Review: Rovatec Bullite Laser Training System

This is a discussion on Review: Rovatec Bullite Laser Training System within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a little item I bought at the SHOT Show and just received last week. It is a laser contained within a bullet sized (a ...

Thread: Review: Rovatec Bullite Laser Training System

DC Founder

Review: Rovatec Bullite Laser Training System

Here's a little item I bought at the SHOT Show and just received last week. It is a laser contained within a bullet sized (a bit larger actually) aluminum case. It chambers just like a real round. Open the slide, drop the Bullite in and close the slide. At this point every time the firing pin strikes a rubber actuator in the primer location on the Bullite, it fires a laser pulse. But, for safety sake they have included a aluminum rod a plastic extendor and an orange anodized, knurled aluminum safety nut that threads to the Bullite keeping it perfectly aligned with the end of the barrel. This safety nut serves as a safety reminder that the Bullite is in place and, more importantly, not loaded with live ammunition. It takes less than a minute to install it and the laser strikes at POA from 7 to approximately 21 feet. I haven't tried it over that distance.

Included in the package is a multimedia presentation of training drills on CD, a manual explaining what is included, safety instructions, an illustrated and condensed version of the drills contained on the CD, the Bullite, extenders and the orange safety nut and six targets. The targets are a highly reflective discs that have target overprinting. The whole system is packed in a small metal box a bit bigger than a pack of cigarettes (not including the manual). The battery in the Bullite is guaranteed to last up to 10,000 firings, which interestingly enough is incremented on a chip inside the unit. After the unit is expended I guess it is a worthless piece of aluminum since the battery cannot be replaced.

When I received the unit I installed it (without even opening the instruction manual), peeled part of the adhesive backing off of 3 of the targets to stick them all over the entertainment system in my bedroom and comenced firing. Initially no drills, just shooting gallery type shots. After a few of those to figure out the basics of the system, I started practicing drawing from my holster and point shooting. About that time, my wife came in and made a comment about "boys and their toys" so after a bit of coaxing I got her to try it. I felt like a kid that was simply showing a new toy and having them walk off with it like it was a gift. After about 100 firings incremented on the Bullite's internal chip, she gave it back to me. My turn again, I resumed doing more informal point shooting drills. The more I fired it, the better I got and after approximately 200-250 "rounds" (estimate) I went from approximately 40% on target to about 70%. Over a period of 3 nights practice I can get about 80% on target at approximately 5 yards. Tomorrow I plan on doing repetitions of their structured defensive drills.

I have to tell you, this item is fun. Unlike the BeamHit, you do not have a device registering your hits and misses, which would be helpful, but neither do you have anything hanging out of your barrel to restrict drawing from a holster. I had some concerns (before I received the unit) that it might be difficult to actually see where your laser dot struck but that is really not a problem with this system. The 10ms pulse allows you time to register the strike. Only when my wife was hitting the glass doors of the entertainment center was it difficult to see where the strike was.

In normal light, Rovatec claims the Bullite is visible up to 15 meters (likely). In darkness it is visible up to 274 meters. I don't know about this claim since my eyes are not that good and the dot is visible from this laser, a laser beam (line) is not seen.

What I don't like about it is that with a 1911 you have to rack the slide between each firing which will wear you out after awhile. I don't cock the hammer without racking the slide on a 1911 which is another reason to install the extender and the safety nut to the Bullite. Racking the slide can allow the Bullite to move out (read fall) of the chamber. Double action use would be a hoot.

In summary, this little item, originally invented by the Israeli military, is fun and, I believe, could be a valuable addition to anyone training regimen. I have temporarily installed it in my Kimber TLE II for practice and plan on leaving it there for awhile. I spend quite a bit of time shooting the wall of my office at night and I can definitely see an improvement. I look forward to getting into the drills.

If you decide you want one, be prepared to wait a while to get it. It comes FedEx from Jerusalem. The price was $149 +18.95 shipping at the SHOT Show which was a $20 discount. You can find their website in the "Links" area of CombatCarry.com or take this link to Rovatek.
    Attached Images
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up I was waiting for your review.

Thanks Much Bumper.
    That looks great & their web site has some amazing computer graphics.
    You are already hitting very well at 80% at 15' with (I'm best guessing) 3" reflective targets & probably not missing by much on the remaining missed 20%. Are you able to easily see the "misses" off of the reflective target?
    My one main concern when you first talked about it (after you saw it at the show) was if the "hit" would last long enough for the shooter to tell exactly where it was hitting.
    You'll probably be hitting every time soon & then you'll need to figure out a way to get those little reflective targets scooting around the room!
    I'm going to spring for one. I'll bet that would be a pretty neat toy in a DAO Glock.

One bit of extra good news...I found this on their web site...so it looks like you are not S.O.L. even after 10,000 uses!!
    Bullite's high-efficiency silver oxide batteries will function optimally for at least one year or 10,000 "shot" pulses prior to requiring a battery change or maintenance.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    My one main concern when you first talked about it (after you saw it at the show) was if the "hit" would last long enough for the shooter to tell exactly where it was hitting.
    You can as long as you choose a medium to light background. Light colored wood or wall is fine. It sorta disappears on dark shades, glass, smoked plastic or something like that. When I don't have the targets set up I fire it at a bright brass doorknob which works almost better than the target.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    One bit of extra good news...I found this on their web site...so it looks like you are not S.O.L. even after 10,000 uses!!
    Bullite's high-efficiency silver oxide batteries will function optimally for at least one year or 10,000 "shot" pulses prior to requiring a battery change or maintenance.
    Oh, cool, I just finished the manual and you're right. There is a telephone number there to call for information on getting the batteries replaced. If you attempt to open the unit your warranty is void. Also, the rep at the show said that they were actually designed to go well over the 10,000 they advertise but that number was a good "minimum.
    Bumper

Bumper,

If you have the extender/safety nut installed, can you then rack the slide without the Bullite unit falling out or being ejected?

Thanks,

SSKC

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by SSKC
    Bumper,

If you have the extender/safety nut installed, can you then rack the slide without the Bullite unit falling out or being ejected?

Thanks,

SSKC
    ON a 1911, yes, the safety nut is just a bit larger than the barrel diameter and the extender is completely contained inside the barrel. Fun item to practice with. :fing02:
    Bumper

Links