Indoor vs Public Outdoor. Which is better and why

This is a discussion on Indoor vs Public Outdoor. Which is better and why within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So far, all my range time has been at a local indoor range that is only about 15 minutes from my house. The nearest public ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Indoor vs Public Outdoor. Which is better and why

Distinguished Member Array LuvMyPX4's Avatar

So far, all my range time has been at a local indoor range that is only about 15 minutes from my house.

The nearest public outdoor range is over an hour away.
    I know that both have their place in development and practice, but, how far is too far?

The outdoor range does not encourage movement routines etc, but, when no one else is there...

For those who are not blessed to have a range in their back yard, or have to $$ to be part of a club that allows indoor and outdoor, how far would you drive to be able to shoot outdoor, practice draws, move, etc?
    Zechariah 10:5 They shall be like mighty men in battle, trampling the foe in the mud of the streets; they shall fight because the LORD is with them, and they shall put to shame those that seek evil.

NRA Lifetime Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    how far would you drive to be able to shoot outdoor, practice draws, move, etc?
    I'll jump in this 'un.....

There's an DNR outdoor range about and hour from my house that I love to go to. Way out in the woods, good facilities, etc., etc....... It's just an hour away. BUT I/we can do just about anything we need/want to out there depending on how many people might or might not be out there with us. On weekdays my range buddies and myself had had an outright competitions, obstacles and movement drills, etc., etc. MUCH fun AND excellent training/practice/drill time as well. That's a trip that HAS to be planned in advance and time taken to make a day of it.

MUCH closer to home is two outdoor and 1 indoor range. Can't do nearly the 'stuff' at these ranges BUT..... a quick trip to try out a new gun or holster, run a box of 'new' ammo thru the EDC, etc., etc. The AC/heat is a big plus for the indoor range as well.

Now, which one I like more depends entirely on my mood, money, time, and wind direction.
    LuvMyPX4 and flintlock62 like this.

Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar
    Of course each has their pluses and minuses. I would suggest you look around and find a range that holds IDPA/USPSA, Steel Challenge competition. Other than going to a quality shooting school these types of competition can be a great help in getting use to moving, shooting, using cover, reloads and all that kind of stuff. And besides that it's just plain fun!

Even if the range is private they will generally allow non-members to participate in organized competition. My local club charges non-members $15 instead of $10 for members. Look around, check with your LGS's.

IDPA - Welcome!

Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association

Steel Challenge Shooting Association Home Page - US Practical Shooting Assocation
    ShooterGranny and LuvMyPX4 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'm very lucky to have choices on where to shoot. I'd drive quite a ways to be able to do more than you can do in a lane at an indoor range but I probably wouldn't do it as often.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.

The closest public range to me is about 35 miles and of course it is outdoors. See the recent thread about public ranges. I pay a yearly membership fee for a private club range and benefits, and it is 65 miles one way for me. There is an indoor range very close to me (5 miles) that I do use from time to time and it's where I know the owner and took my original CC class. It is well ventilated and I know because I was there when the owner was building it. This is key to an indoor range, well ventilated. Breathing lead dust is just about as bad as eating lead paint IMO. For these reasons, I always prefer to shoot at an outdoor range. Not only that, but shooting on an outdoor range gives you better and more realistic lighting, free and unfiltered oxygen, sunlight (gives you vitamins you need), unencumbered movement, and I can pick up my own brass without anyone else stepping on it.
    Which is better indoor vs outdoor range? I've told you my personal preferences. For $100 per year range club membership, and the high cost of gasoline, I always make a full day of it at the range when I go. Outdoor range always beats indoor for me. I've shot in the rain, the freezing cold, windy days, and with snow falling. I just don't like being in a box or a lane. Besides, the sounds of nature when I am reloading or picking up brass in the grass or seeing a rabbit running is kind of soothing for me. Nature rules!
    Yeah, it's a personal thing, but you have to choose what's best for you and what's available in your area. [quote]The outdoor range does not encourage movement routines etc, but, when no one else is there..[quote]
    Exactly. My club range is awesome and that's what I pay for every year. Separate bays and do as you please. My club also holds sanctioned USPSA matches which I take part in when my schedule allows.
    I figure that you've searched the clubs/ranges in your area. I've had a shooting range in my back 40 before and it's nice. That was on 3 acres, but I'm a city slicker again for reasons. We just do our best in our given circumstances I reckon.

VIP Member
    We shoot at both indoor and outdoor ranges. Personally, I think I shoot better when I'm outside. To me, 15 yards seems much closer outdoors than it does in an indoor range......and because it's "closer" (in my mind) I'm more accurate. And, if we are the only ones there we can do as we please re moving in any direction etc. It is a private club and we have weekly pistol shoots of various types.

BUT - in the middle of winter or on a really rainy day I'm glad we bought the membership to the indoor range. At least their targets move forward and backwards and you can program them to turn face-to-sideways at whatever distance or rate you wish, so it's not totally static, even though close. And it is a new range with really excellent air circulation.
    Stoveman and LuvMyPX4 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member
    Easy choice for me. I belong to an outdoor range that is about 30 - 35 minutes. The closest indoor range is 25 - 30 minutes. I'd be willing to drive an extra 15 - 20 minutes for the outdoor range. I'd be willing to go further if it was for occasional outdoor -- this place is an annual membership. After paying the annual fee it is hard to justify going to another range.
    LuvMyPX4 and ShooterGranny like this.

I would think indoor range would be better as you don't have to worry about weather.As many guns there are in state of Maine you'd think we a bunch of indoor ranges.We just had one open in Bangor and they charge 15 bucks an hour.I bet they'll make a killing.We have one at our club but you can only shoot lead bullets and nothing over 38 special.It's always full and there's just to
    much demand.

Senior Moderator
    As noted, both have pros and cons, but in SC I personally would really like an inside range close due to the hear and humidity. I am stuck outside here, and high winds and sub-zero temps are not fun in the winter. To the contrary, here we can get six months outside easily, in decent weather.

BUT - in the middle of winter or on a really rainy day I'm glad we bought the membership to the indoor range. At least their targets move forward and backwards and you can program them to turn face-to-sideways at whatever distance or rate you wish, so it's not totally static, even though close. And it is a new range with really excellent air circulation.
    I love the power target control and programming too!
    JDavisArk likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

I belong to an outdoor range that is about 10-15 minutes from my house. I hate the place, but because it is close & cheap ($60/year) I go their one Monday each month at 0900 hours with my wife to run our drills.

I drive 1 hour (from my driveway to the range's parking lot - exactly) to go to an indoor range that I like shooting at. If it was 30 minutes closer, we would be members. My wife and I go to this range one Sunday morning each month, usually with a friend or two, then we head out for lunch and hit a couple of gun stores on the way back.

Outdoor/Indoor - it really depends on the particular range and what kind of policies each one has; specifically in regards to defensive pistol practice.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    My closest outdoor range is 10 minutes away. The closet indoor range is a half hour away. They both have their pros and cons. The biggest advantage to outdoor is the cost which is much cheaper. Only $30 for a yearly membership, whereas the indoor range is $245. Indoors you are limited to short distances that you don't have outdoors. With that said I prefer the indoor range. Weather is never an issue indoors. I also enjoy the freedom of being able to check and replace my targets as I choose. At an outdoor range, you have to wait for the RO to call the range cold and wait for it to be called hot again. The indoor range I go to is nicest I have been to yet. It is fully computerized and programmable which is really nice. One other problem with indoor is the noise in a confined area. Doubling up on hearing protection using both plugs and muffs makes it not much of a problem though.

I will not shoot at indoor ranges.. period. I drive about 10 miles to the range at the wildlife preserve. Sometimes I will drive 50 miles to the national forest range since nobody is ever there and I usually get the entire range to myself.
    Oldpsufan likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    As noted, both have pros and cons, but in SC I personally would really like an inside range close due to the hear and humidity. I am stuck outside here, and high winds and sub-zero temps are not fun in the winter. To the contrary, here we can get six months outside easily, in decent weather.

I love the power target control and programming too!
    IMO, train in real life, and outdoors means all of that. Pull the trigger with your hands frozen and you can't feel your trigger finger. Try manipulating your pistol with gloves on while you are shaking from the freezing cold. Worry about shooting in the rain? Why? Real world scenarios make us better in ways. I'll apologize up front for me calling anyone a wussy when it comes to shooting and the weather. I truly think we should all be put to the extreme tests because we can never know when we'll be put in the arena or under what conditions. A true warrior is ready and adept with any environmental conditions. Just ask our Viet Nam guys that are still alive as to what operating in adverse conditions actually is and how to save your life.
    Rock and Glock and Oldpsufan like this.

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^^ Not disagreeing..........Just preference
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

I have never shot at an indoor range . Why should I when I can just walk out on our patio and shoot all I want on my own property? Or a 5 minute drive to the farm and I can be on our own 1000 yard range .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links