Wyatt earp on shooting vs. Gunfighting

This is a discussion on Wyatt earp on shooting vs. Gunfighting within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WYATT EARP ON SHOOTING VS. GUNFIGHTING | LooseRounds.com When I say that I learned to take my time in a gunfight , I do not ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Wyatt earp on shooting vs. Gunfighting

Sponsor

Wyatt earp on shooting vs. Gunfighting

WYATT EARP ON SHOOTING VS. GUNFIGHTING | LooseRounds.com

When I say that I learned to take my time in a gunfight, I do not wish to be misunderstood, for the time to be taken was only that split fraction of a second that means the difference between deadly accuracy with a sixgun and a miss. It is hard to make this clear to a man who has never been in a gunfight. Perhaps I can best describe such time taking as going into action with the greatest speed of which a man’s muscles are capable, but mentally unflustered by an urge to hurry or the need for complicated nervous and muscular actions which trick-shooting involves. Mentally deliberate, but muscularly faster than thought, is what I mean.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    That was an excellent read, thanks for posting!
    AzQkr and gatorbait51 like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Hence the saying attributed to him that "fast is fine but accuracy is everything".
    Ars longa vita brevis

VIP Member
    Kind of like when my dad used to say "Be quick, but don't hurry."
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Sponsor
    gatorbait51 and molleur like this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    Hence the saying attributed to him that "fast is fine but accuracy is everything".
    the difference between deadly accuracy with a sixgun and a miss

He didn't go into detail about what he considered deadly accuracy, but from the above, it may be construed as making a COM shot or a miss. I don't think he was talking about a CNS hit expectation when he mentioned deadly accuracy.
    gatorbait51 and molleur like this.

I've always referred to it as finding the "groove" that a given gun and my muscles and competency allows, since each gun is somewhat different in the same hands for ~equivalent accuracy.

But that description provided is a better way to describe it. Muscularly sufficient but mentally unflustered.

Thanks for the good read.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good read thanks for posting
    AzQkr, gatorbait51 and molleur like this.
    "I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.

That was fun!
    AzQkr, gatorbait51 and molleur like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516

Another interesting Earp factoid concerns itself with the famous shootout at the OK Corral. There were over 30 witnesses to the event, meaning of course there were over 30 different stories about what happened. But one thing that all seemed to agree upon was that for the thirty seconds or so that the gunfight lasted, everyone was moving all over the place, what today we call moving off the X, ...except one guy. Wyatt Earp. And of all of the participants in the gunfight, in the end, only one was left standing without one scratch. Wyatt Earp. As one witness described it, Wyatt stood there firing his gun without moving one step. And again, was the only one never touched.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    --Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Great read. I always thought the Fanner 50 to be a Mattel creation, not something with basis in 19th century western reality.
    "Pick a ride, any ride, they all go round and round."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Another interesting Earp factoid concerns itself with the famous shootout at the OK Corral. There were over 30 witnesses to the event, meaning of course there were over 30 different stories about what happened. But one thing that all seemed to agree upon was that for the thirty seconds or so that the gunfight lasted, everyone was moving all over the place, what today we call moving off the X, ...except one guy. Wyatt Earp. And of all of the participants in the gunfight, in the end, only one was left standing without one scratch. Wyatt Earp. As one witness described it, Wyatt stood there firing his gun without moving one step. And again, was the only one never touched.
    Maybe the battle plan was to shoot anything that moved...
    gatorbait51, Katana1 and airslot like this.

When I was in grad school I worked on the grounds crew of a golf course. In three years I was only hit by a golf ball twice. Both times I was way in the rough. Never in the weeks worth of time I was in the fairways or greens mowing, spraying or working on the irrigation system.

With that stated, I will still train to get off the "X" and shoot while moving. I will not be a 3D version of a paper target for a BG.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hick63 View Post
    When I was in grad school I worked on the grounds crew of a golf course. In three years I was only hit by a golf ball twice. Both times I was way in the rough. Never in the weeks worth of time I was in the fairways or greens mowing, spraying or working on the irrigation system.

With that stated, I will still train to get off the "X" and shoot while moving. I will not be a 3D version of a paper target for a BG.
    Stand and deliver isn't my plan, either.

Sponsor
    Fight started at 6 feet and lasted 30 seconds. 6 FEET!!!!!!!.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links