Situation information overload?

This is a discussion on Situation information overload? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Other threads have gotten me to thinking more on this subject. We practice, we train - but still - if faced with that dreaded inevitable ...

Thread: Situation information overload?

Assistant Administrator

Situation information overload?

Other threads have gotten me to thinking more on this subject.

We practice, we train - but still - if faced with that dreaded inevitable confrontation - will we be able to adequately resist tunnel vision and also be able to absorb and process all incoming information well enough and quickly enough - to make the best decision? It is of considerable concern.

We are often envisaging things going down fast - probably the most likely. So - we see the threat - is it a singular threat? Are there other BG's? What is a safe field of fire? Many things to consider.

In a near instant, we have this potential for info overload but if we miss important details might we react too soon? Admittedly if a BG's gun is coming to bear on us we have to act fast and deal with it, fast. If however things go a shade slower (seconds as against milli seconds!) ..... there is to me this brief hiatus where we need to process much info very rapidly and still come up with the best decision.

Not sure there is any firm formula or fix. Comments?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    We practice, we train - but still - if faced with that dreaded inevitable confrontation - will we be able to adequately resist tunnel vision and also be able to absorb and process all incoming information well enough and quickly enough - to make the best decision?
    That is something that no one can predict or even know until the situation arrives. We practice, we train,we can never know how we will act till the moment transpires. Two men standing together in a bad situation may react differently. I am reminded of a situation that happened to two police officers.One stands to fight and the other runs.

At first glance, it may seem that one is a coward and one is brave.

On further observation, it is noted that the one that stood against insurmountable odds gets shot, while the one that retreated, did so only to look for cover and realize a tatical advantage where one was desperatley needed.

Looking back, it seems that the one that may have seemed Brave, was not so smart, and the one that retreated did what was tatically correct and the smart thing to do.

The thing is...we can never know. Hoperfully we've trained well enough that we can automatically react and go about it as efficiently as possilble. I'm sure that youve heard that one will respond to the level of their training.

Its seems to be true. In training we are teaching ourselves how to deal with various threats. Just having an idea of what to do is a major step in when it comes to a confrontation...where most people dont have a clue of how to respond. All we can do is to up the odds to our favor, by training both physcially and mentally.

If and when things go bad,we can only hope that we can deal with it and do the best we can.

PS..nice title under the name. BTW....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You have to be exposed to stress to better function under future stress. This is why I'm an ardent believer in scenario based Force on Force. More on this in a minute.

One way to think about this... Do you remember learning to drive in city traffic? Your first time out I guarantee that it felt like EVEYRONE was going to crash into you. You tightly gripped the steering wheel and tried to process all the input to pick the safest path and avoid accidents and obsticles. Fast forward 20 or 30 years of driving experience and you would take that same route with a cup of coffee in one hand and talking on your cell phone with the other (maybe not but you get my point). Exposure to stress and experience give you the ability to process information faster and more importantly to filter out unimportant or less important factors as to better concentrate on the critical input.

So, how will you keep from getting fixated on the bad guy who is confronting you while his buddy sneaks up behind you? Run 100 scenarios where you are forced to do just that. Force on Force gives us training to learn from how we really react when we are placed in situations. The more you do it the better you get at making good decisions so when you are faced with a real situation your decision making will better and faster.
    Shay Van Vlymen - Instructor Tactical Response

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    if faced with that dreaded inevitable confrontation - will we be able to adequately resist tunnel vision and also be able to absorb and process all incoming information well enough and quickly enough - to make the best decision?
    Short answer is no , folks will set at home in thier armchairs and pick your actions apart at leisure , as will a joury . Nothing you do will be " RIGHT " .

In a near instant, we have this potential for info overload
    You WILL have info overload , and tunnel vision too . This only get worse when shots actualy are fired . Personaly i have found you can actualy turn a badge over on a flat yard and crawl under it and hide lol .
    In the online ccw world things are usualy pretty clear cut and you have good guys and bad guys with a recognisable deviding line . In my experiance Life is not that neat.

Now being former LE i will say that anyone who threatens me or mine is a bad guy , but just where the line crosses between postureing and actual threat is real grey . I have sent folks to prison who i will shoot on sight if i see them now , also i have sent folks to prison who i will hand my house keys to and ask them to take care of my pets while i am out of town . Both groups are convicted felons . Both groups will " talk tough " or act tough to preserve face . You have to make shoot or dont shoot decitions to the best of your ability with what you know at that time , and be able to ARTICULATE your reasoning when you made it . According to the " reasonable man doctrine " its ok to be wrong ( legaly if not moraly ) if given the same info a " reasonable man " would have decided the same as you.

In summation No matter the state you live in , and No matter why you got involved ( leathal force or not ) YOU had best be able to clearly and in short sentances be able to explain to 12 common folks why you used any force . If not well then keep your guns in the safe till you go to the range .

Sorry for the rant on this , maybe lately i have read too many threads on too many boards saying " well i woulda shot the sucker , or well your an idiot for clearing the house when a door blew open ", or whateaver . Court cases are not black and white , and allways are decided in favor of whom makes the jury understand thier side , Make dammed shure that is your side .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Court cases are not black and white
    There's the rub!! Part of why I have this concern over the ''getting it right''.!

Thx for input thus far.
    Chris - P95

Chris , sadly " right " takes a back seat to being able to explain it and have it understood by average folks , this is why high end lawyers are worth what they cost . Many times they are not legal scholars , they are simply likeable .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    this is why high end lawyers are worth what they cost . Many times they are not legal scholars , they are simply likeable
    Man, as someone in that biz, I can testify that that's the truth.

You speak as if from experience, Redneck.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

LOL randy 10 + years on the stand . You do pick up a fiew things .

VIP Member
    One thing that helped me deal with tunnel vision is to train while moving. Most people when they shoot, go to a standard range. They stand in front of a standard paper target & shoot at it.

I found that once I had some decent professional training, the tactics help deal with with tunnel vision. They may not eliminate it, since it effects people differently. For me it helped a lot.

Find someplace where you can practice shooting, scanning & moving. You can start with just practicing the shooting & scanning (after taking your 2 center-of-mass shots, then actually turning your body while scanning will force you to look around for other threats). Once you're able to do that, progress to shooting & moving while scanning. This makes you look after your footing as you move & scanning for additional threats.

If you shoot with friends, let them help. One exercise is to put up three different targets spaced wide apart & unevenly spread. Have your friend call out which target is the 1st to draw a fire at, then have your friend call out again which target to shoot at. (It can even be the same target, just tell them to mix it up.) This will help you not to fixate on just one target. Your mind will be checking out all three targets while waiting to see which one gets called next. (you also don't have to limit yourself to three, it can be however many you have room for.....plus the competition with your buddies helps you & them.)

FOF is another great practice method. It helps you by letting you feel the adrenaline & heart rate increase while shooting. It helps you understand tunnel vision & helps you practice getting over it.

If a situation arises where you do have 'longer' time to make decisions......it is WISE to be heading for cover, you can't fight back if you're a casualty! I would much rather defend from cover than defend from the open.

As to the legal ramifications......YMMV.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    I concur totally re movement and cover etc - I got myself pretty much out of the old habit of stand still and try and just shoot!!

I have made it a mission to incorporate movement more and more and am at least partly confident that in a situation I will be moving fast. Overall I still will remain doubtful as to whether all input can be gained/interpreted in the stress of a situation - but yes - movement has to be a real biggie for importance.

Luckily I have two small range options which are usually free of others and almost any discipline can be practiced.
    Chris - P95

Links