How do you train with a shoulder rig?

This is a discussion on How do you train with a shoulder rig? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm usually a strong side hip guy, but I'm considering a shoulder rig for those occasions when I spend a lot of time driving. For ...

Thread: How do you train with a shoulder rig?

How do you train with a shoulder rig?

I'm usually a strong side hip guy, but I'm considering a shoulder rig for those occasions when I spend a lot of time driving. For those of you with shoulder holster experience, how do you train with it? Most ranges and schools that I've checked into expressly forbid use of a shoulder rig. Do you just draw and dry fire, or go to an isolated place to draw and shoot, or what?

Thanks.

SSKC

2. Remove Ads

Hey, SSKC
    I'm sure others here will offer better advice, but here is what I worked on when I began to use a sh for driving. Empty pistol, or better yet- a blue gun. Work seated and with the seatbelt on. BTW, do all this in a parked car, huh? No need to get overly realistic just yet! I wear my sh rather low, due to my build and comfort level. It sits low enough that when seated, the bottom of the pistol's grip rests comfortably on my thigh. I worked mainly on grasping the pistol and releasing it, while mainting the other hand on the wheel and eyes focusing on an object (percieved threat) ahead. Ya gotta keep yer hand on the wheel cause a good draw will do you no good wrapped around a phone pole. Also, keep the muzzle pointed safe (your choice-all the way across your torso pointed at the door and down, or straight ahead at the dash) direction. Just not at your legs, package, or passengers. Then, as the situation dictates, get the car stopped, reach UNDER gun arm, and release seatbelt with non gun hand. Bring nongunhand back UNDER gun arm and pop door and use vehicle for cover/concealment. All the while, muzzle awareness is top priority. Or, keep driving and attempt to escape / evade.
    Using a sh is pretty much like any other rig as far as practice. Dry fire runs will get the gun out, live fire for the other skills. Put them together when you can.
    Hope this has helped a little.

Dan

Assistant Administrator
    Haven't used my Bianchi X-15 in some while but - did for a few months use it exclusively thru a winter.

Most practice was empty gun, dry fire - but I am lucky and have a range close by which is often empty - and so plenty of live fire drills too. Draw in truck was always easy - probably best of any rig I must say.

I did find tho despite comfort level being quite high - it did add to a neck/shoulder problem a bit - got achy - and I carry all waking hours.

Now stick almost exclusively to 3 o'clock OWB.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

It's Tough

It IS tough to find a place to train live fire with a shoulder rig.
    I suspect that is why they are not more popular because they are a great way to actually carry your firearm.
    I practice my draw inside with an unloaded firearm & on my own property live fire. You really need to find a place to go shoot with nothing around.
    I love shoulder carry but I am well practiced.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

SSKC, take a peak at Sam Andrews Carjacker holster for a rig designed specifically for driving.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    SSKC, take a peak at Sam Andrews Carjacker holster for a rig designed specifically for driving.
    Looks interesting, but I wonder how it would work for general concealed carry outside the car. I'd like something that works for both (in and out of vehicle). I've never worn a shoulder rig, but the Monarch looks like it should work real well.

SSKC

Links