Post the schools you know of! - Page 2

Post the schools you know of!

This is a discussion on Post the schools you know of! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Holy Crap, we have representation here in Vegas, Right on. ~A Originally Posted by PFC Director Progressive F.O.R.C.E. Concepts, LLC Las Vegas, NV www.PFCtraining.com Open ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Holy Crap, we have representation here in Vegas, Right on.

~A

Quote Originally Posted by PFC Director
    Progressive F.O.R.C.E. Concepts, LLC
    Las Vegas, NV

www.PFCtraining.com

Open and Restricted Programs offered in Las Vegas and across the Country.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    Holy Crap, we have representation here in Vegas, Right on.

~A
    If you live in the Las Vegas area, I would encourage you to look these guys up.
    You would train at a fantastic facility, and get the best training around. I have tried others, these guys are the real deal.
    PFC is known for training elite military units and servicing government contracts, yet PFC offers civilian training as well.
    PFC now travels across the country, as a matter of fact, I host a class here on the East coast every year.
    Check out PFC's web site. www.pfctraining.com

Please let me know what you think,

Thanks,

Art

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Chameleon,

I take it you arranged the CT training, right?

This raises an important issue for those interested in training in the gun-unfriendly Northeast, but don't live in the state where the training occurs.

Most of the Northeast PROHIBIT possession of any firearms without some sort of state/local issued permit. Violations are usually felonies. Said states are also very proud of the fact that they have NO reciprocity with anyone!

So my question is as follows:

- CT or NY (state, not City) - Are there any exemptions for those attending a training course in those states, but do not have a permit from said state?

I'll offer what little info I know for other New England states:

- NH - NO problem. Permit only required for CCW, open carry doesn't require any permit. Possession of any firearm does not require any permit.

- MA - ?? I'm pretty knowledgeable about MA gun laws, but I've never looked into this one. There is an exemption for attending a gun show or match, but I don't recall seeing any wording regarding training.

- VT - NO permits for anything to do with firearms. It is a "free state".

Hi LenS,

You are correct, in the state of Ct, no CCW, no handguns allowed for the purpose of training. No provisions are made.

Even LEO needs a permit, without one, they can't carry, unless of course they are on "official business".
    We arrange for the use of a firearm for those that are without a Connecticut non-resident CCW.

Both instructors that teach here in Ct,but are not CT residents, are full time LEOs, and I furnish them with a handgun.( by the way, these two instructors are in the photo to the left, my avatar)

I hope this helps answer your question.

Thanks for asking,

Art

Art, that really sucks. But I appreciate your answer, even if I don't like it.

I'm not surprised the CT won't recognize HR218 (Nationwide LEO CCW) that became Fed Law last year. They aren't alone in this position. MA and FL have declared that NO retired LEOs "qualify" under this law.

It amazes me as well, the Federal Government passes a law such as HR218, and it is ignored by many states.

The truth is, CT is not in the dark ages, and I think in time we will come around to looking at and recognizing HR218.Afterall, it is an advantage to our police in this state to carry their handguns out of state when not on official bussiness.

When traveling, I have found very few states allow us to ship our handguns, and allow us to use them for training.
    With all this reciprocity, it has become much easier.

I have had people apply for their non-resident CT CCW in order to have their own handguns for this class I host here.

Art, I can't speak about CT (haven't lived there since 1973), but the MA Chiefs of Police Assn voted AGAINST HR218, absolutely don't support it. The local chiefs here want to make the decisions on who can carry and who can't on an individual basis (our permits are strictly discretionary and each of our 351 towns/cities make their own rules on who does/doesn't get one)!

I'm planning on taking Randy Cain's course in the Nashua area and may take Gabe Suarez's course as well (same area). Since I have MA and NH permits, I'm all set. Agreed that if I were planning on attending a CT course and had enough time, getting their permit would be a good idea, but money won't permit 3 courses in a single year! Otherwise I'd have no need for a CT permit as I rarely even travel thru there and the once every few years that I do is on the way to/from friends in NJ, so I couldn't even legally carry a thought of self-defense with me never-mind a gun!

Even though I am LE (Constable, appointed by the town, but don't report to the PD), I can't get the town to even issue me an ID (I haven't given up but I've been fighting this battle for ~6 years now) so HR218 is totally useless to me even if the states do get their heads out of their posteriors.

When doing training it is always best to use your own gear. Part of the objective is to know what does and doesn't work!

Chameleon,

Someone just sent me the following re CT law and it "appears" to have an exemption for training. Can you please verify and then update us on legality?

[I apologize for the length of this, but not knowing CT laws, I didn't want to risk editing it and losing any important context. This is exactly what was sent to me, I have no link that verifies the precise wording on a state-run webpage.]

CGS 29-35:

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

Well, I read it, but it is taken for granted that transporting a pistol for training was not allowed. I have had a few conversations about this with the CT State police.
    I would have to say that the trick wording is what official training facility is to be used.
    "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and........

DC Founder
    Boy am I am glad I live in Arizona....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

For those in Missouri check the website www.missouricarry.com Bill Regina is a LEO instructor and he has classes ever so often. Look him up. You will have to do a search on Bill Regina on the forum.

RangeMaster-Mr. Tom Givens-Memphis,Tn www.rangemaster.com

Tactical Response-James Yeager & Crew-Camden,Tn. www.warriormindset.com or type in tacticalresponse
    Gabe Suarez-www.suarezinternational.com

Personel Defense Training {PDT}-David Blinder Atlanta,Ga. www.personeldefensetraining.com

All of these guys are top shelf and very professional. Worth every penney!!
    Last edited by ramtough47; May 19th, 2005 at 02:12 PM.

How can any freedom loving person live in a state such as CT, MA, RI, NJ, MD, HI, or CA. I just don't understand the longing to live in a place that has no respect for the Constitution or liberty.

dhomoney,

We don't always get to choose where we live by our political persuasion!

My Wife and I were born here (MA), essentially the few living relatives we have are here and my Sister (who is under State care as she is mentally retarded . . . they "own" her, and since she has Alzheimer's I am the only family member around who can advocate for her) keep us here. Additionally, my Wife has a good paying job that she really loves in the health care industry, so you don't just up and quit for a minimum wage job somewhere else due to politics. We also own a house, so you just don't "break the lease" and look for another apartment somewhere else.

We moved back to MA (after living in CT for 3 years) in 1974 for graduate school and career reasons. I didn't even get involved with guns until 1976 and have spent considerable time fighting for our rights with legislators, GOAL, etc. ever since. We've both been active in town government for the past almost 30 years, know all our local "players" and don't get a lot of BS (or accept it if they try to throw it) from our local folks . . . ergo, we have no problem getting our firearms permit (unrestricted).

If I was into firearms at 22 and saw what we have now, I might have left the state permanently after college graduation. But I don't regret standing up for my rights and fighting a corrupt and idiotic system.

BTW, I have friends who escaped to AZ from MA. Sounds good until you realize the AZ restrictions on WHERE you can carry with a permit in AZ! No public venues, government buildings, places that serve alcohol, businesses that are posted, etc. As bad as everyone thinks it is in MA, once you have a permit, there are NO STATUTORY places off limits (except schools/colleges)! Anyone who posts their business as "no guns" can do so, but it has NO LEGAL STANDING in MA . . . thanks but I'll take it as we have it. [Anyplace can setup security and refuse you entry, but you can not (in MA) be arrested for "illegally carrying a firearm" into a mall, store, public library, town hall, restaurant or bar!]

I'll recommend Pat Goodale's Practical Firearms Training for those in the Southen WV/Western VA areas.
    http://www.pgpft.com/

Monty

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links