Positioning in Mag Pouch

This is a discussion on Positioning in Mag Pouch within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm heading up to Frontline Defense this weekend for an all women's training w/ Gabby Franco. I was told to bring at least 4 kydex ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Positioning in Mag Pouch

Positioning in Mag Pouch

I'm heading up to Frontline Defense this weekend for an all women's training w/ Gabby Franco. I was told to bring at least 4 kydex mag pouches. I picked up my 2nd double this morning & was thinking about positioning of a loaded mag in the pouch. Loaded faces down, but does it matter in which direction? I'm assuming it's personal preference but maybe there is a universal teaching otherwise? I would be inclined to have tips facing rear, because a rotation of the mag/wrist is what comes more natural to me. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I try to avoid wasted movement. The cartridges in the mag will have the bullets facing forward. I am not saying its the only way, just the way I have found works best....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    redbirddog5 and farsidefan1 like this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

+1 on Harryball, bullets facing forward so when you grab the mag, you come up to the gun with bullets facing forward instead of wasting hand motion to rotate the mag to go into the gun. When your hand is on the fresh mag, your shooting hand should have already released the mag in the gun. I only carry a twin mag set. I carry extra mags for training in a bag that is on the ground near me. This is where spent mags also go. You need to have several mags for a training course, elsewise you will be reloading mags while others are doing reps of the current drill. I carry 25 mags loaded to all training classes, but that is just me, YMMV.
    redbirddog5 and EvilTwin like this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Many trainers insist on facing forward. I personally find facing rearward is much more natural for me.
    redbirddog5 and AZJD1968 like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I was taught bullets forward in my Illinois 40hr MFT classes. It works.
    redbirddog5 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I learned bullets forward as well. Index finger extended so tip of finger touches exposed bullet as it's removed from mag pouch. Different instructors teach slightly different methods from that step to completed reload.
    redbirddog5 and ks kid like this.

I've always done bullets forward as others have stated. In all of my years shooting IPSC and Steel Challenge matches, it's the only way I can think for vertical magazine carry and deployment.
    redbirddog5 likes this.
    Carry means carry. That means all of the time. If you don't, you're just kidding yourself and opening up options for someone to take you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I try to avoid wasted movement. The cartridges in the mag will have the bullets facing forward. I am not saying its the only way, just the way I have found works best....
    if your magazines are face down, then that is the epitome of wasted movement. If magazines are bullets up, then that makes sense but you shouldn't be grabbing the magazine by the bullets.

VIP Member
    Carry however you like. Do yourself a favor though. Try it both ways - against a timer. (Shoot one round - mag change - shoot one round)

See which way is faster and more certain.

Have fun at the class.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

JMB
    I think it's likely the instructor will cover this in her class. I wouldn't worry about it until then.
    redbirddog5 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ This, first and foremost - if the instructor *insists* on one way, just do it his/her way: you've paid for the class, so let's see how this knowledge transfers to you.

----

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Carry however you like. Do yourself a favor though. Try it both ways - against a timer. (Shoot one round - mag change - shoot one round)

See which way is faster and more certain.
    ^ And this is really how it is.

Our arms, wrists, and hands articulate differently. The ratio of our body parts, while fitting into an average, is also slightly different from person to person. Our gear can be positioned differently. The mags can be of different lengths.

All this means that some prefer it one way or the other.

Even among the top-tier instructors/trainers, you'll see that this is not done the same, throughout.
    redbirddog5 and Bad Bob like this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by redbirddog5 View Post
    I'm heading up to Frontline Defense this weekend for an all women's training w/ Gabby Franco. I was told to bring at least 4 kydex mag pouches. I picked up my 2nd double this morning & was thinking about positioning of a loaded mag in the pouch. Loaded faces down, but does it matter in which direction? I'm assuming it's personal preference but maybe there is a universal teaching otherwise? I would be inclined to have tips facing rear, because a rotation of the mag/wrist is what comes more natural to me. Thanks.
    I do it as illustrated in this photo.

redbirddog5 and rocky like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by photoman6 View Post
    if your magazines are face down, then that is the epitome of wasted movement. If magazines are bullets up, then that makes sense but you shouldn't be grabbing the magazine by the bullets.

I've never seen a mag pouch that carries the magazines "bullets up."
    Last edited by OD*; August 15th, 2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: grammer
    molleur, JMB, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by photoman6 View Post
    Ummm. Houston I think we have a problem.....
    OD*, Wunderneun and rdunawaytx like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links