What are some of the "little things" you do?

This is a discussion on What are some of the "little things" you do? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As stated, what are some of the little things you do from a defensive standpoint that never get mentioned because they are so mundane or ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: What are some of the "little things" you do?

As stated, what are some of the little things you do from a defensive standpoint that never get mentioned because they are so mundane or ordinary?

For instance (what got me thinking about this)- every night I retrieve my glasses from wherever they may be in my apartment and place then on my bedside table beside my pistol. It just occurred to me a few days ago that I should start doing this since I wear contacts. But since I have my contacts in from 30min post-wakeup to 2min before getting into bed, I "forget" that I need my glasses upon waking up. My vision isn't terrible so it's not like grabbing my glasses first thing every morning is routine. In fact, I never put them on because I can see well enough to get around my apartment without them. But in the event that I had an unplanned late night guest, I would definitely want clear vision.

What other little things do you do?

Not a little thing, always make sure I can get to my gun quickly, it's always in arm's length and loaded.

Welcome to the forum

United Daughters of the Confederacy member

American by birth
    Christian by choice
    Southern by the grace of God

Now that I am down to just a cell phone, make sure it is charged and next to glasses, flashlight, and bedtime sidearm.
    NRA Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself

I never sit with my back to doors at restaurants but always sit close to an exit. I also have a habit of watching people and reading their body language while I'm out and about.

Worked on my perimeter alarm today had not changed sensor batteries in about a year so switched them out. Made sure they were pointed in right direction and sending. So as I was doing that switched out bio vault batteries.
    gatorbait51 and 3rdegree like this.

In this order all the time. (Nightstand)Hi power flashlight on left, Gun on Right. Glasses in front. Gun sits in Sticky holster. it takes only a few fractions of a second to get it out. I want this short delay to make sure those cobwebs from SLEEP have shaken out of me. I don't want to grab gun half asleep and have an ND.
    gatorbait51 and notavictim like this.
    "Liberal arguments against guns tend to presume the worst: that a yearning for gun ownership must in some way be rooted in the desire to hurt. But gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love"
    Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum, from Georgia.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself

VIP Member
    I shoot my carry guns against the timer at least four times each week.
    "There's something in me I can't describe. It's as if I saw a strange darkness before me, into which I must go."
    Viktor Woellert

Along the same lines as the OP, I also wear contacts. However, my vision is so bad that I can only see clearly out to about a foot in front of me, so I generally wear my glasses from the time that I wake up until I put in my contacts, and from when I take them out until I go to sleep.

Like I said, my vision is so bad without glasses/contacts that I generally can't identify someone from across the room (unless I can tell from body type). Therefore, when I go to sleep, I intentionally place my glasses on top of my bedside pistol safe. That way if I wake up to a bump in the night, I have to put my glasses on before I retrieve my firearm.

It's my way of helping to ensure that I can identify my target, and not end up as one of those news stories where a guy shoots his teenage daughter coming home late at night.

VIP Member
    I wear night and day contacts which I change out and disinfect every two weeks, so sleepy time poses no special concerns.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "There's something in me I can't describe. It's as if I saw a strange darkness before me, into which I must go."
    Viktor Woellert

VIP Member
    Always put your charged cell phone on your night table. Very easy to cut the telephone wires. I check my gun each night to make sure it is loaded and cocked and locked. I check the laser to make sure the batteries are OK. That is about it. After 15,695 nights without incident, you tend not to think about things too much. Just make sure your gun is there and in working order and that your cell phone is handy to call 911.
    gatorbait51 and farsidefan1 like this.
    I prepare for the possible that is most likely and not the unlikely simply because it is possible.

Those who say that a Lamborghini is not worth the cost have never driven a Lamborghini.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I wear night and day contacts which I change out and disinfect every two weeks, so sleepy time poses no special concerns.
    Once I run out of my current supply, I'm going to talk to my optometrist about getting some of those.
    Last edited by wsigl91; September 15th, 2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsigl91 View Post
    Once i run out of my current supply, I'm going to talk to my optomitrist about getting some of those.
    I have been using them successfully for the past ten years or so.
    wsigl91 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Viktor Woellert

I wear contacts too and my sight is really bad without them or my glasses. I have a laser to aid in aiming.

But another thing that I so is to make sure that I have a good pair of slippers at the bedside.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I wear contacts too and my sight is really bad without them or my glasses. I have a laser to aid in aiming.

But another thing that I so is to make sure that I have a good pair of slippers at the bedside.
    I'll bite...why the slippers?
    Viktor Woellert

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links