Selecting a shooting school

This is a discussion on Selecting a shooting school within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many know here i am somewhat adamate on firearms training , Training outside the accepted norms is ok , and eventualy if enough do ...

Thread: Selecting a shooting school

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

Selecting a shooting school

As many know here i am somewhat adamate on firearms training , Training outside the accepted norms is ok , and eventualy if enough do then that is the accepted norm , but we should carefully think thro who we train with as well as what they teach ... The LawDog summed it up better than i can here http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2...on-honour.html And if your one of the three folks who dont know and read lawdog , brace yourselves for a truely great editorial experiance .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Thanks for posting Redneck Repairs. It was a great read.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Ron
    Thanks, Redneck Repairs. Scary post, but I have found that fear is often a great motivator. In this case, of course, the motivation is to pay close attention to what LawDog wrote, and to heed his advice.

Ron

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ron and folks , My aim is not to scare anyone , My aim is to get everyone to evaluate training before they go . I for one am a " Front sight " shooter in that i like aimed fire . Some schools of unaimed fire tell you that this is all you need , None of the instructors of unaimed fire that are members here say that crap ( or if they do not that i know of) . Unaimed fire is a great tool to have , and have been trained on , but not before you have the basics . Just as an illistration , There are many instructors of both aimed and unaimed fire out there that i would pay to stay off my defense team . Before you drop 200+ on a school tho check it out , check out the instructor and his claims , its not the 200 its what it costs in court . The like of the instructors we have of this date on this board tho i would be happy to have show up , and i speak specificly to azqker ( brownie ) and sweatin . I feel that occationaly they over stress the advantages of thier methods , but you know what so do the guys who basicly say you cannot fire unless you have a stable sight pic .

Remember , if you have to put a VCA down , then a jury will have all the time in the world to not only pick apart what you did on the street , but how you came to do it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Remember , if you have to put a VCA down , then a jury will have all the time in the world to not only pick apart what you did on the street , but how you came to do it .
    That is a great point. We will usually have to make a split second decision whether to use deadly force. The jury, on the other hand, will have the luxury of being able to sit back, and using hindsight decide whether the shooting was justified. A very good reason to have all of our ducks in as much order as possible.

Ron

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Wow, I am sure glad that I have never trained with any instructors that have made such damaging statement as "tampering with evidence" or to "assasinate the perp after you have stopped the threat."

If I did I would get up and walk out in the middle of the course.
    Last edited by Sweatnbullets; March 22nd, 2007 at 01:25 AM.

Sponsor
    Redneck Repairs;

The blog stated pretty clearly that which any student should consider when choosing an instructor IMO.

I appreciate the vote of confidence sir.

Thanks

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Lawdog is always good stuff i havent read it in awhile thanks for the link to remind me

Nice reminder, good read, great advice.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Reaffirms my choice of instructors, and makes me glad I skipped a class with another instructor.

Thanks for the post,
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Good Info...

Thanks for the link...now in my favorites!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

New Member Array TheLawDogFiles's Avatar
    You're welcome.

LawDog

Links