Update on Authorized Firearms for Security Officers in Florida

This is a discussion on Update on Authorized Firearms for Security Officers in Florida within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gov. Scott signs amendments to Statute 493 Most significantly, the Bill permits Class "G" Licensees the additional option of carrying either a .40 caliber handgun ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By GunTeacher

Thread: Update on Authorized Firearms for Security Officers in Florida

Update on Authorized Firearms for Security Officers in Florida

Gov. Scott signs amendments to Statute 493

Most significantly, the Bill permits Class "G" Licensees the additional option of carrying either a .40 caliber handgun or a .45 ACP handgun during the performance of their duties.

493.6115 Weapons and firearms.

(6) In addition to any other firearm approved by the department, a licensee who has been issued a Class "G" license may carry a .38 caliber revolver; or a .380 caliber or 9 millimeter semiautomatic pistol; or a .357 caliber revolver with .38 caliber ammunition only; or a .40 caliber handgun; or a .45 ACP handgun while performing duties authorized under this chapter.

Additional the Amendments allow Class "D" licensees to work in plain clothes without waivers or limitation of assignment while providing bodyguard or executive protection services.

493.6305 Uniforms, required wear; exceptions.

(4) Class "D" licensees who are also Class "G" licensees and who are performing bodyguard or executive protection services may carry their authorized firearm concealed while in nonuniform as needed in the conduct of such services.

This legislation will officially become law on July 1st 2014.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Interesting that they cant carry a .357 loaded with .357 ammo.

I thought that was weird myself. I'm guessing its since the .38 is a less "powerful" cartridge and the State fears that the shooter wont he able to handle the recoil on a .357 round.
    "TRAIN HARD, FIGHT EASY"

www.CenterfireTAC.com

Quote Originally Posted by CenterfireTAC View Post
    I thought that was weird myself. I'm guessing its since the .38 is a less "powerful" cartridge and the State fears that the shooter wont he able to handle the recoil on a .357 round.
    I think the concern is more on the delivery end than on the sending end.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I personally believe that the former limitation on handgun caliber had more to do with the Florida Sheriff's assn. They seem to have wanted security officers limited to calibers smaller than the police and deputies. I guess they forgot that dead from a .38 is exactly the same as dead a .45acp.

Here come the caliber wars.

The other good change is allowing "D" officers to work in plain clothes unrestricted. This will allow the agencies to adopt what may be better tactics than what they had access to. My only issue is that D officers who also have G licences can carry in plain clothes if they are on a protective detail. There are any number of details, and assignments that may be better served with plain clothed armed security people.

I think the whole .357 issue is due to the overpenitration possiblities.

At one time, only 38 Special with 158 gr LRN could be used. Later, for PI only, you could use any approved handgun. Then, changed again to 380, 38 Special or 9mm with ball ammo. Then changed again to allow any hollow point ammo also, just no Pre-Fragmented. I left the PI business after that. You had to qualify with a pistol in any caliber you carried and then could use any pistol in that caliber. As far as I know, no Magnum ammo was approved for use.

I love AZ. Carry a Barrett .50 on duty if you want and your agency allows.
    CenterfireTAC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I personally believe that the former limitation on handgun caliber had more to do with the Florida Sheriff's assn. They seem to have wanted security officers limited to calibers smaller than the police and deputies. I guess they forgot that dead from a .38 is exactly the same as dead a .45acp.

Here come the caliber wars.

The other good change is allowing "D" officers to work in plain clothes unrestricted. This will allow the agencies to adopt what may be better tactics than what they had access to. My only issue is that D officers who also have G licences can carry in plain clothes if they are on a protective detail. There are any number of details, and assignments that may be better served with plain clothed armed security people.
    From what I have seen the Florida Sheriffs Association usually stands against any expansion of gun rights for private citizens and security so I would agree with you here!
    "TRAIN HARD, FIGHT EASY"

www.CenterfireTAC.com

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    When I SO'd in VA there were no restrictions. I recall that some states limit SOs to 38 revolver only (Texas?).

Why?

And for FL, do they have similar laws for LEOs?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links