Took My CC Class Yesterday

This is a discussion on Took My CC Class Yesterday within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I attended my CC class yesterday. There were 15 people in the class. Very good instructor with great examples of what happens when people don't ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Slice11
  • 1 Post By Bama61
  • 1 Post By Stoveman
  • 1 Post By Sliderfusion
  • 1 Post By VodoundaVinci

Thread: Took My CC Class Yesterday

I attended my CC class yesterday. There were 15 people in the class. Very good instructor with great examples of what happens when people don't handle handguns responsibly. I qualified with my PX4 9mm compact - what I will carry when I get my permit. One of my classmates brought a Desert Eagle .44 to qualify. I was shooting in the stall next to him. Man, when that thing went off, I could feel it - the entire room did. That is a cannon! You could tell he wasn't that familiar with his weapon. He had a lot of difficulty loading his ammo and the gun kept jamming every few rounds. The instructor ended up helping him a lot and even he had issues clearing his gun. I could never imagine him carrying that beast around, but that particular gun failed miserably as a HD weapon as well. It was good that he found out about his weapon now. I'd hate to be placed in a situation where I needed to defend myself or my family and then had it failing me. Of course, if he had taken the time to get to the range before he attended the class, he would have already known. He was advised by the instructor to send the gun back to the manufacturer to have them address the issues he was having. All in all, the class was a great experience - except when the shock wave from that .44 slammed into my face.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight, you need to take your time in a hurry" Wyatt Earp

USAF Retired
    Wire Dawgs

Congrats on your CC class!
    Where abouts in NC are you?
    Doorman55 likes this.
    If you can't write your idea on the back of a matchbook cover, you don't have a clear idea - unknown
    Never mistake activity for achievement - John Wooden
    Glock G26, G22, G42, G43, G19, Ruger SR22, GP100, Sig Sauer P238, Colt O1991, Browning Hi-Power, Barnes BP-15, M91/30

Goldsboro
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight, you need to take your time in a hurry" Wyatt Earp

USAF Retired
    Wire Dawgs

VIP Member
    Congrat's on the class and your right. That beast would be very difficult to cc.
    Doorman55 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    There's one in every class.....
    Doorman55 likes this.

Senior Member Array Sliderfusion's Avatar
    Congrats on your class, I take mine on June 6. I can't wait, all other paperwork is already submitted except certificate.
    Doorman55 likes this.
    "ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!"

Senior Member Array VodoundaVinci's Avatar
    Congrats on your class and on taking the steps to be another armed citizen. There seems to be at least one of these types in every class. That said, we have formed a small group of local CCL people as a sort of support group to deal with some of the misconceptions and even "bad habits" people developed or had reinforced in their CCL classes.

It started when a couple ladies who were at the range shooting/training after they had already received their CCL's observed my Wife hammering targets with various guns we were proofing as potential concealed carry guns for her. The ladies had qualified at the rnage with guns that their significant others had picked for them and realized during their qualifying tests that they simply were never going to be able to conceal or be comfortable varying those "hog legs"...they had their CCL's but never carried as they simply did not feel competent with the guns they had chosen. Or rather, the guns that had been chosen for them.

Long story short, my Wife showed them her Colt Pocket Hammerless and Glock 43 and we let them shoot these guns with a small amount of instruction using our ammo and a small support group was born. The group shares guns and experiences/training and is an extension and expansion of the basics we get in our CCL classes. It still amazes some folks that while a 9mm or .40 or .45 or .357 magnum revolver is touted and foisted upon some newbies as being "the minimum standard for self defense" many folks simply cannot conceal or master/be comfortable with these guns. Many give up or only carry when it is convenient having never been exposed to much variety or allowed to make their own decisions about suitable carry guns.

I personally find many CCl classes and qualifying tests to be a bare minimum and highly encourage folks to experiment and train well in advance of their classes and afterwards always looking for weapons and equipment that suit that particular individual and are inherently good SD weapons for them. I am amazed when folks take their proficiency tests or classes with stuff like the Desert Eagle...not that it can't be used as a CCL pistol. It's just not going to be practical for very many folks.

VooDoo
    Doorman55 likes this.

20150502_153241.jpg

Here's my target from qualifying. I was a little embarrassed when that one hit off to the left (I shot just as the cannon in the next stall went off). After moving back behind the line each time and everyone looking at how everyone else was doing, I knew I didn't have anything to be embarrassed about. I was amazed how everyone was so wild in their aim (maybe nerves?). VooDoo is right. This class is basic gun laws and the correct circumstances to defend yourself. The rest is up to you. I practice shooting all the time. I want to feel comfortable with my weapon and it be an extension of me. I'll be looking for and participating in additional training to further my knowledge of safely and responsibly defending myself in any situation.

USAF Retired
    Wire Dawgs

Distinguished Member Array Kutz's Avatar
    Cool
    A Wolf does not concern himself with the opinion of sheep.
    USMC Gunny, NRA Life Member, VFW
    If you don't know what your doing, Don't.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links