Muscle Memory

Muscle Memory

This is a discussion on Muscle Memory within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While reading Armed Response (i'll post a review soon almost finshed with it ) This comes up a few time and espically with Drawing. Basicly ...

Thread: Muscle Memory

Muscle Memory

While reading Armed Response (i'll post a review soon almost finshed with it ) This comes up a few time and espically with Drawing.

Basicly the author says draw around 3000 times to build up muscle memory doesnt have to be all in one day of course just say 100 time per day and 50 times every other day after you hit the 3000 mark..

I do a lot of drawing from holster to practice and build up Musle Memory .. But my Question is what about different methods of carry??

Ill state right off i carry one of 4 was IWB,OWB Strongside ... Pocket and a Fanny pack type thing ... All stongside..

So if i carry say OWB/IWB support/weak side and i train the 3000 repeted draws and the 50 everyother day ... will that in turn screw up your muscle memory for you IWB/OWB Strong side draw??

Seems Like it would or at least degrade it to where it isnt as smooth since there is a few differnet motions involved in the 2 different Draws...

Any one here in our rapidly growing knowledge database Have experiance doing this ?

Whats everyones opinion..

Having been an athlete in HS and college, muscle memory has been engrained in my head for many years.

I had this discussion with a friend of mine a while back who is also a Tactical Instructor for ICE. We got to discussing draws and varying different locations of your carry piece on your body. He frowned upon this because of the very fact you bring up Bud.

What he says is that when he leaves the house with his carry pistol, he does not want to have to think where it is located on his body, he wants his grasp and presentation to be instinctive and as such carries a non varying pistol at the same location all the time. I asked why he does not vary his pistol. To this he added, he will go from a full size Gov't 1911 to an officer and all variants in between at times but he does not change pistol design as his body knows exactly what and where the controls are. As such he knows what is required to drop the safety. Made sense to me.

Hope this helps and once again it is my .02 that I toss into the mix.

~Andy
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

This can be applied to presentation of a pistol. I have a pic by pic description of a proper presentation of a strong side (R) presentation broken down into segments. I will look for it.

~A

Muscle Memory
    It takes a certain amount of time for the body to learn a simple motion—much longer than most of you would imagine. For this reason, I recommend for my clients, and for you as well, to practice a new motion for three to four weeks (if practicing regularly) before moving on to another fundamental. Unfortunately, most golfers work on something for a few days and then they're off to work on something else. You can't improve with this kind of practice!

There are 2 processes going on when you work on your golf swing, 1) you first have to make a change, which is gradual, not instantaneous, and 2) you need to learn the changed movement. Understand that because the change is gradual, your immediate goal should only be to make a change for the better—don't think you're going to perfect the new movement. In the future, if you are working properly, you will come back and work on each fundamental over and over in a process that I call "cycling through the fundamentals".

For definition purposes I say learning, or muscle memory, occurs when a conscious effort to put the body in a particular position, or to move it in a certain way, is transformed from a conscious action to an automatic action requiring no thought. Many of you would call a learned motion muscle memory, and I do too, just for the sake of simplicity. For all intents and purposes, it's as if the muscles do have a mind of their own—they can perform amazingly complex motions without the person having to think about them.

For illustrative and descriptive purposes, I much prefer the term "muscle memory", even though it may be an inaccurate term. One irate reader severely reprimanded me for not using the term "motor memory". Frankly, to us lay people it doesn't make much difference whether it is called "muscle memory" or "motor memory"! The important thing to realize is that to learn a new movement you must practice that movement over a long enough period so that the movement becomes automatic.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Lead Moderator
    I practice Muscle memory from where I carry 90% of the time. I will be slower if carrying in a diffrent location. Also , I carry a similar type of gun be it large or sub comp. frame , with the same type of safety.

Thanks Rocky for chiming it. So essentially it is just a bigger or smaller version of itself??? Do you agree with the assertion that your body knows the controls instinctively? Do you carry from the same location on your body 90% of the carry time?

~Andy
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

I believe carrying two different types of .45's will get you into trouble also. Example my 1911's have all the same locations for safety etc where as my S&W 4506 has a decocker. You get the job done but there is that time delay in thinking where in the world is the safety.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

FortyFive, by same platform I meant 1911's Gov't to Officer or Commander, not USP45 to a 1911.45 . But I agree differing controls in a heated moment can prove seriously complicating.
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Links