ADE Basic Combat Handgun Course @ LAX

This is a discussion on ADE Basic Combat Handgun Course @ LAX within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Review: Friend and I signed up for this class. He showed up at my place @ 8:30pm and we set off for PRK. In theback ...

Thread: ADE Basic Combat Handgun Course @ LAX

Review:

Friend and I signed up for this class. He showed up at my place @ 8:30pm and we set off for PRK. In theback of my Excursion was 4 1911's and no ammo as we had purchased it from the range hosting the event.

Drive went without any events eventhough LE presence was amazingly high. I pocked in the Cruise Control and just enjoyed the Ipod. Thankfully my co-pilot stayed awake the whole ride.

We arrived @ the range around 1:40am on Sat and literally pulled into the range parking lot and made camp and slept. We set both of our alarms for 6:30am and tried to cop some Zzz's. I got a few as did my friend.

6:30 and alarms go off. We look around and no one is here. I guess we are both the really early type. We decide to drive off and find some subsistence a la IHOP. We munch breakfast and brush our teeth and head back to the range.

Yeah people are here.

We check in and get name tags to be affixed to the back of our hat or shirts and make our way to the classroom. The class was limited to the first 20ppl. There were 18 of us with two absent due to a ruptured appendix. There were 4 instructors three of which were male. All the instructors were well versed and quite adept at conveying the information they had just taught in the previous lecture.

Initial lecture was range safety and demonstration of presentation from the holster by the numbers. I was glad to get a refresher and see how techniques have changes since I was first taught the presentation by the numbers. Definitely a thumbs up. The fun stuff was right around the corner.

We go the range and don our eyes and ears protection and it is shoot time. We are told to load up all our mags. I had 2 CMC Power 10's and 3 Novak 7's. I figured this would allow me to practice emergenct reloads as well as tactical reloads (which they did discuss in a later lecture).

We did a ten round shoot from 5 yds to guage our accuracy. I had a ragged one hole group. I was firing PMC which seems to work very well for me. Not as much gas as the WWB 230 gr but far more GSR visible to the eye.

After the 10 rd slow fire to guage accuracy. We then went into range commands again. Then we did presentations by the numbers. Good refresher course and the instructors would rotate and critique any problems they could see. My old technique had me sweeping my support hand in the reholster process. My group opened up by still one hole just the hole was getting larger.

We moved the target back to the 21 ft mark and did our presentations by the numbers again. After everyone was up to speed. Presentations were to be done at the "Fire" command.

We then went into tactical and emergency reloads and administrative reloads. Good advice received here as well.

We than went behind the range (into the range itself) and set up into 3 squads and were instructed on firing from the move (fwd, bwd, and laterally) Pretty much lower the transmission and heel toe, but still a good refresher.

This is what we did with different scenarios for the remainder of the class with critiques compelted by supervising instructors.

The last drill was the 21ft closing aggressor drill. Some got to do it from the ready pos (45degree out front) followed by the the same drill from the holster. I did not have such the luxury, they wanted both of my runs to be from the holster. the forst was not bad from the 21ft. Chris (instructor running this particular drill) then put my second run @ the 15ft mark. Damn is that close. I fired 2 from Pos 2 and then sighted in quickly and pumped in around 5 rounds and he just gave me a smile and said well done. We said they could comp me my intermediate course as I did not need to take the basic course, but I am going to take it again on their comp and attend it with my wife as I know she will love it.

If any of you have been thinking about taking a course with ADE, by all means go for it. Very professional outfit with a lot of knowledge thrown in.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Good writeup Andy and it sounds like you had a good time on the firing line. The presentation is important and I am glad for my training so I don't do anything stupid. You must be quick from the holster to catch someone or something coming at you from 21 feet. Good going!!!
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Good Write up and sounds like ya had a good time too

I had a total blast and will be taking their night fire class as well. I can not recommend these guys and gal highly enough.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

1952 - 2006
    Glad you had a great time Andy, and that you were able to deal with PRK without incident.
    Well written critique, reviewing the basics is always good for all of us no matter how much training we have done.
    Great job with the attacker at such short range with so little time.
    Kudos
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Bob, thanks for the compliments. That second moving target closes the distance real quick. I have already been in contact with ADE to take a few more classes. Very professional group and I knwo I will come away with some more knowledge. If nothing else, it allows me to guage my skills and where I stand with my peers and I also get to meet like minded people. I also get to see what techniques are being employed so that I can bring them home and implement them in my own training regimen. I have a friend who is a welder who I am going to have weld me up some target stands so that I can go out into the desert and work on my shooting from movement, as well as tactical reloads at speed.

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Administrator

Sounds Great

"then put my second run @ the 15ft mark. Damn is that close."
    Good Show APachon!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks QK. I am trying to rig up a target stand that can have caster's added to it such that a second person would pull the target at the shooter. That woudl also get one accustom to targets closing distance. That or maybe buy a cheap remote control car and rig up the wheels and gears and see if that route works.

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Administrator

Thumbs up 15'

15' is "move fast" close.
    If you can do 15' then that's fantastic.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QK, I empted a 7 round mag on the 15' and closing BG target and all shots were COM. 3 were dead inside the heart. I was pretty proud of that run. I did shoot pretty well on Saturday though. I ate healthy, and I think a real bed would have me even shooting better as I slept in the back of my truck.

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Links