slow-fire low and right, spot on when fast..

This is a discussion on slow-fire low and right, spot on when fast.. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So its been a couple months since I've been out shooting(too cold and I just got my membership at the outdoor club today). As I ...

So its been a couple months since I've been out shooting(too cold and I just got my membership at the outdoor club today). As I shot I noticed I was consistantly a few inches to the right and low a few inches. I started getting a bit frustrated when I couldn't correct, and was close to dark anyhow so I figured I'd just blow some rounds and call it a day. The range has 5 bowling pins hanging, and I could consistantly just point and pull the trigger, pretty much without aiming and hit. Making a game of keeping all 5 swinging at once was pretty fun, but *** is going on?

Low and right indicates tightening your grip while pulling the trigger. Since it doesn't happen during rapid fire, I'd have to guess that during slow fire, you have extra time to overthink the shot and tighten up in anticipation of the shot breaking.

During slow fire you may relax your grip and then tighten it while you pull the trigger causing shots low and to the right. But during rapid fire you probable start off with a tighter grip "crush grip" that is less likely to tighten as you pull the trigger because your fingers are already close to as tight as they can get.

Without holding the gun, relax all of your fingers and try to move only the index finger. You'll see that all of your fingers move some. Then tighten your hand and try it again. You'll see much less movement in your other fingers.

This also helps with weapon retention, having a tight grip helps you maintain the gun if someone tries to grab it or knock it out of your hands.

left handed?

dont wrap your thumb - keep the thumb off the gun, see if that helps. if so, practice like that, your hand will grow to know it doesnt need that extra support and automatically relax it.

Links