Looking into defensive pistol courses, question about ammo

This is a discussion on Looking into defensive pistol courses, question about ammo within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of the pistol courses I've researched, at Gunsite, and many other locations, require at least a box or three of frangible ammo. I assume ...

Thread: Looking into defensive pistol courses, question about ammo

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Question Looking into defensive pistol courses, question about ammo

Some of the pistol courses I've researched, at Gunsite, and many other locations, require at least a box or three of frangible ammo. I assume this is for use in their shoot houses or on steel at close range. Can anyone who has participated in one of these classes expand on this a little? I'm mostly wondering what brand you shot, what the school recommended, and what you used for your primary ammo.

For example, I carry 155gr Hornady TAP (.40 S&W), and practice with 155gr Speer FMJ. Would this be appropriate for the majority of the range time, i.e. the 400 or so recommended rounds?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

None of the ranges I use have restrictions on handgun ammo.

I don't really care for people to use their own reloads or even remanufactured ammo. In my experience, there have been too many problems (stoppages and other events leading to down time) created by them.

Stick with something that has the same 'feel' as your duty or carry ammo and the same point of impact for training.

Randy

Much of the last two days of Gunsite’s 250 pistol class are spent in shoot-house exercises. The target frames used in shoot houses usually consist of a 2x4 frame with a cardboard or paper target on the front and a steel plate on the back.

Frangible ammo is used so the bullet will disintegrate when it hits the steel. If you use conventional ammunition on these steel-backed targets, you run a significant risk of getting hit by the back splatter conventional bullets create when they hit a flat, steel surface.

Frangible bullets are made from a compressed metallic dust contained within a thin jacket. When they hit a hard surface, they disintegrate into particles that are small enough to be practically harmless.

When I took the 250 class a couple of years ago, I purchased the frangible ammo I needed at the Gunsite Pro Shop. They stock all the ammo and accessories you need for their classes in the pro shop. The frangible ammo they carried at the time was made by Remington.

My carry ammo is .45 ACP, 230-grain Hydroshocks, and the frangibles I shot at Gunsite were 230-grains, as well. Both shot to the same point of impact at the ranges used in the exercises.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

I've participated in many training courses, including LFI and others. Generally speaking, as suggested above, it's the target equipment/layout (ie, "shoot" house, steel targets) that dictates ammo selection. Otherwise, there just tends to be a general rule against handloads. Most places that have special requirements, such as frangibles, should have some for sale on-site. Check with the facility ahead of time, to be sure.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I was mostly concerned about the availability of frangible rounds - and the price. Most of the dealers I've seen online are showing almost $30 per 50 for .40 S&W. Yikes!

I just thought I’d mention, I shot about 1300 rounds of reloads during my 250 class at Gunsite. At the Alumni shoot a year later, I shot reloads again. I didn’t make a secret of the fact I was shooting reloads, they were in the plastic boxes most of us reloaders use. Nobody raised any objections either time.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

If you can find them Winchester Ranger line of frangy is good stuff and should work well in a good handgun. I took a class at the Ga. Public Safety Training Center and we shot thousands of these thru our G22's and G17's with no problems at all. Granted they may not be cheap, but if you are going to shell out a couple grand to attend a class the last thing you want is to cut corners on ammo and end up making the class miserable for you and everyone else waiting for you to get your gun going because of a few dollars.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Links