Training in the South

Training in the South

This is a discussion on Training in the South within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, First post here. I have been reading the forums for a few months but this i my first post. I am looking to find ...

Thread: Training in the South

Question Training in the South

Hello,

First post here. I have been reading the forums for a few months but this i my first post. I am looking to find handgun self-defense training in the south. I already applied for my conceal carry permit and am just waiting for the background check. I had a basic safety course but nothing concerning the marksmanship or how to handle a stressful situation.

All of the highly regarded areas are quite a drive for me. I was looking for something in TN (GO VOLS), GA, South Carolina (GO TIGERS). I live in the region where those three states meet so west Tennessee, south Georgia, and costal Carolina are kind of out of reach for me due to my schedule. I stumbled across "Cumberland tactics" in Greenville, TN. I was curious if anyone knew anything about them or had suggestions of other training facilities in the region. Thank you.

Member Array Optimistic Paranoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by movingshrub View Post
    Hello,

First post here. I have been reading the forums for a few months but this i my first post. I am looking to find handgun self-defense training in the south. I already applied for my conceal carry permit and am just waiting for the background check. I had a basic safety course but nothing concerning the marksmanship or how to handle a stressful situation.

All of the highly regarded areas are quite a drive for me. I was looking for something in TN (GO VOLS), GA, South Carolina (GO TIGERS). I live in the region where those three states meet so west Tennessee, south Georgia, and costal Carolina are kind of out of reach for me due to my schedule. I stumbled across "Cumberland tactics" in Greenville, TN. I was curious if anyone knew anything about them or had suggestions of other training facilities in the region. Thank you.
    First of all, Cumberland Tactics is Randy Cain, who is EXCELLENT. He still teaches part time at Gunsite in AZ when he is not off doing his own teaching.

Secondly, I'm not from those parts, so I'm not sure exactly where in TN either Memphis of Camden is, but RANGEMASTER - http://www.rangemaster.com/ and TACTICAL RESPONSE - http://www.tacticalresponse.com/ are both highly thought of. I did a course with Tom givens of Rangemaster up in New England and he's terriffic. I'm looking forward to doing some Force On Force training with Yeager and his crew sometime soon.
    Regards
    John

Life Member - American Society of Armed Political Malcontents

Question Authority. Hang As Necessary!

In God I Trust. Everybody Else Keep Your Hands Where I Can See Them!

You just cant go wrong with Randy Cain. The guy will diag ANY trouble with your shooting techniques and have you drilling unbelievable groups in short order. Then, as he will explain, shooting for all the marbles is still the basics, just gotta get 'm done before the other guy.
    His Tactical Handgun 101 includes a lowlight night shoot. This portion of his class alone is worth the price of admission. I have taken his class twice. Not because I'm that slow, but because I realized if I learned as much as I did in the first class, I know I missed even more. I met a number of very 'advanced' shooters in the classes, and in the second class, 11 out of 12 shooters were repeat students. Much for the same reason I noted earlier. I think that speaks volumes about Randy.
    He does not teach you how to fastrope from a helicopter and dynamically enter a shopping mall being held by terrorrists. He does teach you time proven techniques to save you and yours if correctly applied.
    If I can answere any q's, leave me a private email at this site. I will be in for back surgery Tues am, so it may be Fri or so b4 I get back to ya.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Thanks for the input.

The Cumberland tactics place is the closest thing to where I live. I wanted to make sure I didn't go after a POS place even though it was the shortest drive. Memphis and Camden are both west TN which are at least 8+ hour drives for me. Granted, some people would gladly do that but as a grad student, my time is pretty limited. Essentially, anything in East TN (Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville), the upstate SC (Greenville/Columbia) and Atlanta, GA is feasible. However, if C. Tactics is really good then it sounds like a done deal. What type of equipment do people usually take? I want to become proficient in using a concealed weapon so it seems kind of backwards to wear BDUs, a gun belt, and an external holster when most people don't wear that on a day-to-day basis.

When I took his classes, I wore the same jeans and tshirts with oversized cover shirts or polos that I normally wear. I used a Kimber 5" .45, carried in a Brommeland Maxcon VI, with matching mag/flash carrier and gunbelt. Since TH101 is mainly about principles and application of shooting, it wont hurt you to wear range gear. In fact, for the sake of comfort, you might wear range gear and just a cover garment for the first day. Then see if its worth it to change to street stuff. I wore my concealement gear cause at the time, its all I had. Wear a ballcap, have dark and clear lens glasses, some sort of pouch (ie rollypolly form Maxpedition Gear) to carry loose cartridges in. Ear plugs and phones worn together really dampen sound and blast from the guys next to ya. Wear sturdy but comfy boots. Sunscreen, and or rain gear. Randy shoots in the rain too, folks. Bringt band aids, or like me, bring white 'medical' tape, electrical tape, and terri towels-better than bandaids.
    Whether you wear your street gear or range gear, get a good belt. Nothing will jack your experience up faster than fracking with your holster and trying to keep your pants up.

Dan

Most of all, BRING AN OPEN MIND.

Dan

Dave Blinder's school is just outside of ATL.

http://www.personaldefensetraining.com/

I'm sure there are others in your area that I can't think of right now.
    Shay Van Vlymen - Instructor Tactical Response

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    Don't forget PRI in Nashville, either.

I cant find anything in FL, which really surprises me!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipac View Post
    I cant find anything in FL, which really surprises me!
    There are four places in Florida that I know of. Frank Garcia(Universal Shooting Academy) in Frostproof, Randy Cain teaches in different parts, including Lakeland and Eustis, Andy Stanford(Options for Personal Security) in Sebring, and Eagle Tactics in Homestead.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Ron

Training schools

One place you might like to check out is TAC2 located in Greeneville,TN. THey offer three classes one of which is a low light class. THe cost for all 3 classes is $250.00. I have taken the PPH-1 and plan on taking the other 2 classes. You can check their web site out at http://www.tac2.com/

Ron...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    There are four places in Florida that I know of. Frank Garcia(Universal Shooting Academy) in Frostproof, Randy Cain teaches in different parts, including Lakeland and Eustis, Andy Stanford(Options for Personal Security) in Sebring, and Eagle Tactics in Homestead.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Ron
    Just read your message a few days ago...I will be going to bike week for the date you listed, but would consider taking another training with you...more later...

Ken
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Just read your message a few days ago...I will be going to bike week for the date you listed, but would consider taking another training with you...more later...

Ken
    Ken,

Sounds good. Enjoy bike week.

Ron

Here in Georgia FIREARMZ provides an extensive class schedule with our own corriculum as well as many guest instructors, Andy Stanford, Paul Gomez, SouthNarc, Tom Givens and more.

FIREARMZ

Sponsored Links