever you can until the threat stops.
    Last edited by LimaCharlie; June 20th, 2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    Aim small - miss small. Aim for the third button from the top!

Seriously, COM is just that - the center of whatever visible mass you are targeting. If it is the full torso, then a high center chest shot is COM. If all you can see is the left foot and lower leg, shoot for the ankle.

As for the navel? Well, if all you can see is from the sternum to the hips, then the navel is appropriate.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member
    pelvis gun shot x ray.jpg

I think a rifle is pretty well suited for a pelvic shot. Enough velocity to shatter bone. Pelvis shots from a pistol is not going to do what we want.

Just an opinion. The liver does offer a great blood supply but still will take up to a solid minute to bleed out. Lungs and heart 30 seconds on average CNS instant communication interruption. As state the CNS is well protected and small in comparison to the center of mass.

I will quit shooting and asses the situation when the threat is neutralized or I am out of bullets.

The only time I've heard of aiming for the belt line is if you were a soldier 100 years ago. Back then rifles were sighted in for 300 yards or so, so aiming for the belt pretty much got you a hit no matter the distance and took the other guy out of the battle.
    Other than that...

Never heard of this. I've heard of taking a pelvis shot if COM shots aren't working (possibly due to body armor), but never a belly button shot.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Obviously if you are a highly trained ninja who can dump a mag through one hole at 100 yards, while running at night, then yes, CNS shots will usually stop the threat pdq. For the rest of us who will be operating at about 20% of our best training day, center mass is usually going to be best.

I've attended Mag40 and as I understand Mas's point (and I'm a disciple of many of his techniques) the pelvis shot might be an option. The theory if I have it right is it's a larger area to hit. Is very painful, will immediately stop mobility (maybe) and most importantly - bypasses body armor. The negative for me is they could still potentially shoot back, also a pistol round may not penetrate deep enough to break bones, or may just punch a hole.

Myself, I teach center mass, which I feel is best for the student LEVEL that I teach. (Civilian NRA/CCW and security guards who shoot once a year, because they have to.) My goal is to get people safe and to a point where they could safely participate in immersion courses.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Two to the chest and one to the head.

DA: So after shooting him twice in the chest you killed him with an execution style shot to his head...

That might be tough for a jury to un-hear. Just a thought.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links