Ideal distance to train

Ideal distance to train

This is a discussion on Ideal distance to train within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In your own opinion, what is your ideal distance for training while carrying concealed? I know you should be proficient for varying distances but what ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Ideal distance to train

In your own opinion, what is your ideal distance for training while carrying concealed? I know you should be proficient for varying distances but what would be the most likely distance you would have to shoot? For some reason, i woke up this morning with questions like this running through my head.
    Last edited by QKShooter; February 7th, 2007 at 04:29 PM.

Administrator
    7 yards or so.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Me?, 10 yards or less
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

VIP Member
    In my honest opinion CC training should mostly be done at 7 yards. Not saying you should not train for other situations but I feel the norm will happan within this distance. A lot also train at 25 yards on this forum but in my state I'm afraid at this distance might land you in jail. At 25 yards hopefully there is enough distance to escape. And that is what they want you to do in my state. I myself would rather take a stand and send this lost soul to a happier place than trying to take my life. States that allow you to hold your ground makes sence to train at different distance but in my state that might get you in trouble putting it to good use.

I'm no expert and I don't claim to be. But it seems to me that the majority of us can shoot a gun with a normal two hand grip when you can see a target at a distance and have time to act. What comes more unnatural to us, is up close and personal stuff. Honestly, how many of us have ever shot with a gun at our sides, one handed in a weird position, etc. While it is a good idea to be able to hit targets at any distance, I believe the one we need to practice on the most is up close. That is where MOST situations are going to happen.

Being able to draw, control the weapon, not drop it, get it on target and fire up close will be a very crucial. I intend on learning up close techniques. I haven't practiced any yet. I need to get a blue dummy gun so I can practice this with my friend or my girlfriend.

65-75% from contact to 15 ft...one handed. Focus on retention, elbow up elbow down, 1/4 hip, 3/4 hip, movement, gun as a blunt object, basic avoidance and martial responses.

Good perp and gun handling up to 15 ft means you'll probably do fine out to 30 or so.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; February 6th, 2007 at 06:55 PM.

I train at 7-10 yards, and practice as far out as 50 feet.

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - I think we mostly agree on the 5 to 7 yard region. But as has been mentioned we really need to think contact and on from there. That is why IMO there is much need for being proficient from retention.

As riverkeeper mentions, get this right and you'll be good to a bit further if really needed. I do also include 25 yards at times, simply to know the gun's abilities at that range (and mine!!!).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member

Three to Five yards--

Quote Originally Posted by jonathancase View Post
    In your own oppinion, what is your ideal distance for training while carrying concealed? I know you should be proficient for verying distances but what would be the most likley distance you would have to shoot? For some reason, i woke up thismorning with questions like this running through my head.
    I practice at three and five yards. Even if someone starts at you from the 7 yard point, they'll be much closer when you react.

If they are more than 15 feet away, I'm running in the other direction-actually on an angle.

I can hardly see the target at 15 yards, though the docs insist I'm 20/20.

There is no one true distance. To start off, there are real differences between very short range shooting (when the opponent is so close that you cannot fully extend the gun in a normal stance) and longer ranges. Practicing very short range shooting really won't help you with longer ranges and vice versa.

For shooting beyond very close range, there's a lot more transferability. The skills for shooting at three yards are basically the same as the skills for shooting at ten yards. The details, however, are still different, particularly how fast to shoot and how much care to take. If a target is three yards away I can just roughly line up the sights and let loose almost as fast as I can pull the trigger and score pretty good hits. If the target is ten yards away, I need to take a bit more time, particularly in reestablishing my sight picture between shots. If the target is 25 yards away I need to take a lot more time and concentrate on trigger control.

One place where I've found that I run into trouble in tactical shooting is transitioning between close and medium distance targets. I'm engaging at close range and just letting it rip, then the next target is at medium range, but I'm shooting too fast to be accurate at that distance. I failed to neutralize a target at a tactical shoot last weekend largely because I was trying to shoot a medium range faster than I was really capable of.

Once you're outside of contact range, the differences in how to shoot at various distances are pretty small, but they can have a large effect. You really need to practice at all ranges in order to get a feel for them and, in particular, develop a sense of your own limits at different ranges.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    15 miles. At least that's how far I have to drive to the range. I suppose it could be a bit closer.

Okay, 7-15 yards is about where I train. I say 7-15 because I don't measure it.
    Last edited by lowflyer; February 6th, 2007 at 08:23 PM.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I have done some training with a close friend, LEO/swat. One of the excercises we practice with is as follows:

1:Stand faceing target angled so firearm is farthest from target. Aprox. 4 feet or so

(for practice, with weak hand, grab strong side sleave at shoulder to prevent injury)

2: Draw, butt of weapon against hip bone, 2 shots center mass

3: Raise weapon to eye level, side step to strong side, place third round where desired.

That is my training for a close incounter. If this is something you would be interested to try, PRACTICE UNLOADED FIRST!!!!!

The muzzle of the weapon is very close to the body, be carefull.

A good practice routine is the IDPA Classifier. It does it all from strong hand only, weak hand only, shooting while moving, etc.

And, if you want to keep track of your progress and learn your strong and weak points, you can time and score it.

A friend and I try to shoot part or all of the IDPA Classifier monthly when weather permits.

Here's a link: http://www.idpa.com/classify1.asp

I shoot most rounds at 7 yards. That said- I also shoot 15 and 25 yards- for the sake of shooting.

I believe when the SHTF it will most likely be belly to belly in touching range. That makes the unarmed drills and drawing a whole lot more important, huh? There are some good materials out there on drills and techniques, (there's also alot of crap)

I recommend: Defensive shooting for real life encounters by Ralph Mroz.

I practice at many different ranges, 7-30 yards. I know retreat is popular outside of 15-20 yards, however with small kids in tow it complicates the issue.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links