eye dominance...

eye dominance...

This is a discussion on eye dominance... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; most people or at least half have the same eye dominance as their dominant hand but there are exceptions (like me). I'm right eye dominant ...

Thread: eye dominance...

eye dominance...

most people or at least half have the same eye dominance as their dominant hand but there are exceptions (like me). I'm right eye dominant but left handed when it comes to shooting. although this helped me to train more with both hands, their is a simple way to find out which eye is dominate to each individual. hold both arms out in front of you with both hands touching, looking at the back of your hands. index touching index, thumbs touching thumbs, like a triangle. with both eyes staring through the center of your triangle, close one eye then switch to the other. the eye (when closed and opened again) that causes a shift (looking like the hands are moving) is the dominant eye. i hope i described it well enough. it's easier in person but is shear proof to rely on.
    What's this button do?

I am predominant right handed. Predominant left eyed.
    Shooting a pistol or revolver I hold with right hand, sight with left eye.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Easy test: Hold both hands out in front of you at arm's length, and make about a 1in "hole" between the overlapped hands where the web between your thumbs and forefingers resides. Essentially, you're creating a little "rifle scope" to peep through. Your dominant eye will naturally take over. To verify which eye that is, simply close the other eye, noting which eye has control over the sight picture.

I'm also a lefty with right eye dominance. So, when I do this, my right eye invariably takes control through the "sights" in the above test.

Previous discussion from October. There are a few tricks to being crossed-up in the dominance and adjusting. I tend to tilt the head and gun hand a bit more, to accommodate. Others take other steps, such as learning how to shoot with the other hand. 'Course, I tried that and couldn't hit a 10" target at 10yds with any great frequency. A lot of help that was!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

An easier way to check eye dominance is take one thumb stick it straight up, like giving a thumbs up, extend the arm fully and with both eyes open aim at a spot on the wall, close one eye, if the thumb is still lined up, hey thats your dominant eye, if not it is the other eye. No cheating this way.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Cross-dominance is one of the reasons I like the CAR system so much. I'm left-eye dominant and shoot a rifle left-handed, but a pistol right-handed. CAR has provided me with a way of shooting my handgun with my "dominant" hand while sighting with my dominant eye without having to fight for it. To me, this is a big advantage over the traditional Iso/Weaver stances.

What I've noticed - through two years of exclusively using and instructing CAR - is that I no longer truly have a dominant eye... I switch between my eyes as easily as I transition a weapon from hand to hand, and when I do these dominance tests my results will vary; sometimes left eye, sometimes right eye.

However, dominance is not just eyes and hands; we all have a preferred leg, foot, and ear (among other things). Lots of research has been conducted on the subject of dominance. Read up on it and you'll be quite interested in what you may find.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickpocket View Post
    Cross-dominance is one of the reasons I like the CAR system so much.... CAR has provided me with a way of shooting my handgun with my "dominant" hand while sighting with my dominant eye without having to fight for it........

What I've noticed - through two years of exclusively using and instructing CAR - is that I no longer truly have a dominant eye... I switch between my eyes as easily as I transition a weapon from hand to hand, and when I do these dominance tests my results will vary; sometimes left eye, sometimes right eye.........

OK, I give up. What's the CAR system?
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Quote Originally Posted by 40FIVER View Post
    OK, I give up. What's the CAR system?
    A simple googling of "car system" and "dominant eye" pulled up this: C.A.R. system.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

keep both eyes open and in real world it is "point and shoot", no time to close one eye to shoot. so it does not matter which eye, keep both open, train in the "point and shoot" style of shooting.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    keep both eyes open and in real world it is "point and shoot", no time to close one eye to shoot. so it does not matter which eye, keep both open, train in the "point and shoot" style of shooting.
    Aimed fire using a sight picture is perfectly possible with both eyes open. All you have to do is align the sights with the dominant eye (which becomes pretty much automatic after enough repititions) and your brain will ignore the view of the sights from your non-dominant eye. No need to point shoot.

At ease, gentlemen. Let's not turn this into the PS vs. SF thread.

A better source for info on CAR would be http://www.sabretactical.com

eyes

I second the C.A.R. system because of the other advantages as well

i agree with the C.A.R system as well but when shooting with a handgun the distance doesn't make that much of a difference when sighting. with a tight gripped rifle, it does. take an AR, or a standard rifle... hell, a shoulder pitted shotgun. if your one hand dominant and the other with your dominant eye, sighting something this close will make a difference... almost impossible. comments with this? please do... maybe I'm off topic with my own post.
    What's this button do?

Quote Originally Posted by downrange View Post
    i agree with the C.A.R system as well but when shooting with a handgun the distance doesn't make that much of a difference when sighting. with a tight gripped rifle, it does. take an AR, or a standard rifle... hell, a shoulder pitted shotgun. if your one hand dominant and the other with your dominant eye, sighting something this close will make a difference... almost impossible. comments with this? please do... maybe I'm off topic with my own post.
    You're not off topic.

Rifles, unfortunately, are a different animal entirely. You'll either end up resting the stock on the dominant (eye) side and using your "weak" hand, or you'll have to learn how to use your non-dominant eye. Either way, you've got some work to do.
    Have you tried to shoot with weak-side/dominant eye with the rifle? Results?

The way I check for dominate eye is to point at something with my right hand . I do this with both eyes open . I then shut each eye one at a time The eye that aligns with what I'm pointing at is the dominate eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    The way I check for dominate eye is to point at something with my right hand . I do this with both eyes open . I then shut each eye one at a time The eye that aligns with what I'm pointing at is the dominate eye.

Yep

Sponsored Links