Range report: Dot Torture

This is a discussion on Range report: Dot Torture within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Excellent drill here. 8x11" paper pistol-training.com » Dot Torture Hit the range today. 43 was best I could do....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Range report: Dot Torture

Excellent drill here.

8x11" paper

pistol-training.com » Dot Torture

Hit the range today. 43 was best I could do.

Calling TechiCCW and LuvMyPX4 ...

It's gonna give them migraines for the first few weeks of going after that target. But it might well help with the "aim small / miss small" narrowing of the sights.

This sort of thing looks much like what I was introduced to, back when starting with handguns. Tough taskmasters, those folks. Hard enough to do with 3in circles at 3-4yds, let alone smaller circles at greater distances. But it can be a good aspect to the training, demanding all the basic fundamental skills come together ... grip, sighting, trigger, managing the balance/recoil for follow-on accuracy, reloads.

Good post, OP.
    Phaedrus and LuvMyPX4 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I both love and hate this drill. If you have a weekness it will show. I know my limitations and sometimes will rush things, this drill helps me stop that. Good shooting....
    breakingcontact likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

JD
    Administrator
    Dot Torture......

Or as I call it, "The Humbler"

Exactly. It is a baseline. I can go out and bust clays or shoot my IDPA targets if I want an ego boost. This is an ego check and forces me to improve.

Ill try and post an update next time I go out in probably a few weeks.
    ccw9mm and Kutz like this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I'm going to have to try that one! It will be interesting to see if I can do it with a CC gun. Ill try it with both a pocket gun and a range gun. The wife's MK1 Ruger should be easier to hit targets but the big sights and long barrel wont help the draw any. DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I'm going to have to try that one! It will be interesting to see if I can do it with a CC gun. Ill try it with both a pocket gun and a range gun. The wife's MK1 Ruger should be easier to hit targets but the big sights and long barrel wont help the draw any. DR
    Funny you mentioned that. I was planning on just shooting it one time with my full size gun and once with my carry gun. Ended up shooting it 3x with my full sized only! Will try it with my Shield sometime.

Soooo... is this drill performed by aiming or point shooting? Or doesn't it make a difference?
    Would a point shooter succeed with this drill?

I printed one out today I'm going to try shortly. Maybe this week. Not that I'm going to show anyone, lol.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    It's designed for sighted fire.

However, I think a good point-shooter can have enough precision/accuracy to achieve the goals at 3 yards - maybe at 5.
    PAcanis likes this.

That would be something to see.
    Point small, miss small.
    Phaedrus likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Some of the old-hats here responded in a detailed manner to my questions on group sizes/expected accuracy with respect to distance-to-target (and movement), point-shooting, so I'm approximating based off what they've reported and the size of those "dots."

I definitely also think that would be something to see - but I think it's possible.

I haven't tried this in a long, long time, and Dot 8 is always the one that gives me trouble. Thanks to a recent private instructional session, I've gone from inconsistently inconsistent to at least being consistently precise - albeit deficient on accuracy (I'm "milking") on my support side. I hope to work on this in the coming weeks.
    breakingcontact likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Calling TechiCCW and LuvMyPX4 ...

It's gonna give them migraines for the first few weeks of going after that target. But it might well help with the "aim small / miss small" narrowing of the sights.

This sort of thing looks much like what I was introduced to, back when starting with handguns. Tough taskmasters, those folks. Hard enough to do with 3in circles at 3-4yds, let alone smaller circles at greater distances. But it can be a good aspect to the training, demanding all the basic fundamental skills come together ... grip, sighting, trigger, managing the balance/recoil for follow-on accuracy, reloads.

Good post, OP.
    Thanks for the heads up. I think I will try this with my laser first (since I won't get to the range for a while). Besides, can't draw at the range, but I can use low ready.

Thanks OP. I think it looks like a great exercise that is bound to humble me and give me migraines
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

I criticize the overall gun community pretty harshly for being much more about gear than skill. So im putting my $ where my mouth is and laying my ability bare with the purpose of improving and encouraging others.
    TSiWRX, PAcanis and miller_man like this.

Milking is something I need to watch out for as well. Grip matters much much more than stance.

So using my laser cartridge...I shot 50/50 in the garage tonight. I surprisingly shot 5/5 support hand only.

So...somebody is flinching anticipating recoil...

Whats my solution? Shoot one dry fire five drill?
    TSiWRX likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links