Did some tinkering!!!

Did some tinkering!!!

This is a discussion on Did some tinkering!!! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got out the welder and did me up some target stands. They work awesome and they have helped out in the training of my wife ...

Thread: Did some tinkering!!!

Did some tinkering!!!

Got out the welder and did me up some target stands. They work awesome and they have helped out in the training of my wife in Close and intermediate range engagements as well as multiples. I am thinking of a way to make them mobile as static targets still leaves something to be desired. Does anyone have any ideas. I was thinking of butchering up a Remote control car and seeing if I can engineer some sort of rig to move so that one could engage a moving BG target while on the move.

~A

Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

I still need to shoot them with rust preventative primer and flat black paint.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Nice!

As a kid I did once build a "robot" as a scout project using a remote control car chassis as the base. It took a modestly expensive RC car, but I got it, stripped the plastic body off, and across the plastic frame I mounted a pair of 2x2 strips cut to I'd like to say 6 or 8 inches wide. I built my "robot" on this frame.

The body of my "robot" was a tall plastic kitchen garbage can which I spraypainted a flat black so it looked like some space age junk. I then fashioned a "head" and "Arms" for it. It made something roughly human sized albeit only 5 feet tall. I'd imagine you could rig up a much more dignfied stand and simply mount a paper target on it. The RC car made it able to move quick, and now that I think about it, it would be very challenging to have someone drive this thing around like it was trying to kill you while you tried to shoot it...

DC Founder
    I need to either make or buy some target stands and find me a good place in the desert to do some "not allowed on a range" stuff. Nice looking stands!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thanks Euclidean. I was thinking of the RC route as well and maybe going the track route instead of tires as it would conquer desert terrain much easier.

Bumper, I stopped by my local steel house and bought scraps and had them cut them to my specs. I used angle steel and it was a breeze to do up. If you want the schematics just holler.

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

The target stands I made are PVC pipe 1 1/4 (I think) which allows 1X1 to fit inside, I don't have any bracing between the 2 sections so I can use any width target (deer/antelope when getting ready for a hunt). The section that lays on the ground is about 3 1/2 feet long with a "T" in the middle and caped at both ends and filled half full of cement for weight, the vertical section is 1 foot high, and target frames made like APachon's.

PVC pipe is easy to work with, readily available, cheap and doesn't require any special equipment, just a hacksaw and a can of glue, sand or cement for weight, and you WILL need to weight them or the wind will blow them over.

Assistant Administrator
    Nice job Apachon .......... let me throw in this small fun item.

It is now well shot up but survives.! Pretty much welded up from scrap - channel, plate, angle etc. The hub I turned down in lathe so as to reduce dia of top for hammering in to ground, and main ''paddle'' assembly sits on a washer when assembled. There is always one paddle showing.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95, now that is sweet. I am thinking up something to do for a lil drag racing. I am also thinking of how to make a mobile target out of the stands I welded up.

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Good looking stands Andy and P95

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    Thanks Euclidean. I was thinking of the RC route as well and maybe going the track route instead of tires as it would conquer desert terrain much easier.

~A
    It's been a long time since I had an RC car but I do remember the ones with the tracks were mostly worthless. They ran well for a while but invetiably the tracks always started to fall off.

Radio Shack used to make one that had 6 tires that worked very well for my project. It was more stable and didn't fall apart like the ones with treads did.

Remember RC cars are toys designed to fall apart.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Nice job Apachon .......... let me throw in this small fun item.
    That's pretty cool, too. I guess I couldn't glue that up from PVC, huh? And PVC is probably the route I would have to go since I don't have a welding rig laying my place.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    where'd you get your shilouette targets? I want.

Friend of a friend...

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Maybe you're comparing apples to oranges. Keep your static target frames for what they are. I just completed a POST instructors class and they showed us a cheap way to build a mover and a charger, using bailing wire and string. They worked very well, don't take up a lot of space and are cheap. Maybe $30. You will have to build a carrier that will slide on the wire, and have two forming stakes pounded into the berm. A tensioner will help keep the wire tight. Use twine to pull the target. The charger is very fast and will definitely get your attention. Put a few static targets in there just to kick it up a notch, especially no shoots. Remember the KISS principle, save the money and buy a new blaster. Hope this works for you.
    T.A.P.S.
    Tactics-Accuracy-Power-Speed

Links