About As Concise As I Can Get

This is a discussion on About As Concise As I Can Get within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had someone ask me how you point shoot with a rifle recently. So instead of running down a bunch of techniques, I just explained ...

Thread: About As Concise As I Can Get

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar

I had someone ask me how you point shoot with a rifle recently. So instead of running down a bunch of techniques, I just explained the concept of point shooting. As Matt Temkin recently pointed out, point shooting is not so much a bunch of techniques, as it is a simple fluid concept.

This is about as concise as I get, while still explaining exactly what is done. The more that I think about it the more that I like it. Here is what I wrote.

Point shooting with a long arm is the exact same concept of point shooting with a handgun. The basics, all comes down to basic geometry. The advanced application, all comes down to hand/eye coordination that is the bi-product of the basic geometry.

Basic Geometry

Squaring up to the threat

Shooting from your centerline

Gun parallel to the ground

These three things are virtually fool proof. It is almost impossible to miss when these three basic geometry points come together. This is why people are able to point shoot the very first time that they do it.....when taught correctly.

But this is stance and grip dependent and does not bring out the real benefits of point shooting

Advanced Application

Is simply the hand/eye coordination that is a bi-product of the basic geometry.

The centerline is replaced by the visual centerline. Meaning that where ever you look, if the gun is on your visual centerline, you have taken care of the "squaring up" and the "centerline" portion of the basic geometry. The vertical alignment is now taken care of.

This leaves the horizontal alignment. The "parallel to the ground" is your "default." Hand/eye coordination is now a bi-product off of this known "default."

Just focus on the desired point of impact and your mind, eyes, and body will make the adjustments to get the hits.

It really is that simple!

This covers from line of sight all the way to "from the hip".....and everything in between.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Sounds exactly like wingshooting.

A shotgun used to shoot a flying object is not aimed like a pistol or a rifle. In fact, 100% of your focus is on the target. Proper technique and gun fit make the apparently impossible possible.

Not a big secret to those of us who are avid shotgunners as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    Sounds exactly like wingshooting.

A shotgun used to shoot a flying object is not aimed like a pistol or a rifle. In fact, 100% of your focus is on the target. Proper technique and gun fit make the apparently impossible possible.

Not a big secret to those of us who are avid shotgunners as well.

It is exactly like wing shooting!

Nope, not a secret at all and absolutely nothing new. People just need to allow themselves to see what an amazing thing the human machine is.

These simple concepts work for a shotgun, a handgun, and a rifle. Same exact simple concepts all the way across the board.

That fairly sums it up Roger. I describe it that way myself, like using a shotgun, pointing/aiming but not finely sighting.
    Take Care and Stay Safe,
    Ken

NRA Member
    Administrator Integrated Close Combat Forum

REMEMBER What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!

Senior Moderator
    Whooaaa - I didn't know you could do concise - LOL! Well done Roger - just kiddin' with ya.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Whooaaa - I didn't know you could do concise - LOL! Well done Roger - just kiddin' with ya.
    Niether did I.....I guess it has just been beaten into me over the years.

Links