Advanced Training Survey

Advanced Training Survey

This is a discussion on Advanced Training Survey within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading about all the espoused experience going on in here i have a question for all members. How many members have been to an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Training Survey

1952 - 2006

Advanced Training Survey

After reading about all the espoused experience going on in here i have a question for all members.

How many members have been to an advanced training school such as Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, Front Sight, Lethal Force Institute, Blackwater etc?

Please list the school you went to and the courses taken as well as what you thought of the school.

Most of us have had basic CCW training so we can exclude that, I'm interested in the more advanced schools.

To start it off I have taken 2 courses at Thunder Ranch, 3 day Defensive Handgun and 3 Day Team Tactics. Both were excellent. I highly recommend Thunder Ranch and Clint Smith for REAL WORLD training.

I also took the 3 day Instructor Development Course at Front Sight and 2 times took the NRA Law Enforcement Instructor Development Course.

Ignatius Piazza did not impress me at all. Both NRA courses were very well done and were taken at Las Vegas Metro PD Range.

Thanks for your participation.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I admit i have not but health and work are all that has stopped me im hoping to o to one in the next 2 years

I will be able to comment on the Front Sight 4-day Pistol course later on this spring.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Thunder Ranch Handgun 1 and Handgun 2.
    DTI (John Farnam) Basic and Advanced Handgun, Basic Rifle, Advance Rifle, Advanced Rifle and Shotgun, Shotgun Instructor.
    Sigarms Multiple Target Engagement
    Rog-Con Speed Shooting
    Glock Firearms Instructor
    Shoot-N-Iron Shotgun
    NRA Instructor Basic Handgun and Personal Protection

There are quite a few more, but I'll have to update this when I get to the office and can check them. All have been beneficial in different ways, and I'd recommend them to anyone.

BudWhite-understand the health/age issue. Some guys seem to go longer than others but I stopped shooting for about 2 years, going to get back in and maybe try for my ccw again. I have attended 2 basic and 1 ccw training course.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Just PD training so far. Maybe next year I can hit a pistol/carbine course.

Gulf War one...(wink)
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by mikaldulee
    Gulf War one...(wink)
    mikaldulee:

Thanks.

SSKC

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I took Jim Crews (Marksman's Enterprises) 3 day Intermediate Handgun Level 2 course last Summer. Amazing skills we learned.

I now consider all the training I received from 17 years with the PD as a joke in comparison!

Plan on taking Randy Cain's 3 day Tactical Handgun-101 this coming Summer and perhaps Gabe Suarez's Enhanced Defensive Shooting course (4 days). All will be sponsored in the Nashua, NH area by http://www.neshooters.com/2005-schedule.html this coming Summer.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    Tactical Responce Inc. 2 day tactical pistol: Incredible instructors and possibly the most comprehensive 2 day pistol course anywhere. That's not just me talking, i've heared it from other big name instructors as well.

I'm taking another bunch of courses with them in april: 2 day tactical rifle, 2 day advanced tactical pistol and 1 day tactical shotgun.

I hope to take a vehicle and team tactics class from them in the future. I'd also like to train with Gabe Suarez at some point and possibly Blackwater.

I've taken
    Gabe Suarez's Close Range Gunfighting 1 (two day course) TWICE . . . it really is that good
    Gabe Suarez's Combative Knife Concepts.
    Steve Broom's IDPA pistol seminar.
    Mike Janich's Martial Blade Concepts 1 & 2

This April I'll take Gabe Suarez's Close Range Gunfighting in Amarillo and I'm hosting Mike Janich's Martial Blade Concepts 1 & 2 in Amarillo in May also.
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Excuse me for the repeat, but for some reason I can't get in to edit the first note.
    Thunder Ranch: Handgun 1 & 2
    DTI: Shotgun Instructor; Advanced Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun; Advanced Handgun; Defensive Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun; Advanced Handgun Tactics
    NRA: Range Officer; Basic Pistol Instructor; Personal Protection Instructor
    Action Target: Close Quarter Violent Confrontations; Simulated tactical Reactive Training
    CLEET: Judgemental Shooting Under Stress; Weapon Retention; Use of Deadly Force; Basic Police Academy
    Street Survival Seminar
    Glock Firearms Instructor
    Shoot-N-Iron: Tactical Shotgun
    Rog-Con: Reactive Shooting
    Gunsite: Tactical Handgun Skills
    SigArms: Targeting Multiple Threats
    MISS: Advanced Shooting and Officer Survival

I think that covers most of the non-military stuff.

ClubSoda22, do you have an e-mail or URL for Tactical Response Inc?

~A

Quote Originally Posted by clubsoda22
    Tactical Responce Inc. 2 day tactical pistol: Incredible instructors and possibly the most comprehensive 2 day pistol course anywhere. That's not just me talking, i've heared it from other big name instructors as well.

I'm taking another bunch of courses with them in april: 2 day tactical rifle, 2 day advanced tactical pistol and 1 day tactical shotgun.

I hope to take a vehicle and team tactics class from them in the future. I'd also like to train with Gabe Suarez at some point and possibly Blackwater.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

I am taking a 1/2 day course @ LAXRange with A.D.E. and I will let you all know what I think of it.

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

advanced training

I started out with the NRA Police Handgun and Shotgun Instructor course in 1983. I thought it was very good. I attended the Street Survival seminars in 1989 and Defense Training Institute (DTI) with 2 classes. Both John and Vickie Farnam are great instructors. I went to Gunsite and attended the last class Colonel Jeff taught before Bud took over and the Colonel returned. I have a tremendous amount respect for Colonel Cooper and give him the credit for getting me started way back in 1976. My instructors Mike Wadalich, Michael Horn, and Bob Young were excellent. I went to the NRA Police Tactical Pistol and Shotgun Instructor course with Clive Shepard. Clive was probably one of the most intense instructors I have met. His demonstration of the "Circle of Safety" got my attention. I did a refresher on the NRA Police Instructor course. I've attended Glock and Mossberg armorers classes, and will be attended a P.O.S.T Instructors course next month. I was with the SOF World Championship 3 Gun Tactical match for 20 years and SWAT magazine 3 Gun World Championship match for 2 years. I have had the pleasure to meet and work with some of what I consider the best Instructors in the world. Ken Hackathorn, Clint Smith, Russ Showers, Jack Furr, Louie Awerback, Mark Fricke and of course Mike and Michael just to name a few. I have taken knowledge away from each and everyone of them. I've been a serious student and believe you are never to old to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links