What kind of training would you like to have?

This is a discussion on What kind of training would you like to have? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Folks! We've moved to just outside the Smokey Mts in East TN and are now located smack dab in the middle of nowhere. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of training would you like to have?

What kind of training would you like to have?

Hi Folks!

We've moved to just outside the Smokey Mts in East TN and are now located smack dab in the middle of nowhere. I have a range out back behind the holster shop and the idea of sponsoring a trainer or two has come to mind. I've contacted John Farnam, Dave Blinder, Randy Cain and Chuck Taylor as potential instructors. Facilities are somewhat limited at the moment, but we are going to build a classroom, chow hall and lodging if there is sufficient interest. So, I've got a few questions for ya'll:

First, Who would you like to take a class from, and what type of course would you be interested in?

Secondly, Would you be ok with tent camping onsite (with shower facilities and meals prepared for you)? Or, would you rather wait until full facilities (bunk house/cottages) are available? Please keep in mind that the housing facilities will add $175-$400 to the tuition per weekend - including all meals and snacks(depending upon whether you choose the bunkhouse or a private cottage), so while camping will be somewhat less comfortable, it will be a bit more affordable ($100 for the campsite, showers and all meals prepared for you).

A very humble hotel is also available about 30 minutes away, but by staying onsite you'll be able to maximize training time.

A lot of business folks make the mistake of giving their customers what THEY think their customers would want. I'd rather hear from you and provide exactly what YOU want, so please take a moment and make a post. Thanks for your time.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Do you want ideas on specific skills, or entire class themes and outlines?

I live only a few hours from your area. Once your up and running, I'll be down to it all out. Let me know if I can be a help to you, I have a whole lot of contacts in this region.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I think that some sort of advanced CCW class would be excellent. Something that where you could stress speed from a concealed draw. I think that would tie in the best with what your shop is primarily directed toward.

I don't know who would be good because I am still relatively new to the reputations (which is subjective anyhow).
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Gary contact Steve Krystek with www.PFCtraining.com / A great trainer and can do classes in other states.
    "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing."

Edmond Burke

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I would like to get a good combat shotgun, combat rifle and combat pistol course.

A course on how to properly conceal a pistol may be a good idea. (A good marketing idea for the holster shop)

And just for fun a class III course for those of us that can't afford the stamp.

A course on how to slick up the action on firearms, especially for those of us that have a Lever gun as a GHTF gun.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Well, something I would like to see and have yet to find is along these lines. A course on real family protection tactics. Almost all the tactics courses are either assuming you're working solo or as a team with another shooter. Reality is many of us may face protecting children or a spouse or an elderly person. I have a handicapped wife who can't run, shoot or help. I've yet to find an affordable course that would address the tactics of protecting another (or others) as well as yourself. This to many would be more "real world" training than much of what is offered.

Low light / no light training would also be great.

Oh, on my budget I'd sleep in the back of my truck if it would save me enough!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockguy View Post
    Gary contact Steve Krystek with www.PFCtraining.com / A great trainer and can do classes in other states.
    I had the pleasure, recently, of taking a three-day class with Steve Krystek and Brian Hartman of PFC. It was incredibly good training, very useful and relevant. Steve and Brian were also incredibly nice people -- while it was clear they were far and away out of the leagues of the class participants, they never gave that "I'm an operator and you're not" attitude that one gets from some high-speed instructors.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Another thing I would like to see is dealing with wild animal or dog attacks.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Lead Moderator
    I think the class ideas are great so far. As for the camping out, I would rather camp than stay in a bunk house. However , I feel some of the old(perhaps wiser) participants might not want to camp out.
    Family tactics seem like a great idea, as many of us do have families. Corralling youngsters is a problem in a high stress situation.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I wouldn't mind the 8-hour drive for a weekend of training. I'm 100% positive that I would be bringing at least one or two people along for the ride as well. Camping is 100% fine.

Any type of training is good training, but personally, I would like defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun courses the best.

Senior Moderator
    A pistol, rifle and shotgun class is great, but as mentioned a family defense class would be what most of us need.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Do you want ideas on specific skills, or entire class themes and outlines?

I live only a few hours from your area. Once your up and running, I'll be down to it all out. Let me know if I can be a help to you, I have a whole lot of contacts in this region.
    Thanks for the input, and for your offer to help. I might just be takin' you up on that As far as course curriculum goes, I guess what I'm asking for is : Do you want to learn Pistolcraft, Shotgun Skills or get carbine training? I think that the actual content of the courses should be left to the trainers themselves. We just need to specify the specific area of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I think that some sort of advanced CCW class would be excellent. Something that where you could stress speed from a concealed draw. I think that would tie in the best with what your shop is primarily directed toward.

I don't know who would be good because I am still relatively new to the reputations (which is subjective anyhow).
    I have never seen a CCW course that was anywhere near adequate for surviving an actual gunfight. I'm guessing that we are on the same page with that.
    My first course with a real instructor was a real eyeopener for sure - just a few minutes into it I realized that I would have been toast in a real attack.
    I believe we're gonna start with John Farnam and his entry level Pistolcraft class sometime this fall, so long as ya'll can live with the camping. It will cover the basics of actual shooting skills, and then progress to cover drills and basic tactics. He also does a great job of covering some legal issues that are a must, as well as mindset and situational awareness.
    If I were going to recommend one class for someone who was getting started, that would be the one. If I were going to recommend a course for an experienced, but untrained shooter, that would be the one as well.
    Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockguy View Post
    Thank you, sir. I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    I would like to get a good combat shotgun, combat rifle and combat pistol course.

A course on how to properly conceal a pistol may be a good idea. (A good marketing idea for the holster shop)

And just for fun a class III course for those of us that can't afford the stamp.

A course on how to slick up the action on firearms, especially for those of us that have a Lever gun as a GHTF gun.
    I have done courses on concealment options in the past, and will probably incorporate that into our curriculum.

We do business with a Class III Manufacturer, so that is a possibility. I'll look into it. However, be prepared to buy a lot of ammo!

Gunsmithing is probably beyond the scope of our facilities, however. Thanks for the input!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links