Disappointing day at the range....sort of.....

This is a discussion on Disappointing day at the range....sort of..... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a disappointing day shooting today. Normally, I shoot 2 or 3 times a week, on the rare occasion, I have gone a week ...

Thread: Disappointing day at the range....sort of.....

VIP Member

I had a disappointing day shooting today. Normally, I shoot 2 or 3 times a week, on the rare occasion, I have gone a week at most. Today was my first range session in just over 2 weeks. I got out of my normal routine for a bunch of reasons that really don't matter here....Now I realize how much practice really means.

My sessions usually begin with one of my carry guns, after that I progress to whatever I'm in the mood to shoot.....well, I didn't shoot anything but my carry gun. I knew I was in trouble when I screwed up my first draw from the holster. The gun which I have put thousands of rounds thru, felt slightly unfamiliar.........from there it got worse, my first magazine had hits all over the target. It then progressed to screwing up my reloads, I missed my first grab at the magazine & almost missed the mag-well because my index finger wasn't indexed on the magazine correctly.

In frustration I stopped right there, I forced myself to relax & ran a few drills unloaded.....ssslllooowwwlllyyy I start to get back to normal
    (or at least some semblance of normal).

I never realized that just a couple of weeks would have such a profound effect on my skills. I'm disappointed it the fact that I can loose so much ground in such a short time. Maybe it's getting older that has attributed to it (....I hope not, I'm still in my 40s..despite the grey hair).

In any case I ended up shooting my carry gun more than I had planned, I had to walk back to the house twice for more ammo.

Moral of the story is: practice, practice, practice. Don't put off shooting til another day, go out today & do it.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO TO PREVENT THIS HAPPENING TO YOURSELVES?

Now I have to go clean the culprit that caused all this (my carry gun).
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    I agree long breaks in practice can let us become more compromized on the skills but - I'll suggest too - even with frequent range/practice days .. for some reason it can still happen that we have an ''off'' day.

From your decribed usual shooting routine I cannot believe you had ''lsot it'' as bad as it seemed - rather than perhaps just not being on top form.

I know I don't shoot exactly same every time and can have odd times when I wonder which toilet my abilities went down
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Even if I cant get out to the range often, I still will do draw, dry fire and reload drills. Its the muscle memory that tends to go first.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ron
    I agree that, for some reason, we can all have an off day at the range, having to do with any one or a number of factors, such as lack of sleep, some major distraction in your life, lack of concentration that day, etc.

The same thing happens to golfers and tennis players. I play a lot of tennis, and one day I may be ready for The U.S. Open, and then the next day, for some inexplicable reason, my game will be way off. It used to really bother me, but now I just accept it as the "nature of the beast."

I don't think that it is likely to happen in a real life situation, because the threat is likely to highly sharpen our senses, particularly with the flow of adrenaline.

Ron

I pratice once a week and I still manage to shoot well. Let me have a bad night of tossing and turning and I'm all over the target the next day. Lack of sleep tends to throw your timing off and the ability to consentrate.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sixto nailed it , You dont have to go to the range weekly to maintain skills . You can easily and safely do a fiew " reps " at home to keep your draw, reload , and even trigger pull muscle memory in tune . 10 to 15 min a day of work on the fundimentals at home will pay off if you miss a range session or two , or even if you dont .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Even if I cant get out to the range often, I still will do draw, dry fire and reload drills. Its the muscle memory that tends to go first.
    I agree with this. I do it in my basement.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

That is 100% true.....practice the draws and the mag change the aim will come to you automatically specially when the adrenalin kicks in....
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Chances are you were still shooting better/quicker than required for solving a situation at the ranges where such usually occur.

The worst thing about long breaks in practice is all the fun you missed.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO TO PREVENT THIS HAPPENING TO YOURSELVES?
    Lots of dry-firing, drawing/reholstering and target-acquisition drills when I'm not at an actual range. It's not quite the same, but for me it dramatically reduces the dip in skills by maintaining familiarity.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsored Links