The No-Good, the Bad and the Ugly

This is a discussion on The No-Good, the Bad and the Ugly within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am sure we all have had our bad training situations, maybe not the whole course or day but just enough to take the positive ...

Thread: The No-Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The No-Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I am sure we all have had our bad training situations, maybe not the whole course or day but just enough to take the positive edge from what should be a great day. Example;I am on the line with about 12 others shooting 2 to the com and one to the head and I am reholstering my .45! I hear very loud shouting of NO,NO,NO etc and see one of the range officers running toward me. I catch on pretty quick that hey he thinks my safety is not on, with the gun laying flat on my hand it is apparent the safety is indeed on. He mumbles and moves back away, the rest of the class think I am an idiot.
    My other bad day was when a range officer standing near me said you don't have to ease your slide down(on my 1911 with chamber empty) just let it go!!! I said something to the effect its not good for the 1911 and over time may damage it. He wanted to know who told me that and I said a gun smith(to get rid of him). He insisted on being right and went and got another instructor to agree with him and he told me so. I ignored the stupid (*&^&^%%$). Sometime later I am on the the line listening to what the main RO is saying and he starts a conversation with me about my shoes. Where did I get them how much did they cost and he cannot find them etc. All the while I am intent on listening for commands on the line, I really believe this guy was trying to screw me up.
    Both of these instructors were visiting instructors from a very large firearm training place. I will not even consider ever going to that otherplace even if I had free classes offered there!!!
    So if you have experienced the No-Good Bad and Ugly training events please tell us. Not looking for names or that just how did it happen.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Lots of trainers out there...just a few with class. The secret is knowing which is which.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Got to love that ..there are some people that shouldnt be trainers and some that should ive met more locally that shouldnt be than should..

Sounds like your day was about like mine

Not that bad bud, now if Wx would just make up its mind about what is is going to do tonight, I'll be happy.

As far as trainers are concerned, when picking one, read everything he/she has written if possible.

Many people will not really tell you if they have made a bad choice about anything. That means, while I listen, my decision is not made on the basis of what someone tells me about a course. If 20 people tell me the same thing, well that might be different.

I know most of the nationally know trainer that have been on the scene for 20 years or longer. I also know many of the little know guys, that may be involved with LEO training within a small area or even a state here in the midwest. Lots of good guys out there. the people that train at IALEFI and ASLET regional and national conferences are usually very good.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Lead Moderator

Angry bad instructors

Went to CCW class. Ws told instructor has a small museum. Reality it was a pole barn with lots of antique crap and some C&R pieces. O.k. no big deal. Next , lots of B.S. incorrect law interptation ect. O.k. as a former LE I can read laws myself. Half way thru class room instruction the stories and bad John Wayne impressions start. Of to the range. Low backstop, paper plates as targets. Shoulder to should crowding with other shooters. Luckily I thought enough ahead to get on the left end of the shootin line. No hot brass for me down the neck. I was so glad when the class was over. between improper range control and the other stuff it was a long , tiring weekend. Sad part was , the instructor had some good obsevations, suggestions and experience, just too much improper or incorrect stuff to be right. Honestly , I feel sorry for others with little or no firearms training or previous experience .

Thats the idea, I am hoping folks will tell about their issues in training. Not many of us can afford to get on airplanes and fly around the country to train. Some do and they get a broad picture of training. So lets hear the stories. Did you drop your firearm ever, was someone out front of everyone and you hear bang?
    How about the guy coming into class and removing his firearm from a briefcase and it goes bang, the instructor acts like he never heard a thing.(yes that did actually happen).
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I think this should be a Sticky review post where reviews are submitted and posted by the mods ..

This thread is for people to list their experiences in firearm training that may be unusual or simply not good. We are not looking for names etc but rather experience. So no I don't want this thread to be anything other than what it is intended, a place for the little guy to say you know this happened to me.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I am surprised by the non-response to my post!
    My experience has been for each training session I attended there would be something out of the ordinary happen. Now I have not been to many training events and they have been local. Just thought it would be an interesting thread.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

DC Founder
    I figured the thread would get more posts as well, but we should be encouraged that it didn't. Evidently most people's training experiences aren't all that bad or they at least took away something new that they could use.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    Perhaps a lot of new to CCw folks don't know bad training. I saw lots of first time gun owners with no experience at all prior to the CCW class. Luckily I had prior LEO training to guide me. As much as I am pro gun for anyone qualified, I feel more stringent controls should be used. Heck , my class didn't shoot for score. I feel poorly trained folks are more dangerous than some criminals.

Good point Bumper, thanks for the input rocky. You guys make me feel a little better, its always good to get a little conversation going about training. There may very well be as Bumper pointed out good training or we would hear more on the down side. Thanks guys.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    My bro went to CCW class. His instructor is a private detective. My bro got all the class work done and just had to shoot to complete the class. The instructor gets shot in the back while pumping gas. Winds up not finishing the class or re imbursing anyone who took it.

Links