Should a shooting proficiency test be required for a CWP? - Page 6

Should a shooting proficiency test be required for a CWP?

This is a discussion on Should a shooting proficiency test be required for a CWP? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While it is a constitutional right to keep and bear arms, even in the cowboy days certain gun control restrictions applied. I think every American ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Should a shooting proficiency test be required for a CWP?

While it is a constitutional right to keep and bear arms, even in the cowboy days certain gun control restrictions applied. I think every American that is not proven to be a crimminal should have the right to purchase and own a firearm, but when it comes to walking around in public with one, there is common sense that dictates some form of training should be acquired. Now if all CCW owners willingly took a class then that would solve the whole thing in my mind, personal responsibility is a uncommon valor now days.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Let's carry this to freedom of speech, another right or at least it is supposed to be. "Only those with a certain amount of education will be allowed to publicily access this right" At home they can speak out as much as they want, however to speak in public you must take a proficiency test. If we can do it to one right we can do it to another.

While someones words will hurt my feelings, they won't have neglegent discharges in the theatre and kill my kid.
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Senior Moderator
    I'm not opposed to some carry restrictions; we have speech restrictions. But, a person at home is just as dangerous as a person carrying, the only difference is different people are affected.

I could have all the training in the world and if the state decided I shouldn't carry for whatever reason, the state can simply revoke my carry permit and I no longer have a right to carry.

I don't have a problem with training; in fact, I'm in favor of it. The problem I have is that requiring training to carry and not for ownership misses the vast majority of gun owners.

Then let a catastrophe happen and those gun owners with no training are now carrying without training. Or, a gun owner gets a call from his daughter that she's in danger and dad is gonna carry his gun without training.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    While someones words will hurt my feelings, they won't have neglegent discharges in the theatre and kill my kid.
    Has that ever happened? Not that I'm aware of.

But, your kid could be killed while visiting a friend whose untrained dad gets his gun out while your kid is there.

I think it's a given that far more gun accidents happen in the home that in public place by people that carry.

Firearmz, this is not a flame, but your argument is exactly what Sarah Brady is using to do away with gun ownership completely. You don't want someone untrained, they don't want anyone carrying at all. Tangle is right we have allowed gun ownership and carry to become a priviledge, when our forefathers intended it to be a right.

Senior Moderator
    We've just about covered this topic. If you wanna get somethin' else posted, do it soon, I'm gonna close this shortly.

First of all I'm avidly pro 2A. I'm also avidly pro training. NOTHING takes the place of training. If we decide to "require" training: How much training is necessary? How often will they need to go in for retraining? What type of training will it be? How much will it cost? who will be certified to train? Who will decide what training is acceptable and what is not? Will the training only encompass the one firearm trained with? Will there be a limit on the size of caliber we are allowed to carry for self defense?
    All these questions and more will come up, in fact in some states they already have. The question that scares me is: "Who gets to set the standards for this? I doubt that it will be us!"

Senior Moderator
    Here I am prolonging the inevitable, but, a lot of those questions have already been dealt with in the licensing process for concealed carry.

I know Tangle just venting. Thanks for listening.

It wasn't a theatre but it was right outside the front door of a convenience store. The guy was gonna show his buddy his pistol (G30) and he had a negligent discharge right there in the parking lot. Incidents like this probably do not make big news unless it does injure someone.

Like everything that makes our country great debate is always good to come across a happy medium. The Supreme court will eventually decide for all of us, we just need to hope that it wasn't like every decision they made on it in the past.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/c...n/amendment02/
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Firearmz, +1, I've enjoyed exchanging views with everyone.

Senior Moderator
    Me too, guys, but we've exchanged them many times now and seem to be starting over again.

Besides, how come you guys decide to start bein' nice to each other now!

He is armed and trained Tangle, I'm just armed. (lol)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links