How best to practice DA trigger?

This is a discussion on How best to practice DA trigger? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im finding with my new snubby that im much better when firing 'SA' (of course)--drawing the hammer back manually then firing on the target is ...

Thread: How best to practice DA trigger?

Im finding with my new snubby that im much better when firing 'SA' (of course)--drawing the hammer back manually then firing on the target is much easier than a longer trigger pull for DA.

Is there a way to practice the DA trigger pull? or is it just a matter of getting used to it? OR should it matter? Should I be content with sticking with SA after pulling the hammer back? Any advice is appreciated! thanks!

Assistant Administrator
    Forget SA for combat use!!!

The only way IMO is pure DA practice. You really MUST get the feel of stroking that trigger repeatedly DA. Many snubs respond well to use by smoothing more and so DA gets a bit easier.

I for sure will concur that SA will almost for sure give an edge of accuracy but we have to realize that the luxury of time will probably not be ours in an emergency.

Much can be improved (including smoothing) by dry firing routines. If the unloaded gun is repeatedly drawn and a double or triple tap executed I do think you'll find that when you get back to range for live fire - you'll see improvement come, quite quickly.

Also - do not do initial live fire with hot loads - start with 38 spl and get good - then if need be increase the recoil/recovery problem with what you intend to carry. Just me but - I think +P is adequate - better control and aim recovery etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    P95 said it all. During PD training we were not allowed to cock our revos, as the fast shooting would be DA only.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If you plan on doing a lot of dry-fires to get used to your DA, get a set of Snap Caps (dummy rounds). They'll allow you to repeated dry fire your gun without doing any damage to it. It'll save alot on practice ammo and will help you get used to the trigger pull, etc.

Wes.
    Last edited by Amnesia Wes; January 23rd, 2007 at 05:10 AM.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Thanks for the tips. Somehow I knew it just wasnt right to count on SA accuracy.

snap caps and a beam hit system. You can practice as much as you want and get feedback from the beam hit target if your "shot" was on target.

Agreed P95Carry, I place a quarter on the top of my J-Frame Smith Model 60 and practice dryfiring DAO.
    It's going to take a lot of practice to get fast, but maybe fast should be second to shot placement as far as my priorities go.

Get snap-caps and baby powder. Shake some baby powder into the gun, load up with snap caps, and dry-fire. Load up the baby powder every few dozen trigger pulls or so.

The baby powder will act as a very fine polish, and smooth up the internals. Basically it speeds up the break-in time with out over polishing. It will get rid of any burrs and tools marks with out taking off too much metal. After a couple thousand trigger pulls, the action will be about as smooth as it is going to get short of having a smith go through and lay hands on it...plus it is a lot cheaper.

Clean up with some compressed air and a routine cleaning.

Back in the 70s when I first took up revolver shooting, one of the fellows I shot with showed me a trick that turned out to be a good training aid.

Ideally, you want to be able to use a single-stage, double-action trigger pull. This is where you pull the trigger straight through in one fluid motion.

The training aid this fellow showed me was a two-stage trigger pull. This is where you pull the trigger quickly until it is almost ready to break, and then slowly squeeze the last little bit of trigger travel. The trick is, if your hand and the gun are the right size, you can catch the trigger in the first knuckle of the trigger finger and pull until the tip of your trigger finger just touches the frame of the gun. If you are lucky enough to have the right size hand, the trigger will have just a very short distance left to travel before it breaks. Slowly squeeze this list little bit of travel.

If you use this as a training aid, you can start slowly, and then gradually build up your speed. This will do two things for you. It will build muscle memory so you will instinctively know when the trigger is going to break, and, as you speed up, it will eventually turn into a smooth single-stage pull. Once youíve built the muscle memory, youíll not need to use the two-stage pull any more, you should be able to just pull the trigger straight through in one smooth motion and instinctively know when itís going to break.

This works well for dry-fire practice if you pick out a point on a safe backstop, align your sights on the point, and pull the trigger through its travel while retaining sight alignment on the aiming point. Your sights should still be on the aiming point after that hammerís dropped.

Youíll need to do this over and over for quite some time before your single-stage pull becomes as natural as it needs to be. Once youíve done this, you might be a bit surprised at how accurately you can shoot a revolver with a double-action trigger pull.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Links