A Shot in dark

A Shot in dark

This is a discussion on A Shot in dark within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is very dark, the object becomes visable for an instant as car lights flash through the window, you squeeze the trigger bam your ears ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Shot in dark

A Shot in dark

It is very dark, the object becomes visable for an instant as car lights flash through the window, you squeeze the trigger bam your ears are ringing and won't stop for awhile. At this point you cannot see anything, the blinding flash from the .45 gives you major problems finding your way. The question is with all the training or experience in shooting in the dark, not twilight but dark how do you protect recovering your sight quickly. What is the technique??? Have you actually experienced this and do you train for it.
    Thanks guys, hope this is a good thread.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    As for any problem, secure the solution long before the drama begins.

I carry an E1e SureFire with me at all times. It sits in the bottom of my right front blue-jeans pocket and the A123 battery lasts for 10 years in 'storage.'

(I test periodically anyway.)

'Dark' is at least 40% of the day. However most of the bad guys operate at night to cover their activities. I've read in gun magazines that most of the exchanges with police officers happen in no/low light situations.

If the bad guy wants dark, then I want a SureFire.

I'm with The Tourist on this one. I own a Surefire for each pistol.

Aw, come on guys your changing the parameters I initially set to answer some other situation, please read the conditions at the time the gun is fired. smile
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Have you ever actually fired a pistol in the dark? A .45 actually has little muzzle flash (real ammo, not movie blanks), and it will not interfere with your vision. We train in night fire every week here and muzzle flash is just not a problem with most service type handguns.
    www.rangemaster.com
    Training for the real world.

Having run 'night shoots' for many years, the only time 'muzzle flash' was a problem was when one of the guys use a .223 derringer. Anyone carry one???

Shot for many years sans ear protection ...yes I say huh a lot.... but the noise never bothered my orientation.

My answer would be to make a mental note 'carry Streamlight Scorpion all the time'.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

What you're posing is the no-win question (Kobayashi Maru) the Star Trek cadets were subjected to.

No one ever won until one cheated. That's my point.

I won't ever play by the rules. The guy knows karate, I take that away from him and either shoot him or hit him with a chair. A guy has a gun, I ensconce myself and shoot him in an ambush. At the beach, I'll drown him.

Basically it's "Cut him if he stands, shoot him if he runs."

In this scenario, the bad guy wants dark. I won't give it to him, and I carry light wherever I go.

How do you think I became a 55 year old biker? Oat bran?

No I haven't Tom, appreciate the good input it should help others also, thanks KC135 the carry a light tip is what the other guys also gave as an input. My hearing is shot I suppose after years of being in places that will ruin it.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

DC Founder
    One thing I would do is immediately move and make a little lower profile. If I had my flashlight I would put it on him and resume shooting until the threat was over. Not only is muzzle flash in a dark room not a real problem (bigger problem to him I would say) the noise is not going to be a problem to you, either. I have witnessed firsthand the drastic slowing down of time during an incident (did not turn into an actual shooting). In accounts of actual shooting situations, many people report not hearing the shot(s). Flashlights are good, if you don't have a flashlight you better be moving. You better be moving anyway....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Red face

Since we're mostly in agreement that muzzle flash isn't going to bother your night vision....change it up a bit and assume that some bozo driving with his brights on happens to zap ya while you're in a "dark" area.

Night vision tends to worsen with age, and I've found that mine takes anywhere from 2 to 4 minutes to adjust in total darkness. That can seem a lifetime in a dire situation.

Would agree with Bumper about moving immediately and making a low profile. If there isn't anything to get behind, I'd certainly hit the deck and hope that my poor hearing would pick up noise as my eyes were readjusting. I sometimes carry a Surefire light but not always.

VIP Member
    Simple solution. Just keep firing. It will be a strobe light effect, and you'll be able to see ok.

Ok, maybe I need a little

I was taught to close the firing eye as I was squeezing off the shot. I've only fired rifles and shotguns in the "dark". Handguns in lowlight. Handguns posed no problem. Rifle and shotguns would give me some problems until my eyes recovered so the eye closing trick seemed to work ok.

-Scott-

Administrator

Flash

I've tested Speer in .45 at night & the muzzle flash is quite low.
    Just FYI

Lead Moderator
    I use surefire lights too. Also moving and stobing the light will throw off your opponent. Harder for em to get a fix on ya , and you can possibly blind with the light. Muzzle flash doesn't seem that bad to me.

Assistant Administrator
    OK, repeat I know LOL ... but don't use this combo in the dark!! The Win 240 grain ''whimp'' loads!

45 - seriously - I would like many try to have my E1e at hand - it lives on my belt. But if no chance for that then I would hope for much more of the dull ''orange'' flash and so not excessive or total loss of night vision plus - yes, adopt lower position and/or move to side etc. Just don't stay a static target.

All this of course has to taken with the somewhat reduced thinking time of an incident - over in very few seconds!
    Last edited by P95Carry; March 27th, 2005 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Helps if I use right tags .. duh!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My answer to the scenario still stands.

Chances are that the participants of this forum take safety, security and firearms safely. I'll bet that most of send tens of thousands of practice rounds down-range.

We should know by now that we might be disoriented. We should know the traps aggressors try to pull us into. We should walk in 'condition yellow.'

And if we carry a handgun we should have a spare reload and a flashlight with us.

If we do not have these items or we are too incapacitated to engage, then our objective is not to press an attact or choose 'the next best plan.'

The objective then is to back up (run, drive, fly, jump) out of the scenario. Now, once out, it is not your call at any level. Any level.

Once safe, call the Federales. We are not sworn officers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links