Training without glasses/contacts

This is a discussion on Training without glasses/contacts within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This topic has been covered before. For example: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...n-glasses.html (started by ArmyCop) For those who wear prescription glasses; When practicing at the range do you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Training without glasses/contacts

VIP Member

This topic has been covered before. For example:

For those who wear prescription glasses; (started by ArmyCop)

For those who wear prescription glasses;

When practicing at the range do you include some time where you swap out prescription glasses for a regular pair of safety glasses and practice a few shots that way?

Iím thinking of including this in my practice. I donít expect to be without my glasses but have to consider the possibility of that happening (if they break or get knocked off) due to a struggle or something.

and

Anyone practice shooting w/o their glasses on/contacts in? (started by Zeebra724)

So, I was thinking the other night, what if...

...I need to grab my gun in the middle of the night with no time to find my glasses if they aren't in their normal spot or pop in my contacts? I'm pretty sure I'd just be pointing by instinct--which I don't like! Any of y'all with glasses/contacts prepare for such a situation by taking your contacts out at the range or taking off your glasses? I'm not sure if people would think I'm crazy or not if I did that at the range...but I don't really care--I want to see what I can do without any contacts or glasses.

Or perhaps, I need to get an extra pair of glasses to put in the safe...

I'm very nearsighted and wear glasses exclusively. I was thinking I need to train to be able to hit a target at 5 to 15 feet without my glasses. There are various scenarios I can imagine where I might be shooting without my glasses: at night, woken up by an intruder, and I have to react before I can get to my glasses; during an encounter, my glasses fall off; etc.

I can see well enough without my glasses to make out large enough objects at 5 to 15 feet, and probably even farther away. It would be valuable to train without my glasses and focus on the front sight (which is what I should be doing anyway!). I'm interested in hearing from others who are nearsighted and have trained without their glasses.
    TVJ, WannabeaCPA and N.M. Edmands like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

My eyesight is fairly decent, though corrected. Have trained with and without. In my case, that's good for facial recognition out to about ~35yds or so. And so, for me, the difference between with and without corrective eye wear isn't all that big of a deal.

About all one can do if vision sucks beyond a certain distance is: buy more time, via stiffer perimeter defenses and earlier warnings; become more adept at shoot/no-shoot situations in which you'll need to make the call in an instant; and, nail your procedures for ensuring your loved ones are accounted for, for your procedures on dealing with situations.
    Bad Bob and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    about 4 years ago I used the FSA at my work to get Lasik.

Best money I ever spent, on anything, ever. I used to worry about target acquisition and ID at night w/o my contacts, I had dual astigmatism, in both eyes, and had seriously bad vision.

best money I ever spent, ever. I'd do it again and spend double.

and it's not just a young man's game either. your optometrist won't want you to get it, because then they won't be your optometrist anymore, but most Lasik outfits will give you a free consultation. I would highly recommend ANYONE with weak eyes go talk to them. yes, the concept is kinda scary, but so is getting a gun fight effectively blind, and it's actually not that bad. painless and fast.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

I wear a cheater lens in my left eye, but shoot with my right eye. So far so good.
    DingBat and BenGoodLuck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I wear a cheater lens in my left eye, but shoot with my right eye. So far so good.
    a cheater lens?
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

I try to always include some "non-corrected vision" training when I'm practicing on my own. Usually the first few mags just so it's comfortable. I'm not going to try and "glasses up" if the need for immediate self defense arises. The non-corrected sight picture is something that needs to be experienced in training .
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    a cheater lens?
    They call it "mono-vision". It's when you wear a contact in one eye for whatever correction your eye needs. In my case it's to read and see things up close, so I wear a 2.75 magnification lens in one eye. It takes your brain a couple days to adjust at first and know which eye you want to do your looking through. And until then your depth perception is a bit whacky, but it's nice being able to see up close without looking for glasses/cheaters. It's like having forty year old vision again.
    BenGoodLuck and DingBat like this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    If any of that were to happen I'd be screwed. I can't even read the instrument panel on my car without my contacts or glasses. I'm very blind for a young guy. I'd be a risk of shooting the wrong person.
    DingBat and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

[OP] Ben, good on you thinking about this. Yes,you should practice this, and a couple of pairs of clear goggles each with one eye occluded to use with and without your glasses/lenses. Find your limitations and work to expand them.
    I don't want to start a good/bad thread here, but 5 to 15 feet is the perfect point shooting distance. When your sphincter has pulled in 'till you can taste your shorts, not many would see the front sight before the shot broke.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    They call it "mono-vision". It's when you wear a contact in one eye for whatever correction your eye needs. In my case it's to read and see things up close, so I wear a 2.75 magnification lens in one eye. It takes your brain a couple days to adjust at first and know which eye you want to do your looking through. And until then your depth perception is a bit whacky, but it's nice being able to see up close without looking for glasses/cheaters. It's like having forty year old vision again.
    Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    If any of that were to happen I'd be screwed. I can't even read the instrument panel on my car without my contacts or glasses. I'm very blind for a young guy. I'd be a risk of shooting the wrong person.
    oh man. I will try not to pontificate too much, and I swear I am not a salemen for the lasik industry...

but. you old guys- I'm looking at you and the above quoted post PAcanis-
    AND- you young guys - you CPA

see, our eyes change dramatically twice in our lives, once, in puberty. once again, extreme start around 45 , extreme ending around 65. for most folks it's about mid to late 50's that you start losing your "up close" vision... yeah?
    The reason we can't se eup close when we get older is the lens that refocus our eye "hardens" and won't reshape as much anymore.

so, if your young and you get lasik, you will still need to get reading glasses when you get older. but your long distance vision will remain corrected. most people will be able to also get lasik, a second time to correct for up close vision and not need reading glasses.

If you are older and find yourself with failing vision, you need to wait until the hardening process has finished, and your vision has stablised again. This can happen as early as late 50's and maybe as late as mid 60's. so if you are 68 the lasik can correct it and you can enjoy good vision (up close and far) the rest of your life.

my eyes were more rare, "thinner" and I had to have PRK, a slightly more invasive, and it's a one time deal. I can never have any type of lasik again, and I will need reading glasses when I get older, nothing for it. (well, in 20 more years, we will see if that's still true) but that's what I was told.

Well, big deal, I still have perfect vision, and needing reading glasses when I'm older won't affect me in a gun fight, so I am quite happy.

highly recommened. obviously I am no doctor and the lasik people will give you everyhitng you need to know.

ok, info-mercial off.
    BenGoodLuck and ccw9mm like this.

I don't use safety glasses at range. But when I worked (industrial,) I had to wear safety glasses over my prescription..I can get oversized safety glasses.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

If you can't see the target good enough to put a few rounds in it, then you can't see the target good enough to identify who you are shooting. Is it your wife, kid, brother, sister, friend, etc.?

I am not/was not a candidate for Lasik. I did have cataract surgery in both eyes resulting in 20/20 distance vision. I wear dime store readers for up close work. My readers make my sights crystal clear and my target fuzzy. Since I only wear my readers when I'm like reading, I figure the odds of ever needing to use my pistol is SD while I am reading are very remote. Therefore I train with shooting glasses that are uncorrected except for a bifocal 2 power reading lens in the bottom. This comes in handy when reloading, signing range logs, or other close up work. But I don't use the corrected lens for shooting, preferring to go au natural as I would in an SD situation. Do I shoot as well as I would using corrective 2x lens? No. But if I am training with my SD pistols, I prefer to learn to do it without corrective glasses. If I am target shooting, I use my readers with safety glasses over them. I also use lasers on my two smallest SD pistols as their sights are pretty tiny.
    DingBat and sensei2 like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    What immediately comes to mind is "Duck!!!!!!!"
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    If you can't see the target good enough to put a few rounds in it, then you can't see the target good enough to identify who you are shooting. Is it your wife, kid, brother, sister, friend, etc.?

Brother Ray Can
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links