1911s at Suarez International

This is a discussion on 1911s at Suarez International within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the advice of some folks here last year, I signed up for a Suarez International combative pistol course. I had been planning to bring ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: 1911s at Suarez International

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

1911s at Suarez International

At the advice of some folks here last year, I signed up for a Suarez International combative pistol course. I had been planning to bring my M&P 9FS, with the compact as backup in case of issues, but I've been having trouble with my M&Ps and lately have taken to carrying 1911s again.

The course lists a "modern carry pistol" as a requirement. Should this read "Glock or Glock Clone"? I haven't been able to find a definition of an MCP, but given the derision of 1911s on the WarriorTalk forum, and some quotes from Gabe Suarez about "this is 2013/2014 not 1912", I shouldn't bring any 1911s.

Can anyone with firsthand experience at SI speak to this?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Why not just call/e-mail and ask them?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    At the advice of some folks here last year, I signed up for a Suarez International combative pistol course. I had been planning to bring my M&P 9FS, with the compact as backup in case of issues, but I've been having trouble with my M&Ps and lately have taken to carrying 1911s again.

The course lists a "modern carry pistol" as a requirement. Should this read "Glock or Glock Clone"? I haven't been able to find a definition of an MCP, but given the derision of 1911s on the WarriorTalk forum, and some quotes from Gabe Suarez about "this is 2013/2014 not 1912", I shouldn't bring any 1911s.

I know a guy who knows Suarez, but beyond that, I know only what I read, hear and see. I am curious, though. What problems are you having with your M&Ps?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Why not just call/e-mail and ask them?
    I'm planning to call this coming week, but sometimes the official line and the actual experience are different, so I'm also looking for the latter here.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What problems are you having with your M&Ps?
    The full-size had major accuracy issues. It's on its way back to me from S&W, to be delivered Monday. Not sure on its status, I just got a shipping notice.

My compact is having failure to return to battery lately (the full size has had that problem in the past with the same brand of ammo). I still haven't had a chance to sort it out. Might just be the ammo I was using. I thought it was overheating but now it's doing it even cold.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    The full-size had major accuracy issues. It's on its way back to me from S&W, to be delivered Monday. Not sure on its status, I just got a shipping notice.

My compact is having failure to return to battery lately (the full size has had that problem in the past with the same brand of ammo). I still haven't had a chance to sort it out. Might just be the ammo I was using. I thought it was overheating but now it's doing it even cold.
    Sorry to hear all that. Mine have both been rock-solid reliable.
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and rocky like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Sorry to hear all that. Mine have both been rock-solid reliable.
    I need to stop when one of these rounds fails to feed and set it aside. I'm starting to think the brass might be out of spec.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    The gun should be fine. Just make sure you have a lot of good mags and take some time to blow the dirt out of them during breaks (however few of them there are)

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The gun should be fine. Just make sure you have a lot of good mags and take some time to blow the dirt out of them during breaks (however few of them there are)
    Living in New Mexico and shooting in the desert all the time this is what I do anyway. I also have brushes. And a ton of mags. But maybe it's time for a few more before the class.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    My buddy's 9mm Harrison 2011 went 2K rounds over 3 days without cleaning. He did add a drop of oil on the barrel hood and bushing, each, on the second day, but that's it as far as maintenance was concerned.

We're not as dusty as you guys, but this was the class setting, so it was pretty dusty and sandy:

http://rangerat.files.wordpress.com/...7-12-20123.jpg
    (*not my picture - note: large pic! dial-up death!)

As long as you've got a reliable gun - whatever gun it is - it's not going to be a problem quantitatively speaking...but if you're worried about institutional bias and potential scorn from the instructor cadre (SUAREZ INTERNATIONAL BLOG - How A 1911 Can Get You Killed) and this may affect your performance or learning in class, then it's probably best to use a different tool: you're there to learn, after all.

Trust me: this is coming from a guy who shoots XDms. If you've got thick skin and your gun-handling skills and your gun's durability/reliability is really up to it, doubt you'll have a problem, but if you're worried, you might as well take this little nagging thing out of the back of your mind so that you can get the most learning for your money.

TVJ
    Let us know how the class goes. You did a great prior writeup if I remember correctly.

You might consider taking your problem guns to a local, quality armorer ahead of the class.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

I'll probably take all 4 of the candidate guns to my local smith and have them looked over. Hopefully the M&P 9 will come back Monday ready to go. I really am starting to think it's the ammo causing feeding problems in the M&P but I'll need more testing and some measuring to be sure.

I don't believe in random trial and error. Problems have causes. I have several more months to sort it all out before then.

Ultimately I need to get over my indecision between carrying M&Ps and carrying 1911s, once everything is running smoothly.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

TVJ
    If you want to take the 1911, do it and hold your head high. Bring extra mags, carriers and practice reloads.

In fact, if youre feeling uncomfortable about the 1911, go head on, confront your "fear/concern", and start with the 1911. Go right through the uncomfortable feelings and kick butt in the class. Do it for that reason alone.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Brock, I went thru there pistol class with Bill Lindsey with a 1911 and had no issues. Bring it, run it, and do not look back.....
    gatorbait51 and brocktice like this.

NO! NO! Brock don't do it! You will be laughed at! You will be labeled less than pond scum! You will be flogged to within an inch of your life and left in a pile of discarded magazines!

Nah, you'll be fine but do bring more mags, and a couple of kids to load them for you.[ saving your thumbs for more important things.]
    Do be prepared to take friendly harassment if you have a malfunction.[Everyone knows no other firearms fail.] Have fun and learn. I'm jealous.
    gatorbait51 and brocktice like this.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links