need real world training

need real world training

This is a discussion on need real world training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello to all, I'm in the army, one deployment under my belt oif3(home safely thank the lord), and my pledge to myself was to get ...

Thread: need real world training

Smile need real world training

hello to all, I'm in the army, one deployment under my belt oif3(home safely thank the lord), and my pledge to myself was to get real handgun training upon my return, i have a glock 21 sf, and glock 30 , im pretty educated about firearms i am a gun nut,hahaha, and i do alot of research, here,the high road and on glocktalk, but i need to enroll my self,and maybe my wife, in some form of formal shooting instruction, not a rich man, but i hold the protection of my family's life and my own life in high regard, i want to get good training, no real schools in OK from what i have seen, so can you all help thanks and god bless hooah.

VIP Member
    There several ways to do that. First I'd reccomend NRA's basic training classes (specially safe fireams handling) and then start searching for a school or trainer for more advanced stuff. You may also join a local IDPA club which will give you a basic defensive shooting.
    One thing you will find out once you start is that you will never finish. The more you learn, the more you realize you need more training.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Most gun store and/or range employees can steer you to good local self defensive gun training. Also, many private shooting clubs have members who are certified instructors.

Take a look at courses offered by the following people/companies. They have a variety of classes throughout the US so there'll probably be one close to you at some point.

Gabe Suarez http://www.suarezinternational.com/tech.html

James Yeager (Tactical Response) http://www.tacticalresponse.com/

"SouthNarc" www.shivworks.com or www.totalprotectioninteractive.com
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

As you have active military experience, I would guess you already know much of what you would get from a basic NRA class, and can impart this information to your wife.

I would suspect you are specifically interested in learning shooting skills specific to self defense and how to apply these skills to the situations you may find yourself in. This is much different from general firearms competency and even different from the competition skills needed for IDPA and IPSC. Many of the competition skills transfer well, but some of the techniques used in competition might get you killed in a defensive situation.

As I see it you have three general options in obtaining training. From least expensive to most expensive these are, find a good, competent local trainer, find a nationally known trainer who “takes his show on the road,” or travel to one of the nationally known defensive shooting schools.

The first option, as jofrdo mentioned, is to canvas the local shooting clubs and ranges and ask them if they have or know of a local trainer who conducts classes in defensive shooting techniques. It’s important that you clarify you are looking specifically for someone who teaches self defense using a handgun, or you may end up in a general firearms class or one focused on competition shooting.

The second option is to find a nationally known trainer who will be traveling to a location near you. Gabe Suarez (http://suarezinternational.com/) and John Farnam (http://www.defense-training.com/) come to mind. Unfortunately, the schedules they have posted online don’t show any classes in your area anytime soon.

The third option is to travel to one of the nationally known schools such as Gunsite (http://www.gunsite.com/), Thunder Ranch (http://www.thunderranchinc.com/), or Valhalla (http://www.valhallashootingclub.com/). These, and others, offer courses focused specifically on using firearms defensively.

I have personal experience with Gunsite, as I attended their 250 pistol class a couple of years ago and can highly recommend it. Incidentally, the fellow who most often occupied the shooting station next to me was an armored cavalry captain who was training on his own dime for redeployment to the sandbox. A couple of the other students were private contractors getting ready to go overseas. These were medical folks who had been advised by their employer to be armed once they were on site and have the skills needed to employ their arms. Gunsite has an onsite campground with very good shower, cooking, and laundry facilities. If you use the campground, it can help offset lodging expenses.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

VIP Member
    Well, under your name it says you are in Oklahoma. That being the case, you should check out the US Shooting Academy in Tulsa. They have some great trainers, their prices are reasonable, and have a great range. (USPSA Nationals held there last year, I think more will be this year.)
    http://www.usshootingacademy.com

If you are interested in shooting IDPA of USPSA check out the forum at http://www.okshooters.com just about all of the competitions in the state are listed there, and it is a pretty good time as well.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I second a vote for John Farnam at http://www.defense-training.com . John is not the " sexy" trainer of the moment , but he most likely is sponsered by more departmental firearms trainers than all the rest . He will teach you how to come home alive , be it from the sandbox , or the inner city .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I second a vote for John Farnam at http://www.defense-training.com .
    I don't have any personal experience with him, but I know Farnam does a fair bit of training for people preparing to deploy to the sandbox, so he may be able to offer some more specific suggestions about self defense over there than other trainers. Beyond that, his writing (both in books and online) is pretty insightful.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    John Farnam is likely the most moral man i have ever met . I had opportunity once to train with him . I was an nra certed police firearms instructor at the time , and chose to take the class for free as an " audit " I now wish as i did then that i could have paid for it out of pocket because what i learned was more than worth the price . As stated he is not the " sexy " instructor of the moment , but then he does not want to be either lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    If you want an accurate assessment of what Gunsite is like, click the link in my sig. Gives a 5-day account of their 250 pistol class without giving anything away.

Other than that - Gunsite is the only school I have been to. I can't give any comparisons, so take that into account.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    No doubt about it, Farnam is a great guy. I've never trained with him, but have taken a class from one of his trainers in Oklahoma City. I'd like to take one of the man's classes before he hangs it up.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

When choosing a trainer there are several things to look at, look at who the trainers are recommending. If I had to pick one class to go to right now I would go to my own lol, kidding. I would go to a South Narc Class or Tactical Response in Camden Tenn. As many times as I have trained with and hosted South Narc you will get more bang for your buck than the big named week long gun schools. Not saying they are not a valid choice, but SN is not your typical gun class. He is coming to Tulsa this year, check out his web site at www.shivworks.com.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Sponsored Links