Anyone Been To Lethal Force Institute?

This is a discussion on Anyone Been To Lethal Force Institute? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bill MO My biggest thing with Mas is he gets you to thinking more about legalities than using lethal force while you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Anyone Been To Lethal Force Institute?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    My biggest thing with Mas is he gets you to thinking more about legalities than using lethal force while you are in the fight.

Yes you need to know what is legal in the state you are in. But when you are in the fight for your life is not the time to be thinking about what some DA is going to do after you hopefully come out alive. 2nd guessing your action we get you killed and you have to be alive to worry about what happen afterwards.
    That is what I to have heard from people who have studied with him The trouble is if you worry to much you will hesitate. Then a good chance you will pay with your life.
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
    John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

Re: Anyone Been To Lethal Force Institute?

Quote Originally Posted by lostone1413 View Post
    That is what I to have heard from people who have studied with him The trouble is if you worry to much you will hesitate. Then a good chance you will pay with your life.
    It would be smart to give pause when drawing your weapon - but don't pause too long.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    It would be smart to give pause when drawing your weapon - but don't pause too long.
    Knew one guy who has been in a few gun fights. He was asked when is the best time to go gun. He told the guy you will know. But when you go gun never hesitate to use the gun. That is the best advice you can get in my book
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
    John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    When a life-or-death situation exists, why pause??

Or, did you mean one must be certain it's necessary?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lostone1413 View Post
    Nothing in the class training or the information provided will cause you to hesitate when lethal force is indeed a requirement to defend you or your loved ones! However if you don't know when you're legally clear to use deadly force, makes anyone who carries a loose canon. Does the assailant(s) meet the AOJ standard and are your actions inline with or meet the "reasonable person" standard! When can you shoot a unarmed assailant(s)? etc.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    My biggest thing with Mas is he gets you to thinking more about legalities than using lethal force while you are in the fight..

I respectfully disagree. Mas gets you to think about those things in advance, so if the time comes when you absolutely need to employ deadly physical force, you won't hesitate.

FYI, all - while the Lethal Force Institute may still exist as a business entity in some form, Mas Ayoob is no longer affiliated with it. His current courses (quite similar to a number of the old LFI courses) are now offered through the Massad Ayoob Group.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I will agree I know nothing of Mas other than what I hear and read, mainly in my Handgun Combat mag, but from those articles he seem to be wanting you to be thinking about all the "I" and "T" while in the gunfight. Myself all I want to be thinking about while in the gunfight is putting little round holes where they need to be.

For me what I need to know is there is a threat facing me and it has reached the point I need to stop (kill it). Therefore my sig line. You don't shoot them in the back nor do you chase them down the street and you don't put them out of their misery.

Know the laws in your state, once the situation has reached the point of no return then think only of the fight. Not the what if's. Because some DA is going to question what you do no matter how you do it. That's his job or at least he thinks it is, because "MY GOD" you used a gun.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Re: Anyone Been To Lethal Force Institute?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    When a life-or-death situation exists, why pause??

Or, did you mean one must be certain it's necessary?
    Yes, to be reasonably certain within high statistical probability based on SA that you have CONDITION RED.

Remember that we can go from red to orange at any point during or after the draw - or not - in which case the trigger wil be pulled.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

LFI-1 or what is now known as MAG/40 isn't meant to scare an innocent person into inaction. It is meant to prepare the average law abiding person for what may "possibly" occur before, during and after a lethal force incident. MAG/40 covers the legal aspects of the encounter because most of us have little or no legal education and are completly unaware of the "trick bags" that can used against us. I'm sure we all know someone whose preparation for self defense consists of going to the range a few times a year or competing in a shooting sport, never giving the legal ramifications of using lethal force a second thought. Or the phychological problems that can occur, Mas makes the point that alcoholism and suicide are not uncommon for those who have used lethal force. There is also the ostracization of family, friends and society in general or as Mas refers to it, "the Mark of Cain". Subsequent to using lethal force a person doing so will always be seen as one who has "taken human life".

As the old saying goes "knowledge is power". Understanding the the legal, physical, phychological traumas of the fight makes them easier to defend against.
    Last edited by rick21; November 23rd, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
    DRM likes this.

If you are confronted with what you, as a reasonable person, ascertain to be actions from a threat(s) that would be reasonably expected to cause your death or serious bodily injury, then you are justified in the use of deadly force in your defense.

Bad situations tend to happen rather quickly. It is my belief (hope, prayer) that my training will guide my actions when I have an OODA loop with a time frame in tenths of a second. Knowing what to say, as well as what not to say, after a situation where you were forced to defend yourself with deadly force is quite important. This begins with the 911 call, "I was attacked and feared for my life and was forced to use my legally carried gun to defend myself". Or, if witnesses are present, make sure they are willing to give a true and accurate account of what transpired.

Another thing. I never shoot to kill. I shoot to stop the threat. If that ends in the threat dying, that's unfortunate for him...
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links